Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Shortmag
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
What does kangaroo taste like?

Chicken

Glen

To my taste, it was more like deer than anything. Very lean and hard to cook unmarinated without searing the outside and leaving the inside bloody. Took awhile to get the hang of it; it's a dense meat, but very tasty and went well with a red wine marinade.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by logcutter
Really...

Your age and experience hunting is................

Jayco

Just because you're old doesn't make you infallible. It just means your scrotum is wrinkled and you piss 6 times a night.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by Shortmag
What does kangaroo taste like?

Chicken

Glen

To my taste, it was more like deer than anything. Very lean and hard to cook unmarinated without searing the outside and leaving the inside bloody. Took awhile to get the hang of it; it's a dense meat, but very tasty and went well with a red wine marinade.

Thanks. too bad we can't readily get at the grocery store here in the States. I would like to try some.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Petro
Really...

Jayco

Just because you're old doesn't make you infallible. It just means your scrotum is wrinkled and you piss 6 times a night.

Now that is funny grin grin grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" Why was Ray Atkinson fried? "

Was he battered as well ?

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Petro
Really...

Jayco

Now that is funny grin grin grin

sctotum..., scrotum..., wrinkly krinckly baggo' skin...an' its the sack hat holds my nutz in...scrotum..., scrotum...
an I only have to get up once a night. crazy

Last edited by chas05; 11/08/10.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

I was warned but if any of you want to play hard ball..Sign up here....

www.levergunlovers.com

I really can't believe the lack of respect for people like Ray,but i'll play..

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No dog in the fight, but didn't Ray claim to have seen a 26" Pronghorn??

Doesn't sound like a firm grasp on the west.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jayco,

I go back posting with you to the old MarlinTalk. I have no dog in this fight but IMHO, Ray did seem to exaggerate a bit. He had some great lines and I used one for awhile, paraphrasing but the one that an animal is like a can of Coors was priceless.

Ray had many opportunities to defend himself and prove the naysayers wrong but never did. I don't know why but my guess is that he couldn't back it up.

I did enjoy his posts and would have loved to see the hunts, animals and firearms he spoke of but again, he never did.

I know a few guys like him that talk a good line and have some real world experience but like to embellish a bit and talk louder than others, because of a couple I have a disdain for the 270 Winchester that I have to get over. crazy

The last thing is I enjoy posts by Phil Shoemaker, Steve Timm, JB, Dober, Big Stick(needs a better way to deliver his message), etc as they talk well and back up what they say in words, photos, etc. No hit, but Ray is not even on the same playing field, again IMHO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And here come the Wolves....How do I no that Bob??????Because I have been there done that and no chit from the real deal.I could care less about Africa other than knowing the African guys go out of there way to blow out anyone that disagrees...JJ Hack himself brings up the 45-70 in Africa to get out of a disagreement.

Randy Garrett was one on AR but since Jorge is using a levergun now,there in and cool.

I said right off..I don't care if Ray made a bad choice in buisness,I said his post for the normal guys here looking for advice, would be missed with the experience he has...

Thats all...

Jayco

I'm not one of the wolves that follows Ray around on the various forums and tries to discredit him. IMHO, Ray has done a fine job of discrediting himself over the years.

I've been a member of AR since February of 2001. Despite what some people think of AR on here, the link I posted above has posts by some of the actual players involved in the whole mess that Ray found himself caught up in. He did NOT come out looking very good. His credibility was blown to pieces and he was caught in flat out lies.

The thread on AR went into a LOT more detail about the whole deal than the one posted here in the 24HCF African Forum.

Also, it seems that you have a prejudice against the "African guys" on here... Hmmm... Why is that?

For the record, almost my ENTIRE hunting "career" consists of 3 safaris in South Africa for plains game. (In 2000, 2002 and 2005.) I have taken a total of 22 animals in South Africa. I have NEVER done any hunting in North America except for taking 2 feral hogs here in Texas back in 2001. That's the total of my hunting experience, period.

However, I believe I do have enough experience in Africa to know that some of what Ray has espoused about his experience on here (and other forum websites) does not pass the "smell test".

Do you really think that in today's Africa a booking agent from Idaho could go to Africa and take and/or cull "a hundred or hundreds" of Cape Buff? That Ray could afford all of the airfare, for the many trips it would take, on an agent's earnings?

IMHO, Ray tries to pass himself off as the reincarnation of John "Pondoro" Taylor..... Frankly, I think it smells and I take with a grain of salt many of his "tales" about his experience. It just doesn't add up IMHO.

Again, I recommend that anyone interested in this topic about Ray really needs to read the entire thread over on AR (link posted above). Judge for yourself concerning Ray's credibility and honesty.

My two cents....
-Bob F.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Fricken drama queens I tell ya! Ant burnin, candy a$$, drama queens. The whole lot of em.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SLM
I want to see pics of the kangaroos.

There you go!
2009 Trappers lic
[Linked Image]
2009 meat lic
[Linked Image]
1995 again
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1998 80 roo's
[Linked Image]
2009...I think
[Linked Image]
15 years of tags
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/15yearsoftags.jpg[/img]
Oh,oh [bleep]
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/Ohohsht.jpg[/img]
Oh [bleep]
[img]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww315/no_onehere/Ohsht.jpg[/img]

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That's alot of kangaroos. How much does a big kangaroo weigh and how do you hunt them?

Thanks.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Oops...missed a couple.

Last truck 2008 or 9, not sure.
[Linked Image]
Back of last human consumption truck.
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ChipM
Jayco,

I go back posting with you to the old MarlinTalk. I have no dog in this fight but IMHO, Ray did seem to exaggerate a bit. He had some great lines and I used one for awhile, paraphrasing but the one that an animal is like a can of Coors was priceless.

Ray had many opportunities to defend himself and prove the naysayers wrong but never did. I don't know why but my guess is that he couldn't back it up.

I did enjoy his posts and would have loved to see the hunts, animals and firearms he spoke of but again, he never did.

I know a few guys like him that talk a good line and have some real world experience but like to embellish a bit and talk louder than others, because of a couple I have a disdain for the 270 Winchester that I have to get over. crazy

The last thing is I enjoy posts by Phil Shoemaker, Steve Timm, JB, Dober, Big Stick(needs a better way to deliver his message), etc as they talk well and back up what they say in words, photos, etc. No hit, but Ray is not even on the same playing field, again IMHO

Chip

I wasn't going to reply to anymore post until I read yours.I do remember you and your a fair guy with a level head and I take what you post with interest and the belief you believe it.

I was born in Idaho to a family of packers and names come down year after year you remember.At one time Ray was well thought of here in Idaho as a person.Maybe it all changed or he is as bad as me at putting words to the keyboard.

I was not trying to start a riot,just asking why...I doubt there are any that can tell me Jack's favorite packer in Idaho.I new the man and loved to hell the stories of Jack and others as stories go..Sadly he passed away last summer and will be missed along with his stories..

The guy that was with me on my first Elk just got his 18th in a row at 85 years old...A man to listen too and learn..Seems most here already know it all so I am pizzin in the wind but never forget,I still have a lot to learn and listen to those with more than I have..

The rest is easy to figure out if you have any experience at all.

Jayco

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've never known a fisherman or hunter that did not embelish the tail or tale each time he told it.

I guess I've seldom felt compelled to call someone out. When I sense that one has moved from embelishment to fantacy, I just pass over. After all...this is the internet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy Garrett was one on AR but since Jorge is using a levergun now,there in and cool.

I'm staying out of this pot-stirring thread regarding Ray but like [bleep] and opinions I have mine as well and anyone can PM me but since my name was mentioned, well I feel compelled to respond. Jayco, I've had lever guns all my life and my foray with the 1895 was up front all the way. It was and is an attempt to replicate was Teddy Roosevelt did but I still consider it's capabilities limited and far from optimum for large, dangerous African game (emphasis on large). There is no way a 405 Win, 45/70 or even the new 475 Turnbull can stay with an appropriate Express or Magnum caliber as defined by at least an SD or 300 or above and MV > 2000-2100 fps and at least 300gr(and remember this is my opinion, based on my limited experience and gleaning from others with considerable experience with large, dangerous game). I know all abolut Randy Garrett and his solids that shot clean through elephants, buffalo and even the kitchen sink. I've also know a few gents who've taken elephant with a bow, what more proof do we need that all of the above work? Where I take exception is when someone tries to sell me on the idea that a Marlin lever gun in 45/70 is every bit the DG gun is as a 458WM to name just one. That is delusional. When I finally do get around to whacking a buffalo with a 405, of one thing you can be certain, next to me will be two people, the PH with his backup rifle and a tracker holding either my double 450NE or my 416 Rigby. Levers are way cool and an 1895 TR is "uber cool" but it is nothing more than a calculated whim on my part. Now for the cats we might be closer to agreement, but in my opinion (and there is that word again) a Marlin in 45/70 is about as cool as a minivan...jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How did the Oh [bleep] Happen?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by SLM
That's alot of kangaroos. How much does a big kangaroo weigh and how do you hunt them?

Thanks.

No, it isn't....best night was 95....worst night 0.

Only allowed to shoot on properties that have a 121 issued for a specific number, species, date range and location.
Shoot any outside these parameters and all hell breaks loose.

All have to be head shot, at night under a spotlight.....failure to head shoot results in an aus $300.00 fine per offence.
Guaranteed to make you a good shot!!!!!

Always shot alone, as I was too bloody miserable to pay some sod to do what I could do myself.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jwp475

How did the Oh [bleep] Happen?

Gee officer....I think I may have gone to sleep.....there is no way in hell I shot a roo 210 yards out into the scrub and went after it....in the dark with my lights off.....because I was less than a kilometre from someones house.....on a public road.....!

What is worse, I had spent most of the night digging my truck out of flooded irrigation....NOT FUN!

NOTE TO NPWS officers....note that I said that there is NO WAY...so fnck off and annoy someone else.

Last edited by no_one; 11/08/10.
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,000
Posts18,481,224
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.