Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 525 of 1,842 1 2 523 524 525 526 527 1841 1842
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sorry about Daisy Tom. She wasn't moving very well when I saw her a couple of weeks back.

Sounds like Dave is going to have at least one good story to tell us.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh come on what happened Thursday night? Someone spill it...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
well my report is kinda dull. after seeing upwards of 5 mature bucks in our area prior to the season, we saw only 1 all weekend for 9 guys...and didnt get it! My uncle shot a small 9 pointer. Everyone passed on small bucks (I passed a small 7 pointer 3 different times inside 15 yards). lotsa does and lotsa small bucks, but the big boys are still a no show. i did see a white weasel. that was cool. still some time left. a good weekend in the woods though, nice and comfy.

oh and lotsa roosters. holy cow, sunday morning was a rooster symphony out there! at one point, it was LOUD with roosters. I am gonna have to do something about that.... grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you're lucky! I hope to one day have a nice patch of ground I can manage for good deer (not just big bucks).

the only bad thing about public land around here is they have more hunters than deer in them, and just as many driving around and around looking for deer. from my stand I saw the same 4-5 trucks drive by a half dozen times in a couple of hours. I saw one deer that was shootable and I got her. I have 2 tags left to fill and I pray that I can. deer/elk are the only thing we eat at our house, I don't buy beef. either we fill the freezer in the fall, or we eat bland suppers for a year. so far I've been lucky in getting elk or deer but I know I won't be lucky every year. if its legal it goes down! smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry to hear about your dog, Tom. Congrats to everyone who was successful. We hit the woods Friday about noon to scout and hang stands. Lo and behold, our entire hunting area had been leased or sold, posted and entirely fenced in! We decided to hunt what was left outside the fence. Saturday's spot didn't work out. There was one good crossing, which I inteded to set JustOneGunner up on, and sure enough, someone else was hunting out of a permanent stand there. We hunted some other fringe spots outside the fence the rest of the day, and Sunday morning. I caught a buck sneaking across the trail I was watching, but it got in heavy brush before I could do anything. The third spot I put the scope on looked clear, so when he stepped into I shot. I thought I scored a hit but wasn't sure. It took me 20 minutes to find the blood, and we never got him. We worked a very sparce blood trail for over an hour, covering just about 200 yards and then lost the trail. Despite our best efforts, I'm afraid he became wolf chow. Very frustrating. 'Hate to lose such a beautiful animal as a whitetail. Kind of puts a dampner on the season. The old 99 did it's job, but I apparently didn't do mine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bummer to hear about the loss of an animal, I know I've lost critters before and it just sinks my gut. shrug it off, there is still time left

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by big drift

Well I would tell you but it is always a better story when Dave tells it. All I can say is that I wish I would have been there to see it. Wierd things have been happening up there with the grouse this year. laugh

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh believe me, i know we are very, very fortunate to have the land we have to hunt on. But it has also take a lot of sacrafice too. we do a lot of work out there and of course there is that monthly payment. But it is worth it! I cant wait until the kids start hunting more with me, then it will REALLY be worth it. I might take the 6 yr old girl with me one nite this week. she is really excited about going.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know what it is like losing hunting land. Jeremy and I lost the 190 acres we hunted on for 6 seasons. It was sold to some tree huggers. But thanks to Dave and the family I have a wonderful place to hunt again.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
who all is going to be up at camp this coming weekend? if I come up it will likely be thursday afternoon when I get there

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ryan,I believe it will be Dave and the family, me, Uncle Dusty, CBF, Tzone, you, not sure if Dave's dad and brother are coming back. Me, dad, and CBF are going to be up there Thursday afternoon I think. Pam has to work Friday. They have conferences Thurs. Think Dave will be out Thurs night maybe.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll probably be going up thursday about noon, so I can get my stand up, what groceries will be needed besides the essentials?
I can bring up a couple of chickens for the grill if we want

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
so what is the 1135 in the Colorado1135 mean? I could guess of course, but I might get in trouble!

Lets see, why not get in trouble! 1135 could be your weight? if there was a decimal between the 1 and the 3 (11.35) it could be your IQ? Oh, maybe that is how many shots you fired before you got your first deer? C'mon folks, help me out with some more guesses!

Something tells me the food at Chickenbuck is outstanding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what is needed as far as food.

They got the trim around the door and windows outside done on Thursday. Dave made a new counter on the one wall in the kitchen. And a box for the wood by the stove. They were very busy. They also made a shower outside.

Last edited by Muffy; 11/08/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
so what is the 1135 in the Colorado1135 mean? I could guess of course, but I might get in trouble!

Lets see, why not get in trouble! 1135 could be your weight? if there was a decimal between the 1 and the 3 (11.35) it could be your IQ? Oh, maybe that is how many shots you fired before you got your first deer? C'mon folks, help me out with some more guesses!

Something tells me the food at Chickenbuck is outstanding.

Friday night we had BBQ's my mom made. Saturday moning Pam made an awesome breakfast. For supper Dave put a bird on the grill & Pam fried potatoes. YUM! Yesterday morning I cooked some bacon and scrambled eggs with hashbrowns,onion,sausage and cheese in it. Well I made breakfast twice that morning. The guys had to go take care of something first before they ate. I will let Dave tell you that one if he wants to. Never dull at Chickenbuck! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the 1135 is the brand that was on a horse I rode for a ranch in the mountains, best horse I ever put a saddle on.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
Originally Posted by big drift

Well I would tell you but it is always a better story when Dave tells it. All I can say is that I wish I would have been there to see it. Wierd things have been happening up there with the grouse this year. laugh

The swamp squids and flying bears are most likely involved I beeeetch ya. laugh

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
that is a cool tribute! maybe I wasnt far off and that was his weight, eh? I didnt think you really looked like you weighed 1135 pounds.

Those meals sound a mite better than our camp. Friday nite it was cold fried chicken out of a bucket. Saturday noon it was cold PB&J smashed to an impossible 1/4" thick (tasted darn good though). Saturday nite some hotdish and various beef sticks, venison sausage, etc. yesterday we broke down and went to a restaurant for lunch. You dont come to our camp for the culinary experience.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ok this is driving me nuts!!!! Where is the jaegermeister ND?

Is he being kept hostage by the swamp critters? Sucumbed to the effects of many Natty Lights?

Oh the humanity to tease and tempt but never unveil the secrets that is Chickenbuck!!!!!

Glad you all had a good time smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He stayed at the shack lastnight. Don't know when he will be checking in. Thought maybe tonight but I'm not for sure.

Page 525 of 1,842 1 2 523 524 525 526 527 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1234, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.