Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
First post, and I'm hoping a few experienced elk and whitetail hunters here can provide some insight, anecdotes, and musings on the 6x42mm Heavy Duplex from Leupy.

I'm still deciding on the rifle it will be sitting on, but I will be posting that in the firearms section to avoid chasing rabbits with caliber debates or barrel lengths, etc. Hypothetically, this will be sitting on something such as an M70 in 300WM. My experience is with a Sako 75 in 270 I used to have with a 3-9x40.

Over the years, one thing I have noticed is that I too fall prey to what some of the gun writers have warned about in these variables where I'm twisting and fidgeting with the cotton-picker and not quick or focused on the task at hand. I can appreciate all the benefits of going fixed power, but before pulling the trigger, want some reassurance or direction from those who've spent much more time than I behind a buttplate in relative applications to what I'm looking for. I expect to hunt KS, OK, CO, NE, IA, and GA.

A couple years ago I sold off my hunting rifles due to some personal hardship, and am looking for one do-everything rifle (again not to open the can of worms, but for the purpose of using that context in this scope being my shoe-horn optic) that will serve well for deer, pronghorn, and elk. Obviously low-light performance is something I'm considering in the 6x42 with the HD reticle, but observations and experiences with this or any other reticle are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying the forum.

Last edited by SilentCrusader; 11/05/10.

FFE, Over
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SilentCrusader
First post, and I'm hoping a few experienced elk and whitetail hunters here can provide some insight, anecdotes, and musings on the 6x42mm Heavy Duplex from Leupy.

I'm still deciding on the rifle it will be sitting on, but I will be posting that in the firearms section to avoid chasing rabbits with caliber debates or barrel lengths, etc. Hypothetically, this will be sitting on something such as an M70 in 300WM. My experience is with a Sako 75 in 270 I used to have with a 3-9x40.

Over the years, one thing I have noticed is that I too fall prey to what some of the gun writers have warned about in these variables where I'm twisting and fidgeting with the cotton-picker and not quick or focused on the task at hand. I can appreciate all the benefits of going fixed power, but before pulling the trigger, want some reassurance or direction from those who've spent much more time than I behind a buttplate in relative applications to what I'm looking for.

I expect to hunt KS, OK, CO, NE, IA, and GA. A couple years ago I sold off my hunting rifles due to some personal hardship, and am looking for one do-everything rifle (again not to open the can of worms, but for the purpose of using that context in this scope being my shoe-horn optic) that will serve well for deer, pronghorn, and elk. Obviously low-light performance is something I'm considering in the 6x42 with the HD reticle, but observations and experiences with this or any other reticle are appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying the forum.

First off welcome. Secondly (and trust me on this one), it's very difficult to read an entire screen of words without a single paragraph break.

Fiddling is something that is entirely up to you to fix, if you don't want to fiddle, don't. Leave the scope on 6x and carry on.

Apparently what you are looking for is something that will help protect you from yourself, in that case I like the 6x42 much. I have them on several rifles and have never felt handicapped.

Currently I'm only running one with a HD but I like HD for a pure hunting rig, ymmv.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Also, have you used/played with the 6x42 previously?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have severa Leupold 6x42s.

None of the newest ones (M8s and FX-IIIs), but they work EXTREMELY well for general purpose hunting.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love the 6x42 and run several of them. Ran the HD on one and several other Leupolds... Hated them and dumped all HDs after giving them a good spin for better than a year.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny how it works, cuzz I like the HD very much. It's not what I would run if my main goal were to punch paper etc.

Different strokes.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Love the 6x42 and run several of them. Ran the HD on one and several other Leupolds... Hated them and dumped all HDs after giving them a good spin for better than a year.

Art,
Please be specific here.
What was there to "hate" on the HD scopes vs the older F-lll 6x42 scopes..??
Aren't the lens coatings the only difference?

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
HD = Heavy Duplex

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for that Steely..

I was thinking of "HD" lens coatings..

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a lot of scopes but the FX-3 6x42 HD is the scope I mounted permanently on my Borden 30-06. I love it's simplicity, clarity, brightness and easy to see reticle when dusk is settling and the target is hidden by brush.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thank you for the quick responses.

I tried to tune up that post a little, you're right - a bit of a hot mess on my corneas looking back at it.

Back on topic: I've handled a 4x fixed power and a few scout type fixed powers, and appreciate how much more intuitive they feel for a magnified optic. I've always liked things like iron-sighted 30-30s in the brush of GA because they felt quick and natural, but they don't do everything I want. I want that feeling in an optic. The 4xs and scout rifles I've shot felt this way. What I'd like is a little more juice, perhaps what the 6x has to offer.

I have not handled a 6x42. Best I can do is set a variable to 6 and play with it, but none of them have the eye relief that the 6x42 FX-3 apparently has.

The Heavy Duplex reticle interested me because of the low light application, for those who've used it and don't like it, I'm also very interested in your opinions.

FFE, Over
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The 6x42 is about as generous a scope as there is. Bright, lots of eye relief and a great sight picture. You won't be disappointed and you won't have a problem finding a critter with it, assuming you know how to mount a rifle to your shoulder.

The reticle is your choice, I also like the Post and Duplex.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run a Leupold HD reticle and it's one of their best for low light. Target shooters don't like em though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Personally like the 6x36 over the 6x42. Unscientific reason is it fits my eye better. Weak, but that's the way it works.

Hard to beat the HD when the light is getting dim, as long as you are willing to be a paste and shoot hunter and not worry about picking out an individual hair to hit.

HD when light is almost blinking out:

[Linked Image]

Post and duplex-which I like better-about an hour earlier:

Things would have to get bad to lose either.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 11/05/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My other, more classic, 06 wears the newer Leupold 4x. I have found it to be brighter, clearer and with more eye relief than the variables.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I like the 6x42 Heavy Duplex and have hunted a lot with one. It has always worked, whether the range was 25 yards or 450.

Some shooters complain that they can't shoot 1/2", 100-yard, 3-shot groups with the HD reticle. There is also no doubt that one deer-hair can't be aimed with a Heavy Duplex. However, over the decades I have found that hair isn't a vital organ.

To slay even the smallest animals considered big game, all we have to do is hit an area the size of a volleyball. This is easy to do with a Heavy Duplex reticle, though we may not hit the left ventricle.

Lately I have been regressing toward 6x36 and even 4x28 Leupolds with (gasp!) single-coated lenses and plain Duplexes. I can still hit volleyballs out to 400 yards, even in fairly dim light. Maybe my eyesight is better than average, but I wear glasses to correct 20/400 myopia so this probably isn't the case. Yet I still kill at least one big game animal every year with iron sights--and it's the only one I shot at with irons.

One of my latest theories is that the Internet is responsible for the widespread belief that no human ever killed a deer before the introduction of multi-coated, variable scopes with "ballistic reticles" and turrets that can zero the reticle perfectly at any range from 25 to 1000 yards.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I recently picked up a couple 6x42's after reading about how great they are. They are as people say, and think I'll be going with them more and more on huntin rigs. I have duplex and post duplex. The duplex has the edge as far as holding on a smaller dot for paper work. Don't matter cause both scopes is on straight up huntin rigs and not for shootin paper.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
My other, more classic, 06 wears the newer Leupold 4x. I have found it to be brighter, clearer and with more eye relief than the variables.

That is what I am thinking of topping this "Shoemaker Special" rough country-utility rig I am in the process of putting together-

[Linked Image]

1978 Mark-X Mauser 30-06 Barreled action(shoots really well)
with a much tweeked Butler creek sythetic added.
The forend has been much re-reinforced inside and the whole stock detailed for improved looks and function.
The whole shebang will be Cerakoted in the near future-(Matte Black metalwork with an Olive green stock)..

Question-

What back up iron sights would you recommend (if any) and what QD ring base setup would you recommend if backup irons if chosen?

I have not heard you opinions on those matters since reading some of your RIFLE articles a few years ago..

Last edited by jim62; 11/05/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, I'm pretty sure Og and Ug argued about how best to aim an atlatl... the virtues of fast, light spears vs. heavy slow ones.... in between bites of mastadon....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a newbie to the 6x42 FXIII Heavy Duplex but I will say I believe I have found the perfect pure hunting scope for the type of hunting I do. Kinda like the first time I looked through my Swaro 7x42s.....I just knew and haven't looked back.

Mine is mounted on of all things a Rem 700 in 300Win shooting 130TTSXs at 3,500fps. It's simply a point and click proposition.

[Linked Image]

Robert

Bruz
"You can't scare me.........I have kids"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,774 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.