Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'll pass on that. I only play with American made snakes.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For all of you who like snakes, you are welcome to my share.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here are a couple of pics of a pygmy rattler I recently saw. This was a particularly small one. It was only about a foot long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The ones on our lease all have a lead deficiency, but I try my best to supplement their diet.....
[Linked Image]

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by no_one
If you find playing with snakes a wee bit thrilling.....we have a sweet, docile little wonder over here called a Taipan (inland Brown).

I guarantee you that your lot will be an awful lot more exciting when you grab it by the tail.

.....for a short time, anyway!

I had a close call with one of those on a hunting trip. That was 40 years ago and I still remember it vividly.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Bengal cat that was a snake hunter. He would kill gopher snakes and bring them to the house.

My mom liked that cat because she hates snakes, my dad liked him because he would kill squirrels and eat them.

I did not like him once when he put a dead racer in my room. grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
He said, If it bites some little kid, you'll feel bad. I said, "No I won't. There are too many kids in the world and not enough pygmy rattlers."

If your serious, you have a mental problem, and no I'm not joking. I may be wrong but I'd bet money you don't have kids either do you?

That said, I don't have a problem with snakes. These days a rattler way out in the pasture even gets a pass most times. But anywhere near the house, barn, or anywhere else my family frequents the poisonous snakes get killed immediately with extreme prejudice. Rat snakes, bull snakes, etc. are welcome to hang around.

Bill

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I was pushing some fines out of a razor ditch yesterday morning w/ my tractor and noticed a copperhead in a tree about eye level.
Swung open the tractor door and shot him, got down to get him and noticed part of him still wrapped in the tree, [I thought the 45 cal. gold dot cut him in half] WRONG.. as I reached for the piece in the tree a head came around the tree to greet me HFS I said, drew and shot the 2nd snake.
I usually dont bother them, but its very dry here in OK. for this time of year, hence pushing fines out of the ditch to hold water for the deer and other game.
I have a natural ground blind just up the hill from where this took place, I often enter the blind before first light.
Still to hot here and couldnt risk it, so those 2 had to go.
Got pics but dont know how to post.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
You're right. I don't have kids and don't want any. I may have a mental problem, but my doctor says I'm fine. Do you not agree that there are too many people in the world? including kids? If not, then you have a mental problem and I'm not kidding, because they're starving around the globe.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tx270
[quote=Monolithic_Solid] These days a rattler way out in the pasture even gets a pass most times. But anywhere near the house, barn, or anywhere else my family frequents the poisonous snakes get killed immediately with extreme prejudice. Rat snakes, bull snakes, etc. are welcome to hang around.
Bill

That says it for me.
I don't hunt them down...avoidance is my rule. However, any rattler(s) encountered where people or pets frequent are immediately eliminated. Simply "risk management" in my view.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
You can keep your snakes!

Now, using a filleting knife, gently remove the tender meat taking care to avoid the boney ribs, marinate the meat in a white wine (Chardonnay works well), place on the grill until slightly warm and serve.

Me - I'll need a fifth of bourbon to eat it.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bcp
Scenes like this make me want a flame thrower.

http://www.kansasprairie.net/kansasprairieblog/?p=7888

[Linked Image]

Maybe someone can get some close-ups with a wide angle lens!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SteveG
I just like 'em.
Here's some pix from the pocket camera:

False water cobra, Argentina:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ive kept captive bred false water cobras........really cool snake, appear to have more going on in their noggin than most snakes ive kept, actually would like to keep them again, my wife even liked them.....called "cobras" cause they flatten out their neck like a hood though not as defined as most Naja species.....they are rear fanged and technically venomous but the venom molecules are particularly large and dont travel well in mammal tissue, not really a factor other than for rear fangeds they have good sized fangs.....

never did get bit by mine, unlike the pythons they hunted mainly by smell and sight not heat so they never did mistake my hand for food like most the pythons did atleast once in awhile....

Last edited by rattler; 10/23/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like 'em too... laugh

Ingwe

I like 'em dead

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
It is beyond me why so many people are afraid of snakes. Most of them are practically harmless. Even the pygmy rattlers and velvet tails where I live are quite docile and won't bite unless you step on or near them. And when they do bite, the pygmys are usually dry bites and the velvet tails are frequently dry also. Furthermore, antivenin is available in case you are bitten and it works very well, if needed. Fear can be the only motivation for wanting to kill every snake you see. I don't kill snakes.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Most of them are practically harmless.

They bloody well are not......not here!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't kill snakes. I have absolutely no reason to......

He said, If it bites some little kid, you'll feel bad. I said, "No I won't. There are too many kids in the world and not enough pygmy rattlers."

The problem here MS may not be your mental state and/or lack of compassion. It's that when you make a statement like this, very few people take you say seriously after that.

For my part, I would gladly and without a moment of hesitation stomp the life out of the last snake on this Earth to keep a little kid, or any kid from being harmed.

Also, if you're going to run with a handle like "Monolithic_Solid" and keep what appears to be a "jacketed soft point" as an avatar, you also might experience some problems with people taking what you have to say seriously. I leave open the possibility that there is some reason for the discrepancy, or perhaps you don't know the difference, or don't care.

Certainly, overpopulation is a grave issue, but not to any great extent in the areas where most of us live tapping away at out computer keyboards so the poisonous snakes that you let live in Oklahoma would be harming children that are not starving all over the globe, IF that could even reasonably used as a criteria for allowing children to be harmed.

Personally I think it was a pretty asinine statement.

Alan

Last edited by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr; 10/24/10.

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
For my part, I would gladly and without a moment of hesitation stomp the life out of the last snake on this Earth to keep a little kid...

My feeling exactly....most especially if that child is my Daughter!

Ps, on this matter I do not give a stuff what the law or popular opinion says.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't go out of my way to kill snakes, but I have had to many close encounters not to be scared. Worst was hog hunting in a swamp in Florida & a 6 1/2' rattler struck at me twice. I managed to shoot him before the third strike which may have my "out". This snake is mounted in the mouth of a 400lb. red hog. I have had several moccasins fall in my boat fishing in Santee Cooper, SC. I can assure you that I did a remarkable marathon in only a 18' bass boat. There there was the time I leaned against an ant hill in South Africa & the PH suggested I move since he had killed a cobra there last year. There has been the many turkey hunts that I shared with various snakes. Did I say I don't like snakes?

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.