-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't mind the non-poisonous varieties at all (since we don't have any of the big constrictors here...... yet) and in fact encourage them to live around my house and camp. Poisonous snakes are dispatched to whatever their eternal reward is with all expeditious haste by what ever means are at hand. If you've ever seen a snakebite, particularly a rattlesnake bite, you know it is not something you ever want to do.

Several years ago a girl at school took two copperhead bites on the top and side of her foot. It swelled up and after about a week of hobbling around on crutches, she was none the less for wear. That didn't make it OK. One of our teachers was cleaning out his garage and was carrying a box out to the trash. A three foot Rattler came out of the box and got him on the forearm. IN twelve minutes he was at the ER and had anti venom. It was a long, slow, painful recovery even for a former Marine Corps Master Sargent. Not something I ever want to do.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
you all are missing the boat with them snakes. Snake skins bring good money for bow skins and such. Anyone who wants to sell some let me know and I'll probably be able to hook you up, especially copperheads and cane breaks that are "hole free".

[Linked Image]

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bbassi.
You'll give Les nightmares with that picture.

A black widow.
With snake skined limbs and quiver.
And spider silencers.

He wake up in a cold sweat and screaming like a little girl!

smile

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mono - I think you are displaying a significant amount of ignorance. Or worse.
Readily available anti-venom is not a magical elixir that makes all boo-boos go away.

You should get a look at the horrible swelling that can still occur and the resulting appeasement that can take place to relieve it. Even after timely anti-venom.

Dry bites are a nice gift, even more common with copper heads.
A poor young boy across the river from me who loved snakes and grabbed a hold of every common water snake he could get his hands on spied a particularly fat one one day. He grabbed it behind the head, as was his custom, then knew that he had screwed the pooch when he felt the rest of the snake pushing against his chest. The result was a bite into the back of his hand.
Not a dry bite.
Horrible medical procedures to deal with the swelling.
After timely anti-venom.
Months of recovery that ended up in permanent disfigurement and disability.
After a non-dry bite.
And after timely anti-venom.

I don't mind snakes that I spy prior to stepping on them. The surprises "scare" me. I'm man enough (and smart enough) to admit that. Some get a pass. Any in what could remotely be considered a hazardous location get a death sentence.

What is the story with your name versus avatar, anyway.
Do you understand the question?

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by no_one
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Most of them are practically harmless.

They bloody well are not......not here!

That is the dividing line for snake haters vs tolerate-rs here in the Mid west.

My FIL was from WV and grew up killing every one he saw.
( always funny to see a 6'5" 300 lb hillbilly runnin from a 6" snake!)

But I guess having poisonous critters hangin out in the out house would do that!

I grew up in NE Ohio and brought home every snake I could find.
My dog would catch 'em shake em dead and follow me home with them dragging.

When I was five my mother had a fit when we filled the clothes washer with garter snakes

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You're right. I don't have kids and don't want any. I may have a mental problem, but my doctor says I'm fine. Do you not agree that there are too many people in the world? including kids? If not, then you have a mental problem and I'm not kidding, because they're starving around the globe.

You been dining with Al Gore?

I will say I'm pleased you don't plan on breeding any time soon...

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is only two snakes I hate: Satan & the one pictured by Kamerad Les

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
joe788's graphic example also shows that statistics seldom tell an entire story.

We often see statistics about how few people die of snakebite, but that ignores those who may be permanently maimed, disabled and disfigured.

Same with reports of other traumas, including military casualties. "His injuries are not considered life threatening." Yeah, but...

In this world there are a lot of bad things short of dying.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Yes, and when I was a lad of under ten in Queensland, I spent an awful lot of time catching Death Adders and Red Belly Blacks in the flood waters of the Thompson River....so what.

I defy ANY sane man to grab an angry Taipan by the bloody tail and not p!ss his pants....and if you want to cuddle a Tiger Snake I can supply you with as many as your little heart desires....same goes for Blacks, Browns and a couple of other cute wee nasties.

These bastards don't make you sick.....they can F_ing well kill you in very short order.
If you want to have a bit of excitement in your life then try dragging 'roo carcases through dry rice stubble in the dark....the rice stubble is absolutely full of the buggers.....they are there after mice, and they are p!ssed when disturbed.
I have lived and worked around them for years....out in the dark....by myself....miles from anywhere.

Stuff feeling all cuddly about them....I shall leave that to those clowns who have a death wish.

Ps, The above does not relate to Carpet snakes.....they go for Aus $100.00 a foot around here and are eagerly sought after for grain sheds and shearing sheds....to keep the vermin down.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am just like a couple in here.. I too like snakes.

Especially as a hat band or a belt and they even work as faux chicken. I even like them on the road squirming into a ball after being run over.
I lived for a time up in the Tucson Mountains back when there was almost no one up there. I think my nearest neighbor was almost a mile away. My entire family had their share of no much fun snake experiences.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I will not go out of my way to kill one..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An Inland Tiapan and a Brown snake are not the same thing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Cigar - you Bastid!

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
shoot em wenever i see em.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Reply to Joe 788
This is my "GO TO" post when people get too warm and fuzzy about Rattlesnakes.

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/

Pictures are a must see, a bit of reality

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're right. I don't have kids and don't want any. I may have a mental problem, but my doctor says I'm fine. Do you not agree that there are too many people in the world? including kids? If not, then you have a mental problem and I'm not kidding, because they're starving around the globe.

they would not starve if there wasn't so muce greed and hate in the world theres enough food and assistance in the world to go around BUT DESPOTS AND DICTATORS SEEM TO NEED MORE THAN OTHERS sick

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bassterd lol

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Malloy805
Reply to Joe 788

Man, Glad he is alive..

John
=
Waterfowler at hart along with my late Baydog 9/26/20 ..
=
=
Striving to be turdlike.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Malloy805
Reply to Joe 788

that is friggen unreal,i don't often get squemish ,but i would not want to go thru that, sick

i've walked around rattlers on hunting trips and heard them while berry picking , know enough to be careful I HOPE ,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cigar
I will not go out of my way to kill one..

might, MIGHT, be 16 feet.....no way the SOB is 50 feet.......damn thing aint dead either..... grin he looks a bit frisky but i would still catch the [bleep], just a python, been bit by the [bleep] before.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,094
Posts18,483,019
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.