Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not a 308 kind of guy, my preference lies with the 6.5 bore, particularly the 260 Rem..

I also don't have one of Savage's FT/R rifles... although looking to put a copy of that barrel on one of my Savage Actions..

but as far as having a 'bent barrel'... my most accurate rifle is a Pac Nor barrel that was a reject of theirs... because the chamber supposedly wasn't straight ( so I assume what is being called "bent" here)

I tested 15 different powders with this rifle.. and only one was not overly impressive ( H 4895).. the rest were more than acceptable accuracy... and H 414 was hands down nothing short of stellar...

with a 'bent barrel'... the chambering is 6mm Rem with a one in 7 twist...I shoot 75 grain HP Hornadys to 115 grain Bergers out of it..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have got chewed on pretty hard on a few other forums for stating the fact that a few factory rifles i have owned shoot as well as my customs. I had a rem 700 varmint (old bdl style) in 308 that shot as well as my GAP and RD 308. I have a 10fp that had galled lugs when i bought it(cheap) and it still shot well enough. I have no doubt that those are factory rifles that team shoots ( maybe hand picked factory rifles though)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by savage62
there conter partneer stevens 200 are great rifles also an group like savages i have them
Your right about the stevens 200 shooting good. My friend bought one a while back and it shot less than 1/2 inch groups the first time whe took it out. This was with factory remington coreloks. I gernerally don't like pushfeed rifles, but this one makes me want to get one. Savages have an excellent reputation for out of the box accuracy and I can testify to it first hand.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FC363
These guys obviously aren't using a factory barrel because the one I replaced had a big, crooked chamber, and the bore looks like it was cut with a dull chisel.

If you think the barrels they used are factory, ask them if you can borescope it. whistle

For sure!!!!!

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look at the PA 1000 yard club and Montana 1000 yard club and look at standings and world records,Not many savages shown mostly all are customs,Nesika,Lawton,Bat,stiller etc. Krieger,Lawton,broughton etc barrels. I don't see hardly anything Savage.Savages shoot good but I don't think they shoot the best.The remington 700 platform is the most copied and used benchrest action I can think of.And has been very successful.

1 and done
IC B2

B
BMT Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The NEw world Record id what it is . . . . .

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know that SAVAGE makes a very accurate factory, right out the box rifle! I now own 3 of those rifles, 22-250,.204 and .223 calibers. However, they are very accurate for me, meaning they will shoot with my handloads, 1/2-MOA or better at the rifle range.

Now when you start to speak of "world records", YES I agree that you will NOT find any 700 BDL Remingtons, model 70 Winchester, Marlins, Mossbergs or SAVAGES in those listings of record holders at that level of competition. Those Boys are using $3,500 dollar and up products to set records with at the range. Barrels like HART, SHILLEN, KRIGER, LILJA etc.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It just goes to show that you can pull an ugly turd out of the punch bowl and win a competition.

I believe it that those Savage rifles do shoot stock barrels,
but I don't believe they were random out of the box rifles.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
"I believe it that those Savage rifles do shoot stock barrels,
but I don't believe they were random out of the box rifles."

bingo......

read the post wondering the same thing.. if i owned savage and assembled a team to shoot my "factory" rifles i would certainly have my best smiths assembling them with care... all factory but some extra attention to detail... absolutely nothing wrong with that. nothing....

anyone can do the same... without spending 3k plus...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bought a Model FCP-K earlier this year.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPK
168gr A-max/44gr RL15/Federal gold medal brass and primers have delivered groups as small as .009" at 10yds for three shots, with the five shot group average right at .3". Clay pigeons at 300 meters are dead meat. One rifle I'll never get rid of.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"as small as .009" at 10yds for three shots"

Ten yards...really?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, but it'll do it at 100, too. blush

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by David_Walter
That's what I'm talking about.

I notice those advocating out of the box remingtons are silent on you post.

OK. I'll speak up. Savage...absoutely the best tomatoe stake on the market...right out of the box. grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Accurate tomato stakes, though. wink A guy at the range yesterday was shooting his 6BR F class Savage. Shoots 1/2 minute to 600yds, so far. That's all the farther he's had a chance to shoot it.

Robert E. Howard
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I detest the looks of a Savage rifle. However, one cannot argue the fact that they shoot--very well.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by FC363
These guys obviously aren't using a factory barrel because the one I replaced had a big, crooked chamber, and the bore looks like it was cut with a dull chisel.

If you think the barrels they used are factory, ask them if you can borescope it. whistle

Your experience is proof that they weren't shooting factory tubes just like that one extractor failure on a 700 way back when was proof that all 700s sucked.

Bad logic there...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A friend of mine gave me a Savage model 116 in 7 Mag, fantastic piece of wood. I sent it to Sharp shooters Suppy and had the trigger adjusted(honed and re sprung to 1 1/2 lbs), pillar bedded, and a vias muzzle break added.

Standard loads for about any 7 mag is 65-65.5g of IMR 4350 with a 9 1/2 in a Rem cases, adjust seating depth to touch lands and you should be shooting screamer groups.

Well, I went through this drill with this savage 116. I use an old B & L 36x for load testing. I was getting groups (3shot) that measured from 0.129-0.225 with 140g NOsler ballistic tips.

Accuracy started going down hill at the 15 round mark to about 1" groups due to copper fouling. I knew that shooting would smooth the barrel up over time, but this was not target rifle, just a deer rifle.

One thing that needs fixing at the factory on the stock factory rifles is that all the bolt faces are concave, Sharp shooter sells a bolt head that has been milled perfectly flat.

I just inherited two Savage model 12 BVVS in 223 with 5 oz Sharp Sharp Shooter triggers, I'm going to see what is what with these rifles.

We have a gun club about an hour's drive from the house. They shoot 300 and 400 yard matches, Stock savages do quite well in these matches.

I am really curious as to how the Savage action handles the pressures of Max loads for that rifle. From looking at the bolt head, there seems to be some flex between the removable bolt head and the bolt body.

Years ago, I had a flock of the solid bottom savage 112 J's in 220 Swift, 25/06, and one 243. I learned real quick to just scrub hell out of them with JB and good bronze bristle brushes from the get go...accuracy was outstanding. I shot the barrels out of them and sold the action and stock to a bunch of shooters that shot lead bullet competition with Elmer Shook in S. Ca.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (280Ackleyrized, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 1936M71, 45 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,046
Posts18,521,156
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.