Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No downside to taping, lots of downsides to not taping. That you don't at times suprises me none. As I've said before you ain't the brightest tool in the shed.

If you only knew a 1/10th of what you claim to know, you'd be a genius.

But you still don't get it. We have managed to kill hundreds of animals and not ruined our rifles. All this without the benefit of blue tape on sunny days...

If you feel the need to tape up the end of your rifle to keep from poking chit in it, be my guest. I don't have that problem.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Some folks bee stupider than others...............DJ

Yep, saying the breech is sealed against moisture puts you in that group.

If it was, you wouldn't be able to chamber or eject a round Plato. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by Steelhead
No downside to taping, lots of downsides to not taping. That you don't at times suprises me none. As I've said before you ain't the brightest tool in the shed.

If you only knew a 1/10th of what you claim to know, you'd be a genius.

But you still don't get it. We have managed to kill hundreds of animals without benefit of blue tape on sunny days.

If you feel the need to tape up the end of your rifle to keep from poking chit in it, be my guest. I don't have that problem.

Lol. I think SH meant "brightest candle on the cake" or "sharpest tool on the shed" but mixed 'em up.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Has anyone mentioned that Modern Science has been showing that deer see blue well, and for that reason the close-quarters deer hunter might wanna go with a different color? Just innocently wondering....... whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Has anyone mentioned that Modern Science has been showing that deer see blue well, and for that reason the close-quarters deer hunter might wanna go with a different color? Just innocently wondering....... whistle

nothing in a deers environment that is blue is a threat to them.....they dont give a chit if somethings blue or not..... grin

JM fine if yah never ran into a problem but its only gonna take happening once for yah to wish yah did....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, so, but since nothing is blue in the woods, it'll get you noticed, you see.... grin...

I'm just screwing around here. Not going down that road agin'.... lol....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I hunt taped, black electrical.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i tape the muzzle as soon after shooting or cleaning as practical. and it stays on 'till one or the other happens again.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Always used black electrical tape. Guess I'll have to switch to blue to fit in.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

I know guys here who carry it on their rifles, which gives me a chuckle. It's usually the same ones that hunt with a 20X scope. whistle

Heeeeeeey frown

Last edited by HaYen; 11/10/10.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scotch 33+

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, so, but since nothing is blue in the woods, it'll get you noticed, you see.... grin...

I'm just screwing around here. Not going down that road agin'.... lol....

hint.....flowers wink

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
You have to make sure the spiral twist of the tape matches the same twist of the BBL, else one screws up the gyroscopic motion of the projectile.

The only movement to which I want to belong is the bowel movement.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice to see I'm not the only one taping, guys make fun of me all the time 'round here for doing it.

FWIW, I use purple tape that my wife gets from work.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Calvin
Most of my animals are killed with a taped barrel. As soon as the animal is down, I'm putting new tape on. It's not so much the rain, but the fact that I don't want debris in my barrel and to protect my crown.
I learned to do that the hard way 3 years ago, shot, did not tape again, rain, blood, rusted crown...then cut off two inches to 22!

I prefer brown or green electrical tape depending...now if I had one of those high gloss Aborts I would not worry about taping as the trigger group would rust tight well before any barrel problems would occur.. whistle

Last edited by jimmyp; 11/10/10.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RatherBHuntin;
I've found no difference in point of impact when using electrical tape on the muzzle.

Spurred on by a Campfire debate I experimented with blue and then green electric tape as well, which are now the standards that I use.

I've actually found that if it's even a bit sunny out, I can do a bore check for obstructions when using blue or green electrical tape, something I couldn't do when using black.

Hopefully that was some use to you. Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

Uh No. The breech end is pretty well sealed by the bolt and chambered round......................DJ

Sealed against WATER!? All day in the rain? With gravity assisting it (I carry muzzle-down)?!

With all due respect... no WAY, hoser! grin grin

We aren't talking about scuba diving here. If you think that bolt lugs a properly fitted bolt face and 2+ inches of a brass gasket called a cartridge case don't do a better job of sealing rain water than an open hole at the other end you probably are stupid enough to have voted for Obama.

Hint, Hint, Try actually looking how different bolts seal up against the chamber. Bolt action rifle actions are designed to divert gas in case of a case rupture or primer piercing, you can't possibly think they don't help a bit to seal out running water do you?............................................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

Uh No. The breech end is pretty well sealed by the bolt and chambered round......................DJ

Sealed against WATER!? All day in the rain? With gravity assisting it (I carry muzzle-down)?!

We aren't talking about scuba diving here. If you think that bolt lugs a properly fitted bolt face and 2+ inches of a brass gasket called a cartridge case don't do a better job of sealing rain water than an open hole at the other end you probably are stupid enough to have voted for Obama.

Hint, Hint, Try actually looking how different bolts seal up against the chamber. Bolt action rifle actions are designed to divert gas in case of a case rupture or primer piercing, you can't possibly think they don't help a bit to seal out running water do you?............................................DJ

Don't even bother explaining it to that dippshit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
Don't even bother explaining it to that dippshit.

+ 1 Calvin nails it again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, first, there are plenty of guys who hunt without a round in the chamber, no? And to your point about how cartridges seal gas- cartridges expand and seal AFTER powder ignition. They obviously are not sealed to the chamber when just sitting in it unfired.

Next, if you think that stuff makes a water tight seal, I don't even know what to say here because, it doesn't! I'm not trying to be a jerk here but what you are saying simply isn't true. When I take cartridges out of my rifle- from the CHAMBER I mean- after hunting in the rain, they are soaked. The brass is wet, the bullet is wet, everything is wet.

I'll grant that a chambered cartridge and closed bolt are somewhat water RESISTANT but they absolutely, postively are not waterproof.

Maybe we hunt in different rain. Here it's often just this all-day drizzle that gradually soaks everything. Not a thunderstorm that blows through in an hour or whatever.

This is easy to test. Maybe tomorrow I'll test it. Or tonight even.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16penny, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,221
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.