Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's all over but the shouting, just give them the cup now!

DENVER � It's far from a goaltending controversy, but the Canucks know full well there is no drop-off when they play their backup.

Playing for the first time in 13 days, Cory Schneider was razor sharp, gave up a single goal, stopped 33 shots and was unlucky for the second time in three

starts to not get his first NHL shutout.

The way he's playing there will be plenty more opportunities.

His numbers are gaudy: a 3-0-3 record, a goals against of 0.90 and a save percentage of .969.

In Thursday's 3-1 win here, only Colorado rookie David Van Der Gulik with 3:08 left in the game could beat him as the Avs crashed the Vancouver crease.

In his last start, a 5-1 win over Minnesota, the Wild scored with 2:35 left to ruin the shutout bid.

�It's in the back of your mind, but at the end of the day it's not so important,� said Scheider, 24. �I'd rather give up one goal and get the win. It would have been nice to get it out of the way.�

It was close, as a Canucks defenceman got knocked down in rugby scrum at the crease and bumped Schneider, who couldn't get to the high shot.

Schneider, who oozes confidence on the ice, didn't have to make a huge number of big stops, but the most crucial may have come on Matt Duchene early in the second period when the Avs' centre broke across the low slot, but Schneider made a glove save on the backhander. The chance was just after Henrik Sedin had scored to make it 2-0 and the takeaway swing was huge.

It was nearly two weeks between games for Schneider, but even though he's been used to playing a ton in the minors, he worked hard to stay ready.

�At first you're a little rusty, but you feel the puck and you make that big save early and that helps boost your confidence,� he said. �But I've been working hard in practice and keeping my conditioning up.�

The former first-round draft pick is showing he's ready for prime time in the NHL and his teammates are noticing. Last season in a call-up role he showed

flashes. This season he's got his game.

�I think the main thing is he knows he's going to be here and he's confident,� said Henrik. �He sees where the shot is going to come from and moves really

quick. He makes the saves look really easy. You see it and you think, wow that should have been a goal. He's really impressive. He's going to push hard to play a lot of games.�

Head coach Alain Vigneault said having a quality backup is a huge bonus.

�It was unfortunate for him to lose that shutout at the end of the game,� said Vigneault. �He'd played so well, so confident and smooth and in control. For our

group we've got two goaltenders, two that we feel real comfortable with.�

� Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/M...ry.html?cid=megadrop_story#ixzz14QvZNSjJ

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by n007
Hockey experts around North America are expecting huge results from the Vancouver Canucks this upcoming season. Publications from The Hockey News to the Puck Daddy Blog have picked the Canucks to win it all.

I see no reason why The Canucks can't go undefeated this year.

I doubt that you will ever see the Canucks win the Stanley cup in this or any other life. Hockey experts have been wrong forever, I don't see that changing either. Care to lose some money????

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
It's all in fun man, all in fun.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 54 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.