Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
anyone got one? I want to do this Sunday the 7th of November...

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This is a very good mix. Tried it at the stock show in Rapid City this year. They have a book of recipes that has several different things you can do with it. I highly recommend it!

http://www.oldewestportspice.com/threeriverschiliverde-22ozpackage.aspx

Public landowner...
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Cinch...thanks but i want to put this together tomorrow. I have pork and green chilis......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ya, I know... I don't have a "from scratch" recipe. Keep this in mind for the future though...

Public landowner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
cube pork of choice into 1" squares brown then throw in crockpot.I use hand held immersion blender on 3-4 tomitillos 4-5 green chilis with stems cut and seeds out and 1 whole onion cut up enough so the blender can purie it all then dump this sauce in the crockpot. If not enough sauce to covermeat in crockpot i thin mixture of green chilis out with a little herdez salsa verde or even a little green enchalada sauce in a pinch. chilis have been roasted and skin is off. Leave in crock pot till pork is soft enough to mush with a fork.

Last edited by mohave_mauler1; 11/07/10.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Forgot to say that you can add mor chilis if yours are the med vrsion but if you have the extra hot kind even 4 is to hot for some- icecream or cold corona will be your friend! Meat does not have to be submerged just has to be enough for the meat to stew in.Add garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This was Senator Joe Montoya's recipe, and the one I have more or less used as my base recipe for years.

2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1" cubes.
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
2 tablespoons butter, lard or bacon drippings
1 cup chopped onion
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced (more if you like, I do.)
3 cups of chopped peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground Mexican Oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
20 green chiles peeled and chopped.

Lightly coat pork cubes with flour. Melt butter in a large heavy pot. Add pork cubes a few at a time stirring to brown well. Add onion and garlic, cook until onion is soft. Stir in the browned meat and cover with water.

Add tomatoes, salt, oregano, and cumin. Cover and simmer about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed. NOW add the green chiles and simmer another 30 minutes or more adding water as needed.

I use chicken or beef stock instead of water most times and of course don't add salt. Sometimes I cube some potatoes and add at the same time as the green chiles. A good old beef pot roast makes a nice change from the pork too. And most important!!!!! It is Chile not Chili, you're goint to have everyone thinking your one of them yankee varmints! grin

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
3-4 cups of roasted, peeled, deveined and seeded Hatch green chiles, roughly chopped.

2 lbs. Pork loin, cubed bite sized, dusted with 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper.

1 small onion, peeled and sliced.

3-4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped.

1 bottle Pale Ale (can substitute chix stock)

1 jar Herdez salsa verde (optional)

1 large can White Hominy (can substitute pinto beans, or nothing at all)

Brown season pork in canola oil, in high side pot, medium high heat.
Add onions and garlic, saute until onions are limp, do not brown onions.
Add green chile, continue to saute for a few minutes more.
Add beer. (some folks add chicken stock, I do beer)
Add green salsa (purely optional - used to cut the heat so I don't blow the kids up. If salsa not added, might need to throw some more beer in.)

Cover, let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Add drained, rinsed Hominy or beans (or nothing), simmer covered additional 20-30 minutes.

Adjust S&P to taste.

Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thank guys! I'll let you know how it turns out today.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hatch Green Chiles are a very rare in east TX, and have to be hunted with great skill and commitment, a good dog helps. A proper rifle like this Marlin 1895 STBL is often required to protect your haul. But it is really worth it!

[Linked Image]

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm gonna throw in a super simple chilie verde recipe that I do. Before you start yelling at me for suggesting this, you need to try it and then you can say it's crap. You won't though.

Green chilie sauce = ............ La Victoria green taco sauce.

Simple easy from the bottle and it makes fantastic chilie verde.

I use leftover pork butt roast or better yet, grill some pork on the BBQ seasoned only with garlic powder and black pepper (same seasonings I use for roast pork), let it cool, use a dull knife smile and cut it up into cubes, brown it in a skillet, remove any excess fat, add some diced onion - sautee for a little bit, the green chile sauce and a pinch of powdered beef boullion. Let it simmer for 20 or 30 minutes - done.

Warm tortillas, a little sour cream and you're good to go

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Allen917
Hatch Green Chiles are a very rare in east TX, and have to be hunted with great skill and commitment, a good dog helps. A proper rifle like this Marlin 1895 STBL is often required to protect your haul. But it is really worth it!

[Linked Image]

They are even more rare here frown there used to be a retired couple that came up from Hatch, NM with a trailer, boxes of chiles and a roaster.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Quite common here (obviously). Got 60 pounds in August from our high schools FFA, down to about half. Will need a reload by spring. Next year it will be 100 lbs....

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the recipes sound good.

Keith, most definitely roast the chilies on the Egg. Brings out the robust flavor of the chilies just like industrial roasters. I often cook the chili itself on the cooker.

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Red44spl
Quite common here (obviously). Got 60 pounds in August from our high schools FFA, down to about half. Will need a reload by spring. Next year it will be 100 lbs....

I'll meet ya halfway! grin

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Didn't I tell ya, I got a great green chile recipe...? How about for November 7, 2011...?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

Didn't I tell ya, I got a great green chile recipe...? How about for November 7, 2011...?

I expected to open this and find you had posted a picture of a can of Stokes Green Chili! grin

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't even know what that is.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Old Style Mexican

3 cans Ortega diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 small can diced green chiles-roasted preferred
1 lb pork of your choice cut into bite size pieces-pork steak works best because of the higher fat content.
1 medium onion-chopped
Onion powder without salt
granulated garlic without salt
fresh ground pepper
cumin
flour
1 dark style beer

Brown pork in peanut oil in a large pot, add onions and sweat until translucent. Add a heaping tablespoon of flour and coat pork and onions well. (You could make a roux if you prefer) Add cans of tomatoes and can of green chiles, bring to a light boil stirring well. Add granulated garlic to taste, usually about a teaspoon or so, add about the same onion powder, add about a quarter teaspoon of cumin and stir well. Add a few turns of fresh ground pepper from a pepper mill. Open 2 beers, add one to the chile or less depending on desired consistency, drink the other. The chile should be about the consistency of a good thick soup.

shake of cayenne to taste

Simmer for about 20 minutes, enjoy with soft flour tortillas warmed up, or use as a sauce on your favorite Mexican fare. Should serve 4.

Serving Suggestion

Last edited by sse; 11/22/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,681
Posts18,474,998
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.