Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I�m the average hunting-oriented gun nut, fascinated by a wide variety of new and old hunting rifles.

One of the best �old� rifles I�ve ever tried is the Savage 99. Has there ever been a more classic hunting rifle? Its hammerless lever-action design was revolutionary, its original rotating magazine ingenious and its style and handling unprecedented. For nearly 100 years the Savage 99 was as synonymous with serious hunting as wool plaid shirts and buck poles.

[Linked Image]

Today, collectors horde all of the various classic Savage 99 models. And a new group of hunters � like me - is discovering just how special and woods-wise the old 99s really were.

[Linked Image]

The problem for many of us, though, has been in locating a classic Savage 99 at a fair price that�s worn just enough to look �classic� and yet still shoots factory ammunition well enough to drill the right ventricle of a buck�s heart at 100-plus yards. In order words, we want a classic Savage 99 that�s a proven, accurate shooter. And we want it to hunt with it right now.

If that�s your problem, and if you�ve always wanted to try a genuine, vintage Savage 99 in the woods, I have a solution for you.

I have a vintage 1949 Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage that I�d like to now sell. I'm posting it on this forum first as a tribute to all the help I received here as I learned about the 99s.

[Linked Image]

This is not a perfect, prissy collector gun to be handled gently and hid away in a gun safe. This is a working Savage 99EG originally out of Wyoming and lovingly marked by decades of sagebrush hunts for mule deer, antelope, whitetails and elk. Its finish has been polished by rough hands, its occasional dings engraved by special events (the buck in the valley, the bull elk on the high ridge above the river, an antelope from the flats, etc.).

[Linked Image]

This is also a gun that can teach you � as it taught me - what you need to know about the classic Savage 99. I�ve owned it for about three years, and its taught me just how effective, how special and how versatile a vintage Savage 99 can be. I�ve hunted mule deer and antelope with this particular rifle and I�ve enjoyed every minute of those experiences. Partly that�s because this rifle shoots so well. It�s a proven game-getter. Just last summer, in preparation for several hunts, I set it up with Weaver mounts and a new Leupold fixed 6-power scope. In that configuration it routinely delivered just under 2-inch groups at 100 yards with factory Federal 150-grain Soft Point ammunition. It also shot factory 150-grain Remington Core-Lokts into 2.1-inch groups at the same distance.

[Linked Image]

The handling in the field of a vintage Savage 99 with a period-correct scope like an old Weaver K4, a newer rifle scope or even a classic receiver peep sight is something to behold. In fact, part of my thought process in originally acquiring this particular Savage 99 was to try it out on hunts in all three of those configurations � old scope, new scope and receiver peep sight. Versatility, I found, is a Savage 99 virtue.

So let�s get down to it. What I have for sale is a proven, accurate vintage 1949 Savage 99 EG �package.� This complete ready-to-hunt package includes the rifle shown, two sets of scope-mounting bases and rings, one classic Weaver K4 scope and a Williams receiver peep sight. I wish someone would have offered me such a proven, versatile package when I first jumped into the world of the Savage 99s. Here are the details of this package.

� One 1949 Savage EG rifle (serial number 591189) chambered in classic .300 Savage. Barrel length is 24 inches. The front sight is a blade with brass rib and bead. Metalwork is hunter-worn in place. So is the stock. See the photos. Its rotating brass magazine is bright and perfect, with its cartridge-counting numbers clearly legible.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/Savage99EG004.jpg[/img]
Some case coloring still exists on the rifle�s slick-as-butter lever. This rifle weighs exactly 7 pounds and 4.8 ounces.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/2010WYAntelopeA092.jpg[/img]

� One set of like-new Weaver scope-mounting bases and rings. The rifle is drilled and tapped for these bases as well as for vintage Buehler bases and rings. I will include both base-and-ring sets with this rifle.

� One period-correct Weaver K4 scope with fine-crosshairs-and-dot reticle (it�s perfectly centered in the scope - my photography just makes it seem off-center). This classic scope came on the rifle when I bought it, and even with that vintage optics setup this rifle shot two-inch groups or better and adjusted right to the center of the target with no problem. Amazing.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009050.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009107.jpg[/img]

See Part II below...

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Part II

[Linked Image]

� One -like-new Williams Receiver Peep Sight. This fine-adjust peep sight was designed to mount perfectly to the factory drilled and tapped holes on the receiver of a vintage Savage 99. This sight setup will allow you to try this rifle in its trimmest form.

[Linked Image]
Okay, here we go. Proven, accurate 1949 Savage EG in .300 Savage, two scope-mount base-and-rings setups, a period-correct Weaver K4 scope and a Williams Receiver Peep Sight�a complete Savage 99 hunting package! And everything, the whole shoot�n match, can be headed for your hands for just $650. The entire setup will be securely packed in a hard case, insured and shipped directly to your FFL agent. You could be shooting a vintage Savage 99 EG in just days!

[Linked Image]

I�ll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have or provide any additional photographs you�d like. The first firm �I�ll take it and am ready to send a Money Order now� will secure it.

Hunt with a true hunting classic!

Bill Krenz
Colorado Springs, CO
billzebrapub.com

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used car salesman in a past life? grin grin grin

Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
preaching to the choir here grin grin

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well, for better or for worse, you gotta admit that was about the most thorough and innovative spiel to come down the pike in a long time!

Selling the sizzle, not the steak, as they say.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, that was one helluva sales pitch.....you damned near had me buying an EG!

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have 535 more like that serving in DC. Let us hope he stays the H$ll out of politics.

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
Wow, that was one helluva sales pitch.....you damned near had me buying an EG!

Joe
They do More than Grow Tomato's,They also Put meet on the Table.
There Not Bad For Tomato Stakes! grin
I Have several in the Garden Of Choice Myself.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does it come with a set of Ginsu knives?

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was hoping for a ....

" LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!****!!!!"

call in the next 30 minutes and get double the ammo for free, THATS RIGHT, double the ammo absolutely free....

just pay shipping and handling *

* shipping and handling on additional ammo only $48.99

Andrew
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Based on the fourth pic down Id say that the 300 savage ruins alot of meat.

But It looks ready to go to the printers timberline!!

Last edited by Grogel_Deluxe; 11/18/10. Reason: forgot to like it

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So much for the help and assistance of the elite Savage Collectors. Surely makes me want to shoot a Savage 99.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Just being picky here, but doesn't a 591189 serial number make it a later date than 1949? Love the Sham Wow pic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the site is called "Savage Collectors" and what you have there is a Savage hunter... its a well used, fairly worn, over sanded, after market drilled and tapped for scope and sling in the most massed produced model in the most mass produced caliber...

If you want to paint a pretty picture... that's great... but don't think you are going to come in here and impress anyone with that sales pitch... we all know exactly what the gun is... you could have just posted a few pics and a price...

nobody was being mean, they could have called your gun overpriced junk... it was good natured ribbing, don't get offended.

Last edited by lovemy99; 11/18/10.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Easy big fell, I havnt seen anything but gentle, good humored ribbing going on here. Now If you start acting offended by that its like chumming for sharks smile

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No offense meant Timberline. This is a hard, critical crowd. You truthfully and completely described your gun and provided detailed photographs. It should sell. I had a smile on my face when reading your post. If it were me, I would paste that posting over on the 24Hr. Classifieds.

I bet a Sham Wow would make a good gun rag.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dude, practice the 11th Commandment...Thou shalt not take thyself so [bleep] seriously. smile

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Timberline, I enjoyed your post very much. It covered all that we here on the collectors forum have been saying for a long time. If someone here wants or needs a hunter, I'm sure you will get a PM about it.
But, you have to remember that this is a collector's forum and most of us are looking for 99's other than the model/caliber/condition combination that is the most often encountered....a 99EG in 300 Sav. Many, many of them are just like yours, a perfect setup for hunting and carrying. But as soon as extra holes are drilled in the wood and metal, collectors won't touch them.
Just my $.02.

Brian

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey i have just gotten a 99 but the barrel is shot and if you could help me find one I would really aprecate that NH Frank

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,617
Posts18,492,642
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.