Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My own choice has been a selection of assorted lower quality at lower prices rather than the whole budget on a superb binocular and then use the only glass I might then have for everything.

I've got the discontinued (thanks Doug for the opportunity to buy one of the very last) Minox 15X58 for big eyes on a tripod - and the Leupold Katmai 6x30 and a Brunton 8x25 for handy along with a Brunton 8x40 for leaving the big eyes behind - Nikon spotter.

Some of my choice of 8X for hand held is I think age and altitude related - my eyes aren't so good and my hands shake despite the little tricks of balancing a little weight - box of loaded cartridges or a loaded detachable magazine on top of the binocular tubes for extra weight and so inertia and so hopefully more steady hold - also clamping onto a baseball cap brim and other tricks of harness and monopod - drop a lanyard and step on it then hold against the tension to steady today's higher (than traditional in the old days when the B&L 9x35 was a high power) power binoculars.

Then too I'm not fond of a sling and assorted straps when I'm approaching game as opposed to a walk in the woods although I'm also of the belief that if my barrel is too long and the sling is catching branches and brush I must be walking too fast.

Best glass for the purpose I've ever had my hands on was a porro 7x50 B*GA Zeiss for marine use when I was young and had good eyes and I don't doubt the impact of quality glass I just want a variety and I can't afford a variety and quality at the same time.

So my advice is whatever Doug has the best price/quality on either 10x40 - universally popular for a reason - or just maybe but not my choice 12x50 if you're feeling confident and prepared to make serious adjustments in using them - and my experience is that time in the terrain matters more than quality of optic, maybe a little more practice with what you have in the new terrain would make a big difference - learning to see means seeing things that other folks who fly in with the best gear still miss.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 11/01/10.
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Most guys would experience greater success if they took the $500 and invested in a gym membership and a personal trainer for 3 months before the season, than spend it on a "good value" bino. IMO.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I had $500 to spend on new binos, I would go with Nikon's Monarch X in 10.5x45. I've had a few pair of Nikons and my current go to hunting binos are a pair of 8x25 Monarch ATBs. The new Monarch X can usually be found for about your price range. And the standard Monarchs are less than that. I think Nikon is good, under rated glass.

That said, opinions on glass are just that, opinions. And everyone has one and everyone's eyes are different. So, IMO you should buy as much glass as you can afford based on what YOU see in a side by side comparison.

Rob

Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Calvin
Find youself a pair of Zeiss 10x40 Classics... They'll serve you well. Stay away from junk.
It's obvious the OP has seen the light, when it comes to binos. Tossing a pair of Leupold Binos out there is just mean.

I'd rather eat Top Ramen for a year to be able to afford good glass, than hunt with junk. Picking up a used Zeiss Classic in 10x40 and Zeiss Diascope spotter is as good as it gets for the guy not wanting to refinance his house.
It's obvious the OP has seen the light, when it comes to binos. Tossing a pair of Leupold Binos out there is just mean.

I'd rather eat Top Ramen for a year to be able to afford good glass, than hunt with junk. Picking up a used Zeiss Classic in 10x40 and Zeiss Diascope spotter is as good as it gets for the guy not wanting to refinance his house.

You are killing me with your posts....killing me with laughter. I've been thinking the same thing but you posted....both on the nice glass and better conditioning. You are dead right on both calls.

I can't agree one way or another on the specific bino's mentioned as I'm a babe in the woods on these. I did just make some huge improvements on riflescopes and want to make some additional upgrades on my binos. I've been using a pair of Nikon Action 10x50mm for a few years....$95 Walmart deal. They are better than what I had but I'm ready for a serious set.

I'll be cruising the OPTICS forum a good bit in hopes of gaining some knowledge.

Bob Lee Swagger for President
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
What JG said. If I ever buy a 10X binocular, it will be a Leupold GR or a Meopta, 2nd. Very tough and very sharp. Way better than any of the Nikon Monarchs.
Another good bet are the Pentax SP's. I've been using an 8X43 for some years now as a casual binocular and it's right up there too. E

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am in the pineywoods of E. TX.

I talked to Doug earlier today and ordered the Vortex Diamondback 8x42 and a harness.

These are replacing Bausch and Lomb marked china made 28-4210 10x42 that were dropped.

Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Ordered and recieved from Doug a set of Minox 8.5x52mm HG

I am very, very happy with this buy.

Bob Lee Swagger for President
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RedRabbit
Longbow,
What do you have now?
If they are decent but underpowered, you might consider a pair of the the Vortex Razor 12x50 that Doug also has for $499. A little more magnification for LR glassing off a tripod. 12x is not what you would really want to use handheld and expect to be steady. If you can save some more before next fall, I would get a pair of 15x like the Vortex Kaibab 15x for tripod work and scouring for the open country muleys and elk

If your current pair is trashworthy, I would start with some 10x. The Zen-Ray 10x43 ED2 would be real nice and about 10oz lighter around the neck than the 10x50 Razors and $90 lighter also. The Z-R optics are equal to the Razor, but the fit and finish seem slightly better with the Razors, imo.
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/zenray.pl?page=zenray-zened21043

I have had a pair of Leica 10x50 and found their weight around the neck to be more than desired. On the bino harnesses, their added weight caused to much bounce and swing from the elastic straps.

Even using 10x on a tripod has great benefits over handheld, if you do not get 12, 13 or 15x binos. It is much easier to detect detail and tiny movements like turning heads and tail twitches within the field of view if the binos are rock-steady.

Doug~RR

+1.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 31 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,882
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.