Print Thread
Hop To
N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I am wanting to get a set of smaller general purpose binos. 7 or 8 power, 32-36 objectives. Something easy to carry and not spend to much.

What are the best options? I see the new Bushnell legends have ED glass, what else is in the ball park. Is it likely that if I wait year there will be a number of good ED binos in the price range?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm not sure that at this price level you'll get any real benefit from ED glass, so you may be limiting yourself unnecessarily.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a set of Minox 8x32 in the BL series a few years ago, and quickly sold my 10x42 BLs. Very handy glass, especially for stillhunting in the timber! Got them from Doug at Cameraland, great guy to deal with, btw.

Last edited by patbrennan; 10/29/10.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At that price range I would spend a little more ($339) and get the soon the be phased out current version of the 8x32 Viper by Vortex. Both Eagle Optics and Doug at Camaraland now have them at that $339 price which is down from $559. I would buy a Vortex product any day or at least in today's days, over a Bushnell product, simply for the service and warranty you get with Vortex products-it is outstanding. Bushnell-not so much.

Vortex is going to upgrade the Viper next year-so that is the reason for the discount. I have the 6x32 Viper and it is considered right now to be the best in the 6x class (but it is a very small class). I have the 8x32 Pentax ED that I got at a very good price, or I would probably own the 8x32 Viper.

See the post review that I am linking from a birding newsletter who did a 30-32 mm comparison, and the 8x32 Viper did very, very well. It is certainly not an all encompassing review and not the final word, but gives you some info. and tells you that the viper is good especially for the price. Take it for whats it worth.

Here is the summary chart:
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/chart_main.html

and here is there full review:

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/index.html

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are several things to consider about this review. PLEASE note the plate glass window they are looking through in the photos. Other than that this seems to be a pretty well done review.

Note also this is biased for magnification as there is no mention of correction for the 7x magnification. The USAF chart will always give resolution advantage to higher magnification, particularly at the closer ranges that the chart is useful. Close resolution may not be the same as distance resolution. The correlation is close, but I don't think absolute.

Another thing is to note that this is a mid size comparison and the ZEN ED2 and Hawke x36 models are not really compact models. Neither are they really full sized either, so it is hard to place them in a fit and feel category with smaller binoculars. So adjust the the magnification difference (resolution) and eliminate the fit and feel score, biased toward smaller glass and the score of both the Hawke and ZEN RAY glass goes up quite a bit. Even at 7x, the ZEN ED 2 resolution score beats half of the binoculars ranked above it. Given the extra 1x of magnification the same design Hawke 8x36 beats all but four of the glass ranked above it.

I don't want to pick too much on this because it is a fairly well thought out review (except for the plate glass thing). If they are going to do this then post the review for everything. Also it points out that in a rather inclusive review with a large number of binoculars it is really hard to evaluate a lot of glass.

noKnees

As regards your question about ED glass, its prime advantage is better color and in particular the elimination or at least substantial reduction of chromatic abberation and color fringing. So the main advantage ED will accrue is to the viewer who is sensitive to seeing chromatic abberation or color fringing. The color thing can be pretty marginal and you almost have to have an ED and a non ED model of the same binocular to see the color improvement

Last edited by SteveC99; 10/29/10.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
there is a nice review on those ED binoculars.

http://opticstalk.com/zenray-ed2-7x36-binoculars_topic21463.html

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I think I am going to try a set of the 8x32 vipers.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think you made a good choice; especially considering the current price for those. Enjoy them!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Theses are nice binos too, from Dougs sale list , Minox 62122 BD 8x32 BR ASPH only $199.99

N
noKnees Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I received my Vortex viper 8x32's today. my day to day Binos have been a set of Bushnell legends 8x32's and after just 10 min of inspection and side by side, I must say the Vipers are impressive.

Not only is there a significant improvement in image quality, especially at the edge of the field of view, but the ergonomics of the vipers make the Bushnells ( which I must say gave good service for the $130 I paid) feel like a rock in my hands.

One other note:
I ordered these yesterday afternoon from Cameralandny and they arrived this morning Fedex ground, I almost paid for express shipping to get them for the weekend and glad I didn't. they must have been on the truck within minutes of my order.

Also had two small extra's in the box..

Very happy with the choice.

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Doug don't not rock... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that VA, I ordered a pair of 10x28 Hurricane's from him the other day. They do their biz very well!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 15 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.