Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Carrying two packs seems a lot stranger than carrying a Neo Air and CC foam pad.
Maybe its just that Taylor is so abrasive?

Ed T

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

An overly expensive inflatable pad that deflates and you have to send it through the mail back to the manufacturer. Sometimes twice.

Apparently it has happened.

When it gets cold: don't use it.

I've used mine in the 20's with a 20 oz. top bag and slept fine. Partner has had his in single digits without issue.

Can't get it back into its stuff sack.

It doesn't require one to function or pack well.

Put a closed-cell foam pad on top of it and there are no problems.

Exactly...comfort and redundancy seem good to me in a sleeping system. GG ThinLight works for 2-5.7 oz. in standard widths.

Closed-cell foam never fails unless you drop it in a fire.

True, and most of us own some of them too. They are a better choice for certain trips.

When you guys give up the inflatable pads you'll get a good night's sleep every time

I sleep great in the hills; must be my clear conscience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Carrying two packs seems a lot stranger than carrying a Neo Air and CC foam pad.
Maybe its just that Taylor is so abrasive?
That could be I reckon, he doesn't beat around the bush and some people don't like it. I think he was actually saying that if your sleeping outside in below 20 temps to use both, maybe I'm not reading it right.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't carry two sleeping pads or a liner for my sleeping bag, either.

My internal pack and then frame weigh less than most "backpack hunters'" pack alone.

My point is that a backpack hunter should seek gear that works, not gear that needs an accessory in order to work.

I find that there are many gearheads on this forum and very few backpack hunters, therefore, talk of accessorizing the accessory is appealing!

Taylor

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
I find that there are many gearheads on this forum and very few backpack hunters, therefore, talk of accessorizing the accessory is appealing!

Taylor

Yup, and I find that there's one or two blowhards on this forum, too.

Saying people like Brad and EdT aren't backpack hunters is pretty funny though.

Personally, I don't see why some people take such a keen interest in what others carry/don't carry on their backs to the point of criticism.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole

Taylor

Yup, and I find that there's one or two blowhards on this forum, too.

Saying people like Brad and EdT aren't backpack hunters is pretty funny though.

I'll bet Marc could outrun EdT though! (Sorry, I couldn't resist that!)

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

My internal pack and then frame weigh less than most "backpack hunters'" pack alone.

My point is that a backpack hunter should seek gear that works,
Taylor

Your internal and frame weigh 2 lb 9 oz? Wow!

My first backpack hunt was in 1974 BTW.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My first backpack hunt was in 1974 BTW.

That's something we've got in common Ed. The difference being that I was a few months old and riding in a Gerry kid carrier. I'm guessing you were carrying your own pack...

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have a need to accessorize your gear to adjust for conditions/comfort (e.g. add a ccf pad -- in this case a very thin and light one -- to an inflatable for warmth), I'm not quite sure what the problem is, especially if you still end up with something lighter than most other options. Some companies sell sleeping bags designed to go together as a system because used alone they don't cover all situations. Doesn't seem to be an uncommon or unreasonable approach.

Ed T or Brad not a a backpack hunter??? Now that was funny. What's amazing is that they're still alive after using down bags all those years. wink

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CCH

Ed T or Brad not a a backpack hunter??? Now that was funny. What's amazing is that they're still alive after using down bags all those years. wink

True but both of those weenies have failed to perform the super special pour water in and on your bag circus stunt. cool

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I like to bring a z-rest along a lot of times just to use to sit on when I lounge around the campfire or sit down to glass. But I find an inflatable much more comfortable to sleep on. Inflatables aren't any good around fires or rocks though so sometimes I bring both.

I'm really sorry if that offends some people. Really I am.

Never thought of it as "accesorizing," hell, the colors don't even match my purse.

I've been known to lug in some steaks and pork chops to cook over the fire the first few nights out too. Beats the hell out of Mountain House. Never had anyone who was along for the trip tell me I was carrying too much weight and doing it wrong, at least once they smelled the sizzle.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
smokepole, that reminds me. What area are you putting in for next year? I'm thinking that a hunt where you pack all that good stuff in and Westy packs all the meat out would be some kind of nice. laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's a secret.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And I'm the only one who wants to know. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read somewhere once that a true friend was someone that packed in 2 thick steaks and a cast iron skillet to cook them in. True freind or at least someone that got invited back the next time! laugh Was that you?...............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It wasn't me, I've been known to pack in extra stuff (mostly food) but a skillet is way over the top.

I do like my Purcell Trench grill though, made with tubular stainless steel, light as a feather. You can use it to grill meat or cook with a pot over a fire. I like the Streamside Packer model because it's best for fish:

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CCH
And I'm the only one who wants to know. laugh

Yup, and that's why it's a secret.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mr. smokepole,
Have not seen that one before. Will be ordering the Streamside Packer next week.
Thanks for the advice.
Best Wishes

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Cool, and you're welcome. Use it in good health!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djpaintless
I read somewhere once that a true friend was someone that packed in 2 thick steaks and a cast iron skillet to cook them in. True freind or at least someone that got invited back the next time! laugh Was that you?...............................DJ

Back in the 90s I did a 10 day long backpack trip into the Wind River range. One of my clients hiked in with his gear and back out to bring several 12 packs of beer to us at base camp!
That man was(and is) a hero, I tell ya, a hero.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 50 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,220
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.