Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Sorry. I didn't know you were so sensitive.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
You This whole thing started because I didn't kill a pygmy rattlesnake.
becuase you showed such disregard for childrens lives

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
God. I've never encountered so many stupid MFs in one place before.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's crazy! Glad your Dog made it!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Sorry.

Yes, I think that you may be correct.....you are indeed sorry.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I understand now, why English people are offended when someone mistakes them for Australian.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I see it's useless, trying to explain something so complex, to people who are so simple minded, they believe the Earth is less than 7,000 years old.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I understand now, why English people are offended when someone mistakes them for Australian.

Yes, they sent us to a place with thousands of miles of brilliant white beaches, billions of tons of mineral wealth, year round glorious weather, fishing to dream about....and a stable economy!

Whilst they have.....!

Yep.....I can see why nobody wants to be an Australian.

Ps, but wait a minute........some of my ancestors were here over 40 000 years ago, enjoying the beaches, fishing, Glorious weather.....!

Guess I must be doubly cursed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God. I've never encountered so many stupid MFs in one place before.

you've never been to a Democrat rally?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I am betting he has.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You were the one who said they were front fanged. I got that info from you. I learned most of what I know about venomous snakes before we had access to the internet. This whole thing started because I didn't kill a pygmy rattlesnake.

funny thing is so did i......nothing magically happened since the internet happened that coral snakes were suddenly discovered to be elapids.....been common knowledge for over 100 years...

and the only reason i got half high and mightly bout likely being the only one that knows much about teh false water cobras originally pictured is i know enough about the species in captivity to know very few are offered for sale every year.....they are an odd ball species most dont want to work with......would have put $100 down on me knowing the most about them cause from previous threads i know very few guys here are snake ppl and even fewer are interested in large rear fanged colubrids....

this whole thing started cause you seem to think you know more bout snakes than ppl that have actually worked with them for a long time....and then you got pissy when our experience showed different than what some one told you......

Last edited by rattler; 10/25/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just like dead snakes.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have read that the Mohave rattler has the most toxic venom of all the rattle snakes in North America.

Just a few weeks ago, a rattler escaped from the Atlanta Zoo and was found a few days later. The news paper article said it was a Tiger Rattlesnake, and was the most toxic of all rattlesnakes.

I had never heard of it, so I Googled it. According to Google, it is found in Northern Mexico and does have the 2nd most toxic venom of all rattle snakes. I can't think of the name of the No. 1, but from what I read, the Mohave is in third place as far as toxic venom goes.

Could Rattler, or anyone else give more information on these three rattlesnakes.

Near where I live, there are, or was, a group of people who handled venonous snakes. In an office I worked in, a ladie's FIL did this. One day he was bitten on his face by a Timber Rattler. He refused medical treatment for about 2 days, then he went, or his relatives took him to the hospital, but he had waited too long.

The doctors were unable to save him, but I do not know what type of treatment they tried. Probably IVs and anti-venom.

Although on LD 50 charts, the Timber and Canebreak do not rate as high as many other venomous snakes, the fatality percentage among people bitten by them is higher than average for some more venomous snakes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Timber/Canebrake are fairly high on the list but are relatively timid and not prone to bite.

The most dangerous, I believe, is the neo tropical rattlesnake. What makes them so deadly is the wide diversity of venom makeup from location to location. They're another with a mix of neurotoxin and hemotoxin but it changes rapidly as you move through their natural range. Anti-venin serum from a population 100 miles away is likely to do more harm than good because it's just not the right mix. Even from specimen to specimen, caught in the same area, there can be such wide difference that serum isn't probably going to work. Another problem is, since they grow quite large, they can inject a surprising quantity in a single bite.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LD 50 ratings are but one factor.....as far as cobras go the king cobra aint particularly toxic but give the snake is so damn big it also has volume......my local prairie rattlers are more toxic than an eastern diamondback but the eastern diamond back is more likely to kill you cause its a bigger snake.....

the reason timbers and canebreaks tend to kill more ppl than say a mohave is cause more ppl live where they live and have much larger ranges.....its a numbers game, more ppl come into contact with timbers....

you pretty well covered it on the tiger ratter, and mohave....the rating is based on who did the study and where the venom was injected into the animal....venom into an artery kills alot faster and takes less than the same venom into muscle or delivered just under the skin....they are just other species of rattlers.....general rule is the farther south you go in the Americas the more likely the rattler you run into will have neurotoxic venom....rattlers of Central and South America generally run to the neurotoxic end of the spectrum and not so much on the muscle destroying end like most US rattlers and copperheads and cottonmouths....

Last edited by rattler; 10/25/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW the third snake your prolly looking for on the list is the midget faded rattler from Colorado and Wyoming and it was of an intravenous study.....look at other studies and the tiger rattles and midget faded hardly rate.....where certain types of venom is injected matters about as much as what kind of venom.....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Knew I shouldn't have read this thread...

I couldn't give a hoot in hell if a poisonous snake is common, exotic, rear-fanged, front-fanged, hemotoxic or neurotoxic. They all give me the heebie jeebies. I know they have their place in the ecology -- just not in my personal ecology. If it's poisonous and in my immediate vicinity, it's subject to termination with extreme prejudice.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"the reason timbers and canebreaks tend to kill more ppl than say a mohave is cause more ppl live where they live and have much larger ranges.....its a numbers game,"

True, however, I have read that the timbers and canebreaks cause more fatalities than the toxology of their venom would indicate they should.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1234567
"the reason timbers and canebreaks tend to kill more ppl than say a mohave is cause more ppl live where they live and have much larger ranges.....its a numbers game,"

True, however, I have read that the timbers and canebreaks cause more fatalities than the toxology of their venom would indicate they should.

ppl not getting to help on time....based on the toxicity of their venom king cobras should kill as many as they do till you factor in volume produced and able to inject, same with a eastern diamondback.....a russels viper has half the toxisity of a monocled cobra but russels vipers kill more ppl? why they produce more venom......

timber rattler venom is nothing to sneeze at.....they are more toxic than species that kill far more ppl.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i know when you get bit on a finger its not a good idea to tie a string around it and go out and shoot pool and have a few beers before going to the hospital. a buddy of mine found that out the hard way. spent 8 days in ICU

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,916
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.