-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nope but the physical trates are similar....ball pythons are chunky snakes but they come from west Africa not SE Asia.....actually a captive bread ball python is an excellent first snake as they are the python species least likely to bite and if yah have one that hits 6 foot its huge, i had a 15 year old one that was only 4 feet......the front portion of a ball python is alot skinnier than a blood though....however a wild caught ball python is about the worst pet cause they are a pain to get eating.....only was bit once by a ball and it immediatly let go unlike some other pythons.....

ball pythons heavily prey imprint so tend to like to eat what ever kind of food they started eating as babies.....my hand tasted nothing like a mouse so it immediately realized its mistake and let go.....some other pythons arent as picky and latch on and are gonna ry their damndest to eat what ever they get ahold of until you convince them other wise....i got bit by the ball cause i stuck my hand in the cage before the snake had found the mouse i had given it....it smelled the mouse but saw the heat of my hand and struck me....they have small teeth though and the mark was gone in 24 hours....

blood python
[Linked Image]

ball python
[Linked Image]

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Yeah. I've been reading that coral snakes are now listed as present in Oklahoma near the Red River. I told the ER Doc about this and he told me we don't have coral snake antivenin. He said the Oklahoma City Zoo may have some. Then, I found out that coral snake antivenin is no longer being manufactured, because the demand for it is so small and it's so expensive to make. Without antivenin, the only way to treat a patient bitten is by keeping them on life support for a couple of months until the effects of the venom wears off. Not very reassuring. Fortunately, one would literally need to stick their finger down a coral snakes throat to be bitten by one, because they have small, rear fangs.

doesnt take months for it to wear off, few days at most.....venom is a protein, and like any other protein isnt that hard to break down......also they are a front fanged elapid just like a cobra.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fortunately, one would literally need to stick their finger down a coral snakes throat to be bitten by one, because they have small, rear fangs.

Uh, I hate to split hairs here, but Coral Snakes are Elapids and their fangs are positioned in the front of the mouth, not in the rear. There are some highly dangerous "rear-fanged" snakes but none of these are found in the New World. The Boomslang and African Vine Snake are the most infamous of these. Taxonomically, these are classified as Colubrids. All Coral Snake venom is highly toxic but they are small and, generally, non-aggressive. Their biting and venom delivery method is typical Elapidae - strike, hang on, and chew.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
rattler,

OK - cool man, thanks for the clarification. Those are some great photos and do a nice job of distinguishing between the two genuses.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
also the only snake i can think of thats about impossible to get it to bite yah is the rubber boa of the western US.....had one guy that kept them swear he could dress his finger up in a mouse hide and wave it infront of the lil snakes and not get bit....

coral snakes are as willing to bite as most, less than others.....but they are a snake that isnt as likely to come into contact with ppl cause they chase lizards not rodents so are less likely to be around houses.....pick up and mess with a coral and their is better than even odds you will be bit....

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is that a picture of you in your avatar? If not, then there is an inconsistency in your name and avatar too.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pinotguy
rattler,

OK - cool man, thanks for the clarification. Those are some great photos and do a nice job of distinguishing between the two genuses.

just for clarification those arent my photos, stole them from another site......unfortunately i managed to loose most the photos from the time period i kept snakes....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yeah. The Doc told me the Crofab is a much better deal.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Next time you see a snake near your house, leave it alone and go back out the next day. See if it's still there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
BTW i call bullchit on them not hanging around.....if their are rodents they hang around.....

My BIL went down to the ranch last weekend and didn't burn his trash and didn't haul it off. The coons got into it and spread it over Kingdom Come. That's the sort of thing that makes rats. If you create a niche, something will fill it. I spend the entire year stopping up holes and putting out rat poison. Finally get an indigo to help me kill the rats and now I've got rat food all over the place again. Long ago I got rid of anything a rat could chew up to make a nest and I keep poison out all the time.

I know I'll never get rid of them all so it's best to keep the indigos. An oddity on our place is that in the 38 - 39 years that I've been going out there regularly we have killed no small rattlesnakes. All of them have been in the 5' - 6+' category. All four snakes killed last week were over 5' long. These are not young snakes and I don't understand why we don't find smaller ones.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An interesting snake story:

A friend of mind was an ARMY Ranger in Nam, on a small LRRP team.
On a mission one of the guys needed to take a dump and crawled out of their hide to do so.
Soon there was automatic weapons fire and the team ran to his rescue only to find him with his pants around his ankles, trying to reload his CAR while a huge python (or whatever they have over there) withering at his feet.
He was copping the squat when the log (snake) next to him started to crawl away and scared him half to death!
A Huey picked them and the snake up and took them back to base, where the snake became a meal...

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Next time you see a snake near your house, leave it alone and go back out the next day. See if it's still there.

you do realize i picked my user name for a reason, ive been chasing the legless things since i could walk.....and its obvious you know jack chit bout snakes given you called a coral snake rear fanged when it is the only front fanged elapid native to the US......just cause you dont see a snake in the same spot 2 days in a row dont mean its not still around, used to be a bullsnake around my grandfathers place that i knew practically on a first name basis for several years cause it had a distinctive scar where i think a hawk had tried to grab it.....was always within 100 yards of the house....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
An interesting snake story:

A friend of mind was an ARMY Ranger in Nam, on a small LRRP team.
On a mission one of the guys needed to take a dump and crawled out of their hide to do so.
Soon there was automatic weapons fire and the team ran to his rescue only to find him with his pants around his ankles, trying to reload his CAR while a huge python (or whatever they have over there) withering at his feet.
He was copping the squat when the log (snake) next to him started to crawl away and scared him half to death!
A Huey picked them and the snake up and took them back to base, where the snake became a meal...

woulda likely been a reticulated python.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pinotguy
The Boomslang and African Vine Snake are the most infamous of these.

The only poisonous snake I've seen in three African safaris was a vine snake. We were hunting buffalo in the jess when I saw a snake on a branch just above the head of a tracer. He walked under it as did the PH and other tracker. It wasn't the color of a mamba and I figured that they had all seen it and didn't bother mentioning it at the time.

Later that night at dinner the subject of snakes came up and I mentioned to Rory that we'd walked by a snake. He was surprised and asked when. I said that he had walked right under it, just a few inches from his head.

He asked, "It was in a TREE?!". I then described the event and described the snake. He then says, "That was a vine snake! There's not bloody cure if one of those bites you!" He then went on about how they are not that aggressive. But I got the message that I should mention these things in the future.

In retrospect I was glad I resisted the urge to poke at it with my rifle barrel.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Originally Posted by rattler
BTW i call bullchit on them not hanging around.....if their are rodents they hang around.....

My BIL went down to the ranch last weekend and didn't burn his trash and didn't haul it off. The coons got into it and spread it over Kingdom Come. That's the sort of thing that makes rats. If you create a niche, something will fill it. I spend the entire year stopping up holes and putting out rat poison. Finally get an indigo to help me kill the rats and now I've got rat food all over the place again. Long ago I got rid of anything a rat could chew up to make a nest and I keep poison out all the time.

I know I'll never get rid of them all so it's best to keep the indigos. An oddity on our place is that in the 38 - 39 years that I've been going out there regularly we have killed no small rattlesnakes. All of them have been in the 5' - 6+' category. All four snakes killed last week were over 5' long. These are not young snakes and I don't understand why we don't find smaller ones.

Alan

the indigos were prolly eating the small ones but the big ones were to big to tackle or something....indigos will eat sneakes and appear immune to rattler venom though they are just as happy eating rats and mice.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You need to read up on your coral snakes. They are indeed related to the cobra, but are rear fanged. I'm not sure how long it takes the venom to wear off without antivenin. I was citing the website I read it on.

they are an elapid......by definition elapids are front fanged.....try again.....

As characteristic of Elapid snakes, the Eastern Coral snake has permanent, erect, hollow proteroglyphous fangs near the front of the maxillae

http://people.wcsu.edu/pinout/herpetology/mfulvius/index.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
skull of a coral snake.....fangs in the front of the skull
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My mistake. I see now, the coral snake has small, front fangs.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A few days at most? Well then there's no reason to fear snakes at all then, so you can sleep easily now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, I use my real name and a picture that I took. Now if I had that picture and used the screen name "Buck in a parking lot on a sunny day" that would be inconsistent. Like I said, you really don't need my help with this ignorance thing you've got going, but I'm glad to be of service. Even when you google for information you can't seem to get it right. Why do you expect to be taken seriously when you can't do that.

I'm sure you have an area of expertise, trying sticking to that. Evidently herpetology and solving the world overpopulation problem are not your forte'. Better yet, why don't you just "man up" and admit that kids getting snake bit is OK with you because there are too many of them is an asinine statement. Do that and I might consider letting the whole avatar inconsistency thing drop.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.