Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I have been searching for a straight answer to this question without success. I've read a number of very positive comments about the quality of the new FN-manufactured Model 70s. I want to how the extractors on these rifles are made. Are they MIM or cast parts that need replaced by a Williams extractor, or is it a quality part as it comes from the factory?

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just ordered one today for my LH Classic and I asked the very same question. I was told by the gentleman in their parts department that the extractor is forged and not casted. If true, I suppose this would potentially obviate the need for a Williams aftermarket. And the price was the same as the Williams though I was told it is not a Williams manufactured product.

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Surely some of our gunwriters are in the know on this.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In the early Classics, the extractor was MIM'd. At some point they switched to machined extractors, I think Williams but I cannot remember. It was easy to tell which it was as the machined extractors were stainless not black on wood guns. I cannot say for sure, but I believe the new ones are machined also.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The new extractors are spring steel and not MIM'd,at least the one's I've had are....who exactly makes them I'm not sure. In any event they have worked very well for me.

On the Classics you can identify the MIM extractors by the presence of a line(s) etched onto the extractor near the head of the bolt. IIRC a magnum extractor has two lines,and a standard extractor has one(or vice versa).

Last edited by BobinNH; 10/27/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
DO the MIM ones not work? Or do you just think they don't work?

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by reelman
DO the MIM ones not work? Or do you just think they don't work?

I am sure they will work. I'm just not sure for how long. The two rifles I am comparing are the new Winchester Model 70 and the CZ 550. The CZ is made of quality steel, including the extractor. The rifles are priced competitively. If the Winchester is of at least equal quality, I would prefer to purchase it. I expect my firearms to last a lifetime and more, and will not waste money on one not built to do so.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Who makes the one piece steel bottom metal on the current FN Safari, and who makes the Safari extractor?? I'm getting mixed info, I had heard that the steel unit on the Safari is no longer Williams, and I've heard some say they no longer use the Williams extractor, but I've also heard that this is not the case. In addition, I've also heard that the current FN stock is no longer made by Winchester but is jobbed out to one of the Italian manufacturers to save money. Can anyone post some facts to prove or disprove any of this???

It makes it sound as if Williams was cut by USRAC to cut costs, and if so, they may be hurting. I hope this is not the case.

Thanks for any Input

I posted this question to the Gunwriters forum back in August, but no one responded with an answer.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Has anybody heard of any failures with MIM extractors? Maybe the MIM will actually last longer than a steel one!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by reelman
Has anybody heard of any failures with MIM extractors? Maybe the MIM will actually last longer than a steel one!

I've had MIM failures in a couple of handgun parts. I swapped out for heat treated tool steel and all has been well since. I think at least one 1911 maker tried MIM extractors in their pistols but stopped that pretty quickly. I would strongly prefer spring steel based on my couple of bad experiences and from what I've read about MIM handgun parts.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a Classic M70 SS/walnut FWT in .30-06 that has a faint line on the front of the extractor. I've been shooting it year in and year out since 1996 without a hiccup. I suppose if it goes it will be more than just a hiccup... Is it supposed to be an etched line or a raised line, like a vent line on a cast boolit? And what is the orientation of the line in relation to the face of the extractor?

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ive had a mimed extractor break on a featherweight. Replaced it with a williams which works perfectly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now ya'll got me paranoid about my extractor breaking...

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a New Haven feathereweight which had the MIM extractor. The rifle always had a "hitch" when feeding, it would always feed but not smoothly, sort of a "catchy" feeling as it was feeding sort of like a the cartridge was trying to hang up. I replaced the MIM extractor with a Williams and it now feeds as well as any pre-64 (including some pre-war models) that I have ever owned. If you are experiencing a similar problem take a look at your extractor.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope, no problems, feed like greased ball bearings.

Selmer

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
MIM is like any other process, done right it is good, done bad it is bad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Selmer: That line is the one to which I refered.Yours is a MIM.

problem with them,as I understand it, is that they do nt spring back the way spring steel does.The M70 extractor depends on spring tension to hold the case to the bolt face.Spring steel does it better.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine picks it up immediately out of the magazine and I can run it back and forth with no problems. But I'd hate for it to fail in the middle of a hunt. $38 for a Williams extractor seems like pretty cheap insurance to me...

Selmer

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thank you to those who responded. Just so I understand correctly; the new FN-made model 70s have spring steel extractors. Correct?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes.

Or at least every one I've looked at.

Last edited by McCray; 10/29/10.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1941USMC, 22250rem, 58 invisible), 2,877 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,798
Posts18,536,580
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.