Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 527 of 1,842 1 2 525 526 527 528 529 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's a good story if it's the one I've heard...

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got some good news on this sad day. Details to follow this afternoon.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ohhh, I have a guess on what that means Tzone. Might it involve chewed up shoes before long?

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Radiator Buck.

Date, Friday??, November 1988.

On the way up to pick me up for deer camp my uncle and buddy hit a nice 8 point buck just 3 miles east of town. Damage to the truck consisted of a damaged headlight, grill and radiator. They contacted the Sheriff�s Department and a deputy was dispatched to investigate. Wisconsin allows you to keep a car kill as long as it�s tagged by a deputy or warden.

The front quarters on the buck were trash, but the rear quarters were fine so they had it tagged and threw it in the trailer and limped on in to my place.
After assessing the damage we pulled the radiator and ran it over to a radiator shop. The owner took pity on us and said he could do a temporary repair as it would take several days to get a replacement radiator. We returned home and salvaged the hind quarters. We also jerry rigged the headlight so we were legal.
The radiator shop called about 11:00 to tell us we could pick up the radiator. We made a mad dash to the shop to get it . We had it installed before noon and were underway a short time later.
Needless to say we arrived at camp rather late that year.

Skip forward 6 years to November 1993, Deer Camp.
Before finishing it�s important that you understand about my uncle�s wife. She was a child of the depression the word frugal doesn�t even come close to describing her. She was the original recycler. Nothing was ever wasted if it could possibly be reused.

Dinner that evening was spaghetti and meat balls, the sauce had been premade and frozen by my aunt. I speared one of the meatballs and popped it in my mouth, took one chew and promptly spit it out. The meatball tasted like sawdust. My uncle asked me what the problem was and I was quick to tell him about the meatballs. He kept right on eating and said he didn�t think they were bad at all. After dinner my uncle told me that they had cleaned out their freezer that fall and found a package of venison burger labeled �Radiator Buck�. That made the meatballs six years old. sick

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
YUCKY!!! Nobody got sick?

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Ohhh, I have a guess on what that means Tzone. Might it involve chewed up shoes before long?

Dispite my best efforts...no. I've never been without a dog, so I'm pushing for it to happen, as are the kids. Mama isn't ready yet.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That story cracks me up. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Check this out.... WI guys like MN deer camps too. Skane shot this monster yesterday, up at handwerk's camp in NE MN. He's a beauty. (the buck, not Skane)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never gotten a buck close to that big.

Ok ya'll here's my plan. I'm coming up, hopefully to get to camp by 1pm, maybe 2 on thursday. I know since I'm driving the impala I'll be parking a ways away. I'll probably just carry the necessities in with me and hunt my way into camp. I need to put my treestand up too I think. might need to run to my car later with the prowler to get the cooler/groceries, if thats ok Uncle Dusty?

I'm so pumped for this weekend! went out hunting again last night, 45 mins before dark some yahoo walks right through the woods, straight up to the top of the small ridge I was on and walks all the way down it skylined. needless to say I just left at that point.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate it when that stuff happens. A couple years ago I was hunting out back looking into our neighbors food plot. And here comes our buddy on his 4 wheeler hauling brush to our burning pile. It was only about 20 yards from where I was at, so needless to say I just packed it up. He knew I was hunting out there but he forgot. He said he didn't see me. I don't know how he missed me, I looked like a big old pumpkin perched along side a black dirt pile. smile

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Muffy
YUCKY!!! Nobody got sick?

Nope, but my buddy bust a gut laughing at the look I had on my face.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That is a dandy buck SKane got. We've got a few of those running around our area. Unfortunately they're rarely seen.

Last edited by Grizzly_Bill; 11/09/10.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave's on his way back home today so it'll be quiet there Ryan. Good luck, shoot a bigun. See you in a few days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
10-4 good buddy

do we need any charcoal or pancake mix or anything like that?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not sure. I know one thing....you'll have a chit load of firewood. You'll see what I mean when you get there. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
charcoal in your pancake mix? Havent heard that one before. you guys are some tough hombres up there if that is what is for breakfast. I have seen the blueberries in the pancake mix before, but charcoal is new to me. uh, good luck with that.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Ok ya'll here's my plan. I'm coming up, hopefully to get to camp by 1pm, maybe 2 on thursday. I know since I'm driving the impala I'll be parking a ways away. I'll probably just carry the necessities in with me and hunt my way into camp. I need to put my treestand up too I think. might need to run to my car later with the prowler to get the cooler/groceries, if thats ok Uncle Dusty?

man I totally read this wrong. I thought you were going today!!! You can load your stuff in my truck after we're done hunting if you neet to. Sorry.

I'll prolly be up there around 1 as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone

man I totally read this wrong. I thought you were going today!!! You can load your stuff in my truck after we're done hunting if you neet to. Sorry.

So thats why Dave text me and said I was in kahoots with you teasing him about Ryan going up there tonight. shocked

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Muffy
Originally Posted by tzone

So thats why Dave text me and said I was in kahoots with you teasing him about Ryan going up there tonight. shocked

Yes that is why. I screwed up. Ryan wrote Thursday, and I READ today.... He asked why I was messin with him and I wasn't. I told him to txt you to be sure.

Then I re-read what Ryan wrote and felt like a tard and had to txt dave back. crazy It's been a roller coaster of emotions day.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry about your dog Tom. That has got to be tough. I'm not looking forward to the day thats for sure.

Now what was the good news on a sad day?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 527 of 1,842 1 2 525 526 527 528 529 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.