Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The thing I've learned from this thread is that if ever in a poop-hits-the-fan situation such as a collapse of society......I'd want folks like Askins on my side. I already knew that as he was honest and didn't pretend to be something he wasn't.

What I've also learned is that there are a hell of a lot of folks here at the Campfire that I wouldn't want anywhere near me.

When killing time comes I don't want someone who is busy worrying that all the "rules" have been followed and trying to give my opponent a "fair chance". I want lead in the air and bodies to hit the ground......as fast as possible with as little danger to me and mine as can be arranged.

And I damn sure don't want to listen to a lot of crying later about what was done. I'd much prefer one who "enjoyed" killing that one who drove me up the wall with hand wringing and whimpering.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Askins enjoyed it.

That's the difference.

It's probably not a good idea to spend any more time than necessary around someone who has demonstrated that he enjoys killing people.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TexasRick
� if ever in a poop-hits-the-fan situation such as a collapse of society......I'd want folks like Askins on my side. � I'd much prefer one who "enjoyed" killing than one who drove me up the wall with hand wringing and whimpering.

The last time I saw Charlie (NRA or SCI convention hall � he and I were old friends by then), I was with a man whom Charlie didn't like. He snarled at us and abruptly turned away when I greeted him. I wouldn't dare to entrust my back to such a man in any sort of tense bullets-may-fly-any-second situation.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I understand your point Ken, but I'd feel very comfortable. Just as in the situation you mention....Askins didn't "pretend" to like the man and acted on that feeling.

As I stated earlier, I believe a man would know at all times where he stood with Askins and I like that. I have some of the same tendencies and although it is uncomfortable for some (that's why I tend to be a loner)....I don't "pretend" to like someone just because it is socially expected.

I feel that's the "problem" with Askins.....he never tried to be "politically correct" and said what he meant. Most can't handle raw honesty.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The problem with Askins was,...by all accounts (including his own) he got off on killing people.

He wrote about the killings he could legally justify.

I suspect there were some he didn't write about.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I understand your point Ken, but I'd feel very comfortable. Just as in the situation you mention....Askins didn't "pretend" to like the man and acted on that feeling.

As I stated earlier, I believe a man would know at all times where he stood with Askins and I like that. I have some of the same tendencies and although it is uncomfortable for some (that's why I tend to be a loner)....I don't "pretend" to like someone just because it is socially expected.

I feel that's the "problem" with Askins.....he never tried to be "politically correct" and said what he meant. Most can't handle raw honesty.

Agree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of this strikes me as very "holier than thou".

I see the same posturing when I suggest that it is OK to enjoy the kill when hunting.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BarryC
All of this strikes me as very "holier than thou".

Well,...I don't mind considering myself holier than a cold blooded killer.

I realize that it's faint praise,..but I accept it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Askins sounds a lot like John Wesley Hardin. Same cloth. Some remember Hardin fondly.

When push comes to shove, homicide doesn't care which direction your enemy is facing.

Audie Murphy killed two Italian officers who were riding away. Shot them in the back. He writes about it. We hail Murphy. However, some would have called those killings murder.

I'm not defending Askins. But I'm simply not going to pass judgements from heresay.

It is quite possibly true that he was a sociopath. Perhaps he had a "taste" for it. Or, maybe it was all made up.

The account mentioned where he shot a German soldier in the kidney was a result of the German soldier sabotaging army vehicles. I'm wondering if the tampering ceased after that.

But one can't hail John W Hardin in one breath and condemn Askins in the other.

One can't call him a back-shooter as if it's purjorative and say Murphy was a saint.

One cannot truly vilify a man who shoots an enemy at arms length and laud the man who shoots one from ambush at 500 yards. Or the artilleryman who does the same enmass from 10,000 yards!

Killing, whether intimately or remotely, is what man is good at.

I get the same distasteful feeling when I see a goose hunter laughing like a schoolgirl when his goose plummets from the sky and bounces across the cornfield. I believe there are a lot of men who kill geese and enjoy it, who never truly faced another man who would have killed them given the chance.

Again, I'm not defending Askins. But sanctimony aside, he saw some things.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 11/14/10.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
� I suspect there were some he didn't write about.

There were.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The thing I've learned from this thread is that if ever in a poop-hits-the-fan situation such as a collapse of society......I'd want folks like Askins on my side. I already knew that as he was honest and didn't pretend to be something he wasn't.

What makes you think people like Askins would be on your side?

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Gene...we already know that there would be people like Askins on the other side. It would be nice to have a few to balance the ledger.

Dan

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The last time I saw Charlie (NRA or SCI convention hall � he and I were old friends by then), I was with a man whom Charlie didn't like. He snarled at us and abruptly turned away when I greeted him. I wouldn't dare to entrust my back to such a man in any sort of tense bullets-may-fly-any-second situation.

A man like Charlie is exactly who I'd want by my side if the bullets started flying. A man with his ability and experienced would increase my chances of survival by lowering the enemy numbers quickly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No, it wouldn't. I'd like people like Teddy Roosevelt on my side. Or Melvin Purvis, for that matter. Thing about psychotics is they don't really have a "side."

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Askins sounds a lot like John Wesley Hardin. Same cloth. Some remember Hardin fondly.

When push comes to shove, homicide doesn't care which direction your enemy is facing.

Audie Murphy killed two Italian officers who were riding away. Shot them in the back. He writes about it. We hail Murphy. However, some would have called those killings murder.

I'm not defending Askins. But I'm simply not going to pass judgements from heresay.

It is quite possibly true that he was a sociopath. Perhaps he had a "taste" for it. Or, maybe it was all made up.

The account mentioned where he shot a German soldier in the kidney was a result of the German soldier sabotaging army vehicles. I'm wondering if the tampering ceased after that.

But one can't hail John W Hardin in one breath and condemn Askins in the other.

One can't call him a back-shooter as if it's purjorative and say Murphy was a saint.

One cannot truly vilify a man who shoots an enemy at arms length and laud the man who shoots one from ambush at 500 yards. Or the artilleryman who does the same enmass from 10,000 yards!

Killing, whether intimately or remotely, is what man is good at.

I get the same distasteful feeling when I see a goose hunter laughing like a schoolgirl when his goose plummets from the sky and bounces across the cornfield. I believe there are a lot of men who kill geese and enjoy it, who never truly faced another man who would have killed them given the chance.

Again, I'm not defending Askins. But sanctimony aside, he saw some things.

Dan

Good post

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
� A man like Charlie is exactly who I'd want by my side if the bullets started flying. A man with his ability and experience would increase my chances of survival by lowering the enemy numbers quickly.

Even if I could be sure that Charlie was "on my side," I couldn't trust him not to shoot me in the back for whatever "reason" might move him to action at the time.

� a lot more coldly than Hickok killed his own deputy!

"Good enough" isn't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Do you know more about Charlie than you have stated or is this a gut feeling?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Even if I could be sure that Charlie was "on my side," I couldn't trust him not to shoot me in the back for whatever "reason" might move him to action at the time.

I expect if it was you and Charlie Askins in a lifeboat, it wouldn't be two of you for very long.

- Tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Do you know more about Charlie than you have stated or is this a gut feeling?

I know a lot more about Charlie than I'm going to post. Hasn't the tenor of my posts hinted as much?

More to the point, I know a lot more about Charlie than you do.

So your conjectured assessment of Charlie and mine are bound to differ.

Understandable.

OK by me.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tjm10025
� I expect if it was you and Charlie Askins in a lifeboat, it wouldn't be two of you for very long.

You've discerned the drift!

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1lesfox, 73 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,484
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.