-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One of my buddies from school came home with me this weekend to see if we could find him a Muley. He is from Iowa and has never killed a Mule Deer until today. The place we went this morning always holds whitetails but we havent see a Mule Deer there in a couple years. He had a whitetail doe tag so we were goiong to try to fill that tag. We spooked a big whitetail buck off and I caught an odd white spot out of the corner of my eye. To our surprise it was a Muley and a buck at that! I dont know how we got this lucky but he just stood there and never knew we were around. We snuck into about 150 yards and Jason used my 270 Win and made a perfect shot on him. He was quartering away from us pretty hard and Jason put the shot right behind his ribs and took out his liver, lungs and put a thumb size hole in his heart! He only went 5 yards and piled up! I even found the bullet between his body and hide on the other side. Jason used my handloads with 130gr Accubonds. Here are a few pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The rifle was unloaded. Ill post a pic or two of the bullet later. Perfect mushroom. I was impressed by the damage done by this bullet.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The rifle was unloaded.

There's no way I'd pose like that anyway. At least the bolt could have been left open.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mathman
The rifle was unloaded.

There's no way I'd pose like that anyway. At least the bolt could have been left open.

They must teach a WAY different style of Hunter Safety in IA than I have ever seen... confused

Congrats on the buck but I have a question. Did he have a whitetail doe tag or a muley buck tag? Or both?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He had a general deer license which he could have filled with a whitetail buck or doe or could have also shot a mule deer buck or doe for that tag. He also has a tag specifically for a whitetail doe also. So we still got some killin left to do tomorrow morning. We put about 150 whitetails to bed in a big stubble field tonight and we have two different places we can sit to catch them heading back to their daytime bedding areas.

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congrats to your friend! First buck is a big deal. Stay safe..

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Dont sweat the pic. Tell your buddy congrats and dont forget the pic of the bullet.

Joseph

Joseph
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DeerTracker
We put about 150 whitetails to bed in a big stubble field tonight and we have two different places we can sit to catch them heading back to their daytime bedding areas.

Sounds like you need some wolves.....(grin)

That's a herd of deer!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
No wolves for me! We do need to thin some of the herd though before they get diseased and kill each other off. Wish they would let us buy at least a couple more doe tags over the counter to cut em back a little bit. But one good thing about this place, with this many does, the bucks come from everywhere this time of year!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow alot different than here in kalispell,here they shouldn't give out any B tags the deer #'s are down because of the stinkin wolves.You still see game but nothing like 10 years ago.

1 and done
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He looks pleased.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool! Nice to see your buddy got his first mule deer.

Your buddy looks all business in the front, party in the back, if I do say so myself! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to your buddy! That's a great buck--first buck or 100th!!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Cool! Nice to see your buddy got his first mule deer.

Your buddy looks all business in the front, party in the back, if I do say so myself! grin

He is still working on the mullet. lol. He is a rugby player and he is growing it out for a big rugby tournament this spring. He killed a whitetail doe this morning also. I got him up on her with about a 150 yard shot. We thought he hit her good because she mule kicked and ran and stood there with her legs all splayed out. Then she bedded down. I stayed where he shot from the first time and he put the sneak on her to finish her off. He jumped up and ran about 30 yards and stopped and looked back at him. All I could see from my spot was a spray of blood about 10 feet in the air and she dropped right where she stood. He made an awesome head shot on her. I got pics of it but its to gruesome to post up here. I must say a 130gr accubond from a 270 Win majorly disrupts the cranial cavity! All ill say is that we found a piece of skull about 40 yards from where she was standing. His first shot hit to far forward and clipped the front of her brisket and front shoulder. He fired 3 shots on two deer this weekend and all connected! While we were walking back to get the truck my buddy called and asked if we would come help him drag out the bull he shot yesterday evening. He didnt find it till this morning and i think its mostly spoiled. Jason was pretty eager to help since he had never seen an elk in the wild before. Hard, cold, windy work but we had fun gettin the bull out.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Pass along a congrats to your friend.

On the gun thing... familiarity breeds contempt so I'd play it safe and, loaded or not, keep that thing pointed in a safe direction. I literally shivered the first time I browsed those pics!

Be anal retentive on that point and you guys will have many wonderful hunts to come!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Congrats to your buddy!

Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice work. You are a good friend to take a buddy hunting and get him on some deer like you did.

Well done!

I'm a big fan of the .270Win also.

Bob Lee Swagger for President

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 39 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,320
Posts18,526,412
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.