-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The older I get the more the feet hurt while in the field.I'm in the market for a good light weight/warm and water proof hunting boot.Would be willing to spend $200 or a little more if I could find what I need in that price range that was also comfortable.

I know this has been touched on before but wanted some suggestions from you guys before I make the purchase.Been lookin at Cabela's so if there's one there you suggest let me know..TNX

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like Danner Pronghorns. I have both insulated and uninsulated pairs. Be aware, if you order,that they run a tad narrow.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if they are still on the market, but a few years back I bought my son a pair of the Browning Nomads. Sometimes I wonder just how many miles he put on those things. He loved them.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wolverine. As comfortable as they get and far more durable than most others. Maybe all of 'em.

Use good socks doubled up for insulation rather than lots of Thinsulate. That way you can compensate for the actual temp as you wish.

POC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a pair of Rocky pack boots for about 15 years. They were great. I wore them until the rubber dry-rotted and they finally fell apart. I got a new pair of Redheads last winter, my feet freeze in them.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a pair Schnees's 13" Hunter boots. I cant say enough good about them. IIRC if you order direct they are american made. The ones from cabelas basspro etc are imported.

www.schnees.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Danner's "Made in America"

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Chippewa arctic 50's.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Take a look at the Meindl's at Cabela's,I have three different pairs and am very happy with all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I like Danner Pronghorns. I have both insulated and uninsulated pairs. Be aware, if you order,that they run a tad narrow.

+1

I've worn the toes out and the rest of the lower seams are going, but they are by far the most comfortable hunting boots I've had. The new version has a reinforced toe piece to address the onl issues I've had with them.

By the way, not all Danners are made in USA. Pronghorns are not.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cageycat
Take a look at the Meindl's at Cabela's,I have three different pairs and am very happy with all.

Yup.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Danners, +1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenetrek Boots of Montana are more pricey than what you say you are willing to pay, but if you try on a pair they will make a believer of you. The wife bought me a pair 3 years ago and I love them.
Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have ordered a pair Schnee's Extreme 10" Pac Boots for ladies. They come highly recommended, and I am looking forward to them arriving and getting a chance to try them. Will post my comments when they get here smile

http://www.schnees.com/category/boots-shoes

Lynn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

i have some foot problems which will eventually require surgery... (hammer toes, etc.)
the danner pronghorn is the lightest boot that i can find in size 16, and it also gives serious support to my feet... a solid, stiff footbed and fairly roomy toebox helps immensely...

size for size, i'm sure that there are lighter boots made, but haven't found anything else which offers the comfort and support...

i paid $148 for a new pair just this week at the "shoe box" in black earth, wisconsin...

here's a link to The Shoe Box

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
+1 on the Cabela's Meindl boots.

I've had several pairs, and they have all been fantastic. I have the Canada and the Alaska Hunter, and will buy more when these are done. The Alaska Hunter is a fairly heavy boot, and both have 200 gram Thinsulate insulation and a Gore-Tex liner.

If you need/want a lighter boot, try the Perfekt Hiker or Perfekt Hunter, with the Hiker being uninsulated and the Hunter having 400 gram Thinsulate.

The only Cabela's Meindl boot I can't recommend is the Ibex Pro.

Chris

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Some Danners are made in america, some are not. having said that, i have more than a couple pairs and they are good boots, better if you the made in usa version.

Put my vote in for Schnees. They are awesome and I have used them hard.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started using plain jane rubber boots with an insole and wool socks. best I have ever found for warmth and being waterproof.
plus they are pretty cheap.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (22250rem, 12savage, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 47 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,293
Posts18,505,293
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.