#4524415 10/22/10
C
CURLY Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Hello All,

I am considering getting a MCM Hunters Edge for a M70 Classic long action. I have used the search, and google search to attempt to find any photos of the edge stock from the top to see how narrow or slender it is.

My gun currently wears the original wood stock and is a M70 classic with the standard classic contour barrel.

I dont know if it is worth having the barrel turned down to a featherweight contour or not. I dont know the cost to have one turned, and also dont know how much weight it will save.

Another question is whether the Edge can be had with the older 2 peice factory Winchester bottom metal bottom metal, or should I spend the difference and get the ADL for a blind magazine. Preference is the 2 peice as i already have a blind magazine rifle, not an edge though.

Will the MCM be a drop in, or do I need to ship the action to them for a fitting?

Thanks,

Curly

Last edited by CURLY; 10/22/10.
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Here's my Model 70 Classic, 300 WSM, standard barrel contour in a McMillan Winchester Compact stock, which is the same pattern as the Hunter's Edge:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really like this pattern, the straight thick comb without cheekpiece is quite nice and directs recoil straight back. The swept back pistol grip and short-ish, rounded narrow forearm make for a fast handling feel that doesn't sacrifice holdability. If you doing your hunting from a benchrest this likely isn't the best pattern for you. But if you actually walk while hunting and occasionally shoot off your hind legs, the Edge pattern will do quite well.

The stock in the picture was a straight drop in. I took that picture less than five minutes after unpacking the stock. Just bolt up and shoot. I would keep the bottom metal on your gun, it will help with the overall balance as the M70 action is relatively heavy as it is. I wouldn't turn the barrel down either; my 300 WSM has the standard barrel and it balances well with a slightly muzzle heavy feel that helps to damp recoil and muzzle rise.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/22/10.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Oregon45-

I like that color combo.

I'm thinking about ordering a benchrest stock for a 40-X, and was thinking of something in a brightish blue.

What's the formula on yours? I think they have a few different blues, which is yours? And just white with it, correct?

Thanks!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Coldbore: 60% light blue, 40% white. I had one with the regular blue and it was noticeably darker, I like the light blue and white combo better.

C
CURLY Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Oregon45,

Thank you for the photos. The last photo is what I was looking for. I am looking to find a stock that is a little thinner on the comb. I dont know if the Hunters Edge is the same with a different fill?

My preference is to keep the bottom metal as it was all custom finished by Mark Penrod in a velvet blue, and is quite nice.

The other thought I had, which would be my preference if possible, is to have my original wood stock cut down. I dont know if a stock making machine could cut my stock and then I would refinish it, and have it recheckered.

The cost of a custom wood stock is beyond my budget at this time, which is why I leaning towards the Hunters Edge in the brown color. Somebody on the fire has a M70 Blued in the brown, and it was very nice looking.

Curly

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CURLY
Another question is whether the Edge can be had with the older 2 peice factory Winchester bottom metal bottom metal, or should I spend the difference and get the ADL for a blind magazine. Preference is the 2 peice as i already have a blind magazine rifle, not an edge though.

My preference is to keep the bottom metal as it was all custom finished by Mark Penrod in a velvet blue, and is quite nice.

You should be able to specify that to McMillan when ordering your stock, and they'll cut it to fit. I'd be surprised if they don't have that profile programmed in to their machines.

Will the MCM be a drop in, or do I need to ship the action to them for a fitting?

Again, if you specify exactly what you want (barrel contour, bottom metal, etc), it should drop right in. Of course, they'll also do it for you, at an additional cost.

Either pull up the McMillan website, or click on Rick Bin's link here, and you can pretty much specify whatever you want. After that, just sit back and wait...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Coldbore: 60% light blue, 40% white. I had one with the regular blue and it was noticeably darker, I like the light blue and white combo better.

Thanks Oregon45!

As always, percentages seem to be a best guess affair. Yours looks more like 70/30 or even 80/20 to me, but the exact percentages aren't that important. I just like the blue color, and think it looks good with the white.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by CURLY
Oregon45,

Thank you for the photos. The last photo is what I was looking for. I am looking to find a stock that is a little thinner on the comb. I dont know if the Hunters Edge is the same with a different fill?

Curly

The Hunter's Edge is the same pattern, but with Edge fill instead of standard. The McMillan Winchester pre-64 Monte Carlo pattern has a narrower comb and is also a nice, fast handling pattern that can be had with the Edge fill.

C
CURLY Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks Oregeon45, Just not a fan of the monte carlo.

Curly

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,577
Posts18,492,049
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.