Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
I'm looking at getting one in 243. The Featherweight to be more specific.
They make some pretty big claims about their "new and improved" trigger on their web-site, but so did Remington (X-Mark) and Savage (accu) and niether do much for me.

Anywhooooo, any and all feed back from those that actually own one would be appreciated.

And please,,,, no offence intended but I'm only interested in THIS perticular Brand and Caliber so spare me the usual off topic reteric.

TIA
Charlie

Get my lantern, Get my gun
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go Broncos!

sorry, that's off topic... blush

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Go Broncos!

sorry, that's off topic... blush

Cute!

Sorry but I was just trying to avoid the usual internet responce's of "buy a Savage/Tika/Remchester/etc" instead of simply answering the question.

Well, that and the fact that the Bronco's suck.

C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine is a Stainless FW and in .308. Hopefully that is close enough. I like the trigger but haven't used an X or Accu to say if it's similar to them. Very easy to adjust once you get the epoxy off. Everyone's but mine seems to shoot great by all reports.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have one but I plan on getting one. They seem to be pretty much MOA rifles right out of the box from everyone I talk to that has one.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a 270 and 308. The 270 is one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I've owned. The trigger is great. The 308 needed a trigger job and is a MOA rifle.

Fit and finish are very good and they are bedded/floated at the factory.

I also have a couple of New Haven (early 80s) Featherweights. I like the old trigger better. Time will tell how the new trigger holds up.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Got one on the way...Fwt. in .22-250

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I don't have one but I plan on getting one. They seem to be pretty much MOA rifles right out of the box from everyone I talk to that has one.

JHC, Swampy, either on the meds or off!

Shot a 70EW in .30-06, Karnis worked his trigger a little and I really liked it. FWIW.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saving up for a Super Grade in 338 Win. mag. Still not crazy about the trigger, but what do you do?

`Bring Enough Gun`
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
MyDogsHunt,

I bought a FN Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300WSM about a month ago. I was sold on it because it had a very slick action, the pre 64 control feed extractor, the B&C stock, fluted barrel, posts on the campfire about it's accuracy, reduction in weight.
That said, I just wanted the darn thing.

The thing that concerned me was the so-called MOA trigger unit. If you really like the gun don't worry about the heavy trigger.
Look at it this way, MOA = No take up or creep, no overtravel.
Now, that leaves one thing. A trigger that is heavier than most shooters/hunters want. You can reduce the weight to some degree by backing off on the trigger spring screw. I did what I just suggested for you to do, I was still not satisfied.

Another camper came to my rescue. Order and install a lighter weight trigger spring. Go to erniethegunsmith.com and purchase one of his lighter MOA trigger springs. Your MOA trigger unit is held in place by two pins(take note of how the bolt release fits). Have your manual and instructions from ernie at hand. Punch pins out and you have trigger unit in hand. Back out trigger spring screw, take out original TS, install new lighter TS. MAKE SURE TS FITS OVER THE LITTLE TIT ON THE ACTUATOR. Reassemble. Put blue lock-tite on threads of TS screw and insert back into trigger unit(JUST ENOUGH THREADS TO KEEP IT FROM FALLING OUT). You might want to put some finger nail polish or false finger nail glue on opposite side of TS screw(the part of screw that sticks out). You just need a small amount on screw and trigger unit. Let polish or glue dry and re-install trigger unit. You should feel a much lighter pull. The MOA trigger unit is also affected by the area on your trigger finger that you use. The trigger pull will feel lighter if you use the area past the first joint of your finger. My trigger breaks around 2 1/2 lbs.

Now that I have written WAR AND PEACE, don't fret the trigger!

G2

Last edited by Gramps2; 11/12/10.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by ingwe

Shaking head, as I can guess the twist...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I found a lightly used one in 308 a couple of months ago at a good price and jumped on it. Overall I like the rifle. Accuracy is good enough.

Mine is 1/4 lb heavier than listed on Winchesters website and I'm not crazy about the stock. B&C advertises this stock as an ultra-lite, but it weighs exactly the same as my standard fill McMillan and is 1/2 to 3/4lb heavier than anyone else's lightweight stocks. It does cost $300 less than an Edge however. Just don't expect a lightweight rifle.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have a featherweight 300 Wizzum and it's not light but about right (8.5 all up) but balances well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead

laffin'

sure nuff!

Spec Sheet

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For the life of me I can't understand what the [bleep] the makers are thinking, I really can't. Of course I see enough folks on here that are skeered of twist to make me go Linda Blair.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i agree wholeheartedly. rpms is yer friend.

but, hey, at least they sold one! grin

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

It'll shoot 53 grainers.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks G2.
That's pretty much what I expected to hear.
Ernie's site is on my favorites list. LOL
As long as it breaks clean without creep I'm sure I can work with the weight of pull.

I'm gonna go to town next week and see if I can find one to fondle, and probably start shopping.

I big game hunting these days amounts to shooting two or three Whitetails (meat Deer) from my deck each year, so the last thing I need is a new rifle, but when has "need" ever had any thing to do with it?

Thanks to everyone else too. Well,,, to those that had something relevent to say anyway.
This place has more a-holes than any web-site I've seen.
The childish, wise assed comments I see on almost every thread are boring and really make the hunting comunity look bad.
I doubt that I'll be back.
Charlie

Last edited by MyDogsHunt; 11/13/10.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a featherweight 300 Wizzum and it's not light but about right (8.5 all up) but balances well.

I assume that the new "featherweight" short mags still have the heavy sporter barrel then?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DD: Yup,they do. But I agree with Scott;the M70 FW in 300 WSM is a really nice rifle.Weight is about right,balnced well without being too heavy.Bout perfect for a 300 WSM IMHO.

The two I have dicked with shot great, too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Alan_C, AdventureBound, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 18 invisible), 14,811 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,983
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.