Print Thread
Hop To
Page 524 of 1,842 1 2 522 523 524 525 526 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Congrats Ryan.

Talked with Tzone a few minutes ago. The news is good, but I'll let him tell his own tale. Sounds like there's deer down at Chickenbuck also.

Granddaughter struck out this weekend on the special hunt at the Sandhill Wildlife Area. She saw a buck early Saturday morning, but couldn't get a shot at it. Saw nothing today.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well, lets get the bad news out of the way first. We have to put our dog Daisy down. A visit to the vet detirmined she has cancer, and it's very agressive. She hasn't been able to use her front leg for almost a month. I took her in a few weeks ago and had some tests run and some meds given that didn't do anything. So my wife took her in for x-rays on saturday and the discovered it.

It's a very stress filled house right now.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This has been a goofy deer season already. The guy that owns the land I hunt by and the place we stay told me all the deer I couldn't shoot. Keep in mind where I actually hunt in on state land, and about 1/2 mile from his house. This landowner doesn't hunt.

Supposedly there is a big doe with two fawns that he sees in his yard, can't shoot that one. OK, so all does w/fawns are off limits since I haven't actually seen this doe. Then, I'm not allowed to hunt on his land this year (remember my stand on state land) because he wants his son to shoot the 10 or 12 pointer that's been making all the rubs. No one has seen this deer either. It was hard not to laugh when he was giving me these rules. The son never showed up to hunt at anytime when we were there either. crazy

So I was limited to all non 10 to 12 point bucks. grin

Last edited by tzone; 11/07/10.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
That is funny !!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sooooo, at 7:51am I shot this guy who came in sniffin the tink's 69 trail I laid down on the way to my stand.

[Linked Image]

He's a five pointer. Was a 6 but it looks like he lost one in a fierce batlle.

[Linked Image]

He was a stinky rutty sumbitch. I could smell him from 30 yards away.

Shot him with a Remington 7600 in .280 Rem. with 140gr. Federal Fusions.

Shot was 30 yards and obviously had bullet failure because it didn't exit. grin good news is I didn't overpenetrate.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL. always nice to know what you CAN'T shoot ahead of time, looks like you met the parameters that were set.

here's how my weekend played out. had permission to hunt for the farmer I drove truck for, so did a few other people. one guy had 4 with him so after being able to hunt a piece of land that was 30 yards x 300 yards I decided I need to find a back up after opening morning. I did see the largest fox I had ever seen in my life that morning though. went out to the refuge I worked on this summer saw 1 deer, went back this morning, sat as my buddy made a drive, nothing. so before walking back to the car I checked one small patch of shrubs/trees and out jumped the doe. running away from me hard for 100 yards, then she slowed up and made the mistake to look back and pause. the 140gr partition from the 260 put her down right there. hit her a little further back than I wanted and she had no use of her back legs, so a finishing shot from my buddies pistol a minute later ended it. it was nice of here to die 20 yards from the road, shortest drag I've ever had smile and all of it was in my chickenbuck hat smile went out tonight, saw lots of prairie chickens and a few partridge but no deer. sure was a pretty night to be up a tree with nothing but nature. Man I love this stuff smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Way to go Tzone and Colorado!Nice eating size.

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I saw a bunch of grouse too. Man they were thick as thieves in the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have yet to kill a grouse, Dave could kill one with a beer bottle if he wanted to.....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I tried to kill one with a stick yesterday, but as always, I was a few inches short.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you need a bigger stick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice T

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Way to go Tom...bad news on your dog...thats the worst...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that does suck about the Dog tom, I know how much it would get to me if it were Bailey facing the same thing.

on a "plus" side I got a cat today. its for my boy because he loves cats, at least he says he does, but he's already pointed a gunstock at it and said bang, then he tried to kick it and yelled at it for scratching on the couch. he's only 2, I must be doing something right smile the other 80% of the time he snuggles with the kitty and absolutely adores it. I like the cat too,but already told her if she scratches the boy once, she's done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I have yet to kill a grouse, Dave could kill one with a beer bottle if he wanted to.....

Did you talk to Dave already? Umm, just ask him what happened on his way out to camp Thursday night. laugh

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

on a "plus" side I got a cat today. .

No "plus" sides to getting a cat. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by ingwe
Way to go Tom...bad news on your dog...thats the worst...

Ingwe

Thanks Ingwe. It does suck. She's getting spoiled more rotten for the next few days. My wife is taking it the worst. That was her first "baby"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry about your dog Tom. It is a terrible thing to have to do. When we had to put Lucky down, it was bad. But we knew it was what we had to do. frown

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well 2 deer went down at Chickenbuck yesterday. CBF got an 8, and RWS got a doe. A bunch of them were still hunting when dad and I left, havn't heard how they did this afternoon. Most of us didn't see anything. The preacher (PWM) shot a couple flying bears, so it is less for us to worry about. It was a great time and can't wait till Thursday when I head back up there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffy

Did you talk to Dave already? Umm, just ask him what happened on his way out to camp Thursday night. laugh

oh yeah I heard laugh

Page 524 of 1,842 1 2 522 523 524 525 526 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 16 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.