Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 532 of 1,842 1 2 530 531 532 533 534 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
Here's some Chickenbuck love from Rocksprings Texas...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Lookin good Bart.

You shirt matches your rifle.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I myself didn't get stuck in the mud this deer hunting season (yet), but my Trail Blazer did.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It don't look bad but I was hung up. I was to the left doing fine and I got sucked right into the ruts. The Prowler wouldn't do it so Dave had to get the tractor. Thanks Cussin! smile

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
[Linked Image]
Here's some Chickenbuck love from Rocksprings Texas...

LOVE IT BART!!!!!!! Looks great!

"I'm not crying!!"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well Cussin,

Dave worked on the road for 2 hours after he pulled you out and on the way out....we rutted it up again. Not as bad as it was when the weekend began so if it freezes and stays that way, I think it will be BETTER but still not the way it was before the loggers. BUT......I'm not a road expert either. grin

Guess we'll fix here and there as we can. So glad to see you guys again this weekend. Thanks for coming. And remember your ALWAYS welcome no matter what the day, time, weather, etc.

It was fun to see you Tzone and Ryan also. I had lots of fun. Thank you so much for coming up our way.

"I'm not crying!!"
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Bart the chickenbuck shirt looks like it fits right in down in Texas!

As Pam stated, yest we are frustrated with the road to camp. I did spend hours yesterday working on it with the tractor and I did have it pretty nice. I think it worked well for Dusty to get out yesterday but between the time he left and when we finally left the light snow turned to light rain and the trail surface got greasy. We couldn't keep the trucks tracking straight on the way out and we rutted it again.

This caused great frustration for chickenbuck Dave who then explored the full range of travel for the skinny peddle down by his feet. I hit the water hole at the end doing about 40.

My entire truck is mud colored.

I may go out there tuesday night to run the tractor up & down the trail again and try to leave out of there without driving on it. That way the trail should be frozen and rut free for the most part by this weekend for the final run at 2010 rifle season.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice shirt Bart. How are things down in Texas? My shirt will be making it's first appearance at camp this thursday.

Muffy, you need to put a set of mud tires on that chevy. smile

Looks like we'll have snow on the ground for the opener Saturday.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
it looks like you got some deer dave, we didn't want to have to make ruts in to camp there this weekend so we didn't show up, our road is getting miserable too, hoping to get it smoothed out a bit with the tractor and froze this week as well. maybe we'll get to stop out this next weekend for a visit!

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Nice shirt Bart. How are things down in Texas? My shirt will be making it's first appearance at camp this thursday.

Looks like we'll have snow on the ground for the opener Saturday.

I think I also need a lift kit. If I had one I probly would have made it.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Deer Hunting 2010

Deer season started out with a lot of optimism this year as we had seen some nice bucks around and even had a dandy 10+ pointer on the trail camera. The weather was clear and cool and we were hearing reports of bucks chasing does in broad daylight in the days leading up to the season.

The first weekend came and went and was frankly, a disappointment. There were 10 guys hunting and only a small sized 9 pointer was shot. Only 1 or 2 big bucks were even seen.

On Wednesday, I promised to take Lauren out hunting. The problem was, it was raining and about 45 degrees. But Lauren wanted to go, so we went. We sat in Dad�s box stand with the cover on, huddled down trying to keep dry. We did see 13 does and a buck, but none were very close. Not a great sit for her first time ever deer hunting.

On Friday night, I took Lauren again and this time used my ground blind and sat by a field that I knew there would be does in. We saw 9 does, but no bucks.

[Linked Image]

Saturday morning was cloudy and it was going to snow. I was back in my stand (by myself). Didn�t see much of anything until a little after 8 am. Then I had 3 does sneak across in front of me and they spent the next half hour in some thick brush off to my right. I heard them move a little towards a clearer area and looked back and sure enough there was a buck with them now. But he was a little shaver, so I just watched.

Right then, I heard another buck grunt, but I couldn�t tell where it was coming from. It was snowing now and I was trying to find this other buck. He grunted again and I knew he was out in front of me somewhere. Another couple grunts and I knew he was in the field to the east. Then 2 deer zipped into the woods in front of me and I knew one of them was the buck and he was chasing the doe! Almost immediately the doe trotted across the very end of my shooting lane about 90 yards away and I got ready, with the gun up and waited. All of a sudden the buck ran across the lane and I didn�t have time to even move! I sure hoped I was going to get a better chance than that. As lady luck was on my side, the doe came right towards me until she was about 40 yards away and then re-crossed the same shooting lane. The buck, which I could tell was a nice one, was right behind her. He stopped in my shooting lane at about 40 yards. I had the scope on him and the safety off and as I looked at him I realized he was probably a 3 � year old, but his 8 point rack was just not quite what I was hoping for. Then, as if they said �you had your chance�, they spun and took off running through the woods. I sat there with my heart drumming and realized I had just passed up the biggest buck I ever had. It was a dang nice buck and I had second thoughts for a minute. But then I realized, I sure enjoyed the show they gave me and hopefully he will be back next year.

I kept my eyes on that general area and was in deep thought when all of a sudden there was another buck that was just going to cross the same lane. But he was smaller yet, a 1 � year old 7 pointer. Wow, what a fun time!

I was still pumped after watching all this take place when there, in that same lane, came a big buck, walking right at me sniffing for that hot doe! This buck was considerably taller, wider, and had more mass to his rack. I didn�t have much time as he closed the distance to about 35 yards pretty fast and then turned to go into the brush leaving me with a broadside shot. At the shot, he lurched forward about 10 yards and then spun back the way he came. I had a possible shot through the brush, but realized he was not looking very good. A second or two later, he dropped and lay still. Now the adrenaline was REALLY pumping.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got Brian and Dad over there and we took pictures and hauled him out.

[Linked Image]

We got it back and Wyatt (my 2 � year old boy) made a comment that will be remembered a long time with the deer hunting crew up there. As he stood admiring the buck, he said, �I�m gonna eat that buck!�.

[Linked Image]

Technical details: Shot with a Beretta 12 gauge shotgun with 2 � inch Federal Barnes Expander slugs at 35 yards. Complete pass through, damaged the heart and went through the off-side shoulder.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Great story, awesome pictures and great buck.

Congrats Barettaman!

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice buck.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
"I'm gonna eat that buck"

Classic! grin

Congrats B man!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice buck BM.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

I didn't see any Ford's or Toyota's needing a pull. Maybe that's the problem.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Congrats Dean. Great buck. I like how the rack is dark stained on the inside but not the outer part. That makes it really cool looking.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
How was your first day at the new job Tom?

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's good to be back in the game. Lots of stuff to do, but not physically hard.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed getting the kids ready for school in the morning and getting them off the bus until I didn't get to do it today.

We are on our way to check out a daycare right now.

laterz.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dropped my boy at daycare, just about to leave and he yells DADA! I go back in, he runs up, gives me a hug and a kiss, says love you dada and goes to play with his friends. just melted my heart smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh how sweet. smile What did he think of the deer you brought home.

Page 532 of 1,842 1 2 530 531 532 533 534 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.