Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I remember reading posts about the effectiveness of this type of bullet (actually a Berger) - on deer. I don't remember if the benefit was specific to one bullet weight - and if anyone has ever used Sierra Match" or "Match-King" bullets on deer at reduced velocities.

I used the Remington Reduced Recoil bullets to introduce my small and young daughters to a rifle I consider optimal for deer - a Remington Ti 700 in 7mm-08. One daughter, after shooting it (and very well - at targets) said firing this rifle (compared to her .22 rimfire) was "a rush" !

I am looking for the optimum light-weight bullet to shoot out of a 7mm-08 at significantly reduced velocities - around 2400 to 2500 fps at the muzzle. The shots on game will be limited to around 200 yards, or less.

I am considering using easy-to-open, light-weight bullets for this purpose. Are there any lighter bullets anyone can recommend for this purpose.

I'm open to hearing about any light-weight 7mm bullets, from other brands, that might also be considered optimal for deer - when fired at reduced velocities.

I was going to buy my daughters a 223 to introduce them to deer hunting, but seeing how much they love shooting the Remington reduced loads in the 7mm-08 - I now see no reason to do so. Besides, being in B.C. when you are hunting for deer, you often bump into larger game, and because of this, I rather they were packing the 7mm-08.

What are your thoughts gentlemen?

Last edited by BCBrian; 10/25/10. Reason: add info

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"ve never shot a slow matchking... Since they are not designed like normal hollowpoints, but basically a ballistic hollow point, I would almost fear that a reduced load would give a pencil through...

I keep hearing the nosler ballistic tip 120 in 7mm specifically... is a hardy bullet... that might do just about right.

The 2 BIG keys though, and you know this already.... SOFT recoil pad is a must, and ear protection!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Can't help you with the SMK's but wasn't it the Berger VLD's that were so great on deer, have you considered those?

The church is near, but the roads are icy. The pub is far away, but I will walk carefully.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Actually, you are right- it was Berger!

But, after checking, I see they make no light-weight bullets in 7mm.

And yes, the biggest complaint (and I believe - cause of most flinching) when firing is often the muzzle blast.

At the range, my daughters always use foam insets AND over-the-ear muffs.

Doing that makes a lot of difference.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Nosler 120 BT is a DRT bullet in my 7-30 Waters, and it launches at almost exactly the speed range you mention. I haven't killed a deer with it, but do use the Speer 120 softpoint as a cheaper practice bullet with the same loads. I'd have few if any qualms about shooting a deer with one, based on its effect on chucks.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is the Speer 120 still available?

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I see Hornady makes a 100 grain bullet that they rate as being effective for deer. Anyone tried that one?

I may just go with the Tipped Barnes TSX's in 120 grain, as I have lots of those on hand. It's just that with Barnes products, I wonder about their low velocity performance a bit more compared with some of other brands.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for the 120 NBT.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sierra used to offer a 130gr .284 spitzer in their Pro Hunter line that was designed for single shot pistols. I don't know if it is still available, but you might check.

I can't tell you how it will perform at 2400fps, but I can tell you that they will turn a coyote inside out at 3000fps grin.

ego operor non tutela
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you check Hodgdon's Annual Manual, you will find an article with load data on doing exactly that with the TSX.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gadfly
Sierra used to offer a 130gr .284 spitzer in their Pro Hunter line that was designed for single shot pistols. I don't know if it is still available, but you might check.

I can't tell you how it will perform at 2400fps, but I can tell you that they will turn a coyote inside out at 3000fps grin.

Used the same thing but their 30-30 pistol version.... Never again.. Lucky my wife center punched the heart on her 8 point with the 30-30 TC.... 30 cal in, 30 cal out... not even a drop of blood where the deer fell... moved right on over to 125 barnes X and they work much better...

But for this particular instance I'd be thinking hard... 120 nos bts.. and I hate bts...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I started my 13 y/o daughter with 140gr NBT's at about 2350FPS. Her first shot at game was an eight point at 183 lazed yards. Like most heart shot deer, it ran about 75 yards. I figured (and still do) that the load would work well at 200 yards or less.

She's got married last month at the age of 26 and the mount has a place of honor in her first house.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Jeff, you must live in the bizarro universe where Sierra bullets don't open easy enough. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I load my 78 year old dad's .308 with 125 gr. Ballistic Tip bullets at 2,600 fps. Recoil and blast is mild, the load worked out to be very accurate, with the added benefit that it is within 1 1/2" of point of aim of full power 165 gr. handloads. I wish I could report on terminal effect, but the old feller hasn't been able to seal the deal with them in the last couple of years.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
I started my 13 y/o daughter with 140gr NBT's at about 2350FPS. Her first shot at game was an eight point at 183 lazed yards. Like most heart shot deer, it ran about 75 yards. I figured (and still do) that the load would work well at 200 yards or less.

She's got married last month at the age of 26 and the mount has a place of honor in her first house.

I hope my own daughters do the same someday!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I hunted with a rem 7BR with the 120gr NBT for a number of years. Velocity was in the 2500fps range and had no problem taking deer. My youngest son killed a doe with it at a lasered 264yds.Rick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got several boxes of Sierra 6.5 140gr Match Kings lying around doin nothing...tried them only once on deer with my 264 and it penciled right on through...doe stood and started walking as if nothing had happened and then went down about 40 yds later.After field dressing the wound channel was the size of a silver dollar ..no destroyed or bloodshot meat to contend with but not an effective bullet!!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably shouldn't comment, but can't help myself.

If you didn't recover the bullet, FlyboyFlem, you don't know that it didn't expand. A silver dollar-sized wound channel seems to indicate that it might have.

But if it didn't, all you really learned is that match bullets aren't meant for game - as that company bends over backwards to explain.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,you're right it may have expanded somewhat but I've never in my life killed a deer or goat that absolutely didn't react in some way to getting hit like this one did..this was a classic boiler room shot at about and I'm guessing here 120yds max...I was running these around three grand and have always felt they wouldn't be any better at lower velocities..could be wrong though. Guess I'll never know cause haven't used them since!!

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Federal sells a load with a 120 gr BTSP for the 7-30 Waters. You might want to poke around and find out who makes that bullet.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257Bob, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.