Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rattler

as i said charge me nonresident rates and the tags are still the cheapest part of my hunting......if i was hunting for meat i would shoot whitetail off a friends haystack 7 miles from home......for what i spend in gas alone to chase mule deer i could by a full beef and half a ranch raised bison cut how i want....

Could not have said it any better myself. Good job.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hunted MT this week and Will be next year as well....
A two hundred dollar increase is peanuts in the scheme of things. Especially so given the redundant gear and guns that most guys needlessly buy.
I am neutral on 161, but if anything the effect on me is positive, given my odds go up. I hunted with an outfitter this year, but always apply for my own tags
I would be happy if the increased the tags a bit more to keep the number of out of staters low and decrease the hunting pressure a bit.

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Reading all of this one thing becomes very clear....a lot of democrats in Montana. A democrat is a person who wants everything at someone else expense.

They want to hunt but the out of state "RICH" people can pay for our FWP (over 10% of the total budget is from non res big game license alone), I want a place to hunt and because my fellow Montana land owners want their cut (Block Management) we will have the non res's pay for that too. (hunted on a BM ranch this year, do it your self, I am a poor "RICH non res" and the rancher told me that he has aprox 400 to 500 people sign in on his land alone each year. Of that a handful at best were non res hunters. I was there a week and only 3 other non res for that week.)

Can't allow the outfitters to make a dollar, and now that we have them on the ropes lets stomp on them. Seems to me they are just working people too. Overall according to Great Falls newspaper non res outfitter hunting has been on the decline with prices falling and license counts declining. The economy sucks and Montana wants to kill the outfitting business. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'll never forget the line from the Billings newspaper, a few years ago (non res bashing in Montana has been an ongoing sport...not much entertainment out their you know) when they described non res hunters as "wealth non resident hunters" no distinction that I can remember from do it yourselfers and outfitters hunters. If you have 2 nickels to rub together and you enjoy hunting you must be wealth.

And for the one guy who wrote that non res have no choice they just have to pay what the states says, oh yes they do, don't go at all. One year of non res boycotting Montana and the FWP would be bankrupt. This isn't going to happen however, the NFO tried that back in the 60's with pig farmers to raise the price of pork.

Montana hunters like to bash the people who have managed to make a few dollars more, just like Nancy P and the president, Democrates!

I hope you all remember that the folks with money always get to do what they want to do and if you stop them in won't make things for you any better.

Montana has serious issues with their res, non-res, outfitter access rules. I just wish they could get the politics and the democrates, self serving voters, out of the equation so the professionals, FWP personnel could manage the balance.

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nah looks like your reading comprehension sucks.......

#1 the bill wasnt about out of state hunters, it was about outfitters and the fact they chose to piss off a bunch of Montanans.....

#2 i said i woulda voted to get rid of the outfitter sponsored tags if it raised the cost of the tags i buy, i save money all year to spend it like a drunken sailor for 6 weeks out of the year to chase mule deer and speed goats and if im lucky elk.....some more money out of my pocket to buy the tags dont bug me......

#3 when planning to go out of state i dont b!tch bout having to pay sales tax when i dont at home or any of that bullchit i say yes sir and write out the [bleep] check.....im looking at dropping serious cash in a few years to shoot critters in Australia i aint b!tching on the cash i plan to lay out there, i aint gonna b!tch bout the cost when i finally hunt Texas...ill just write out the [bleep] check or not go....

Last edited by rattler; 11/17/10.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I didnt think I was b!tching about the cost..I'll pay it..
I should have been out to Montana by now. But life, kids have taken up my time and money so far..I have enough cash to enjoy life and pay the bills..But I am far from rich..

Hunt...
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Its not so much about the money but about the fact that they are stealing it.

I have hunted montana several times and drove from one end of the state to the other almost. I really like it there but a deer tag is not worth $527.

Montana recieves its share of federal money that comes from all us and now because I don't live there I have to pay $500 for a deer tag. I just don't know if I will pay it. I don't mind paying extra for a tag but at some point it becomes stealing.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i aint evenly mildly well off....as i said i save year round for my hunting season cause i dont make alot either and will put in 40 hours in 3 days so i can spend the next 4 hunting....a $200 increase wouldnt phase me cause ill cut out a few days of hunting to save on what i would spend on gas to make up the difference.....ive eaten alot of peanut butter sandwiches to squirrel away cash for a gun or more gas money for hunting.....

unless your a farmer or rancher with the critters on your land it aint that cheap to seriously hunt mule deer for residents either on public land.....major reason my wife and i choose to live here is for chasing critters in October and November.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What does a non-resident Elk/Deer combo tag cost everywhere else?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I was born and raised in Montana and now live in Utah. Whatever its faults, Montana still has much better deer hunting opportunities for the average resident/non-resident than Utah. Our season this year in the northern region was 3 DAYS!!!

I don't like the price increase but it really is insignificant in the scheme of things. I'd rather spend the extra $200 for the chance to hunt whitetails and mule deer during the rut than dropping it on some "must have" gadget.

You've got to pay to play and I plan on playing.

Brian

Last edited by Brian_Bingham; 11/17/10.
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
IMO..its not the cost of the tag...its part of the cost of the hunt.....
Hell an Iowa buck and doe tag cost a friend of mine almost 700..

Hunt...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brian_Bingham
I was born and raised in Montana and now live in Utah. Whatever its faults, Montana still has much better deer hunting opportunities for the average resident/non-resident than Utah. Our season this year in the northern region was 3 DAYS!!!

I don't like the price increase but it really is insignificant in the scheme of things. I'd rather spend the extra $200 for the chance to hunt whitetails and mule deer during the rut than dropping it on some "must have" gadget.

You've got to pay to play and I plan on playing.

Brian

thats just it....i was hunting public land this weekend that was crawling with hunters, from the road i still saw over 150 mule deer.....ild pay $500 for them odds.....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some of you guys could squeeze blood from a turnip, no doubt.
Dont like MT tag prices? Its pretty easy...spend your money elsewhere.
My money will continue going to MT and for more than a few reasons.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

unless your a farmer or rancher with the critters on your land it aint that cheap to seriously hunt mule deer for residents either on public land.....

when all is said and done last weekend for my long weekend of hunting i prolly dropped close to $400 to cruise the country side and look at critters and not chamber a round....to hunt an area that starts 60 miles from my door....

Guess it must get expensive hunting out of the pickup all day....(laughin'!)

Gotta give you chit Sheridan.........(grin)

I spent about $30 in gas to drive out and back the one day I actually got to go mule deer hunting(public land). Maybe $20 the day Rancho and I went lope hunting.
Might have went through a $40 bill the day Lynnard and I drove around and drank beer. I got the beer, he bought the fuel, worked out pretty well!

Last edited by SamOlson; 11/17/10.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think it is going to change the amount of hunters, just the economic status of the out of state hunters. When Iowa started giving Nonresident tags we also started to have private leasing and actually had less resident opportunities. I will hunt Montana every chance I get because I'm not going to put a price on memories. My last Montana hunt will live with me forever.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by DINK
Its not so much about the money but about the fact that they are stealing it.

I have hunted montana several times and drove from one end of the state to the other almost. I really like it there but a deer tag is not worth $527.

Montana recieves its share of federal money that comes from all us and now because I don't live there I have to pay $500 for a deer tag. I just don't know if I will pay it. I don't mind paying extra for a tag but at some point it becomes stealing.

Dink

Why can people not understand you are not paying to hunt on public land, you are paying to hunt animals that are owned/managed by each state.

Last edited by SLM; 11/17/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
My last Montana hunt will live with me forever.

ddj

ddj, if I remember correctly you took one helluva a nice whitetail!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

unless your a farmer or rancher with the critters on your land it aint that cheap to seriously hunt mule deer for residents either on public land.....

when all is said and done last weekend for my long weekend of hunting i prolly dropped close to $400 to cruise the country side and look at critters and not chamber a round....to hunt an area that starts 60 miles from my door....

Guess it must get expensive hunting out of the pickup all day....(laughin'!)

Gotta give you chit Sheridan.........(grin)

I spent about $30 in gas to drive out and back the one day I actually got to go mule deer hunting(public land). Maybe $20 the day Rancho and I went lope hunting.
Might have went through a $40 bill the day Lynnard and I drove around and drank beer. I got the beer, he bought the fuel, worked out pretty well!

lol no worries grin keep in mind we are toting around my wifes 90 year old father.....plus been out there enough we got our hot spots we like to check out and dont you usually got Fred with yah over north the lake?.....i dont got a partner that can pack my arse around, my gas bill is high but its cheaper than keeping an alcoholic horse supplied in whiskey laugh grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
on second thought.....will he take beer instead? if Fred is willing to work for beer i would like to borrow him......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Skip is 90? Old bastid!

Yeah, Fred only burns a couple dollars a day but trying to hunt big deer off a horse sucks!
Might work better during the rut but Fred and company are always back home by then. I'll still take my own feet anyday out there deer hunting, sneaky on a horse just does not work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hell i just want him to drag the [bleep] out of whatever hell hole i shoot one in......Skips half mile of rope only goes so far.....

ive hunted and went rock climbing behind the Burke Ranch after a buck, been down in Cabin and down off the side of Timber.....we do walk plenty wink

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 51 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,620
Posts18,511,962
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.