-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Couldn't find the story in the local paper about the new heavily-armed helicopter-deployed Border special response DPS teams from earlier this week. But here's one from today about the DPS's proactive response to the Border situation.

Heck, if this keeps up I might even start to like Governor Good Hair....

DPS high speed pursuits skyrocket along border

[Linked Image]

DPS pursuits skyrocketing on border

McALLEN � On a quiet November morning, trooper Johnny Hernandez patrols the dusty back roads along the Rio Grande in Hidalgo County. In the back seat, his M4 rifle sits within arm's reach. In the trunk, he stores a bulletproof vest.

The 15-year Department of Public Safety veteran has been in so many high-speed pursuits that he can't remember the first one, and, to be honest, he says he doesn't even think of them in terms of which one is scariest.

�There's just so much� going on, he says. �Your thoughts are going 100 miles per hour.�

Often, so is his car.

Hernandez is one of about 60 DPS troopers on the Texas-Mexico border in Hidalgo County, who together over the past five years have logged far more high-speed chases than DPS officers in any other region of the state....

For troopers who spend their days and nights patrolling the interstates, highways and meandering caliche roads of South Texas, the reason is simple. �We're the first line of defense out here,� Hernandez said. �We're going to have pursuits.�

DPS troopers say smugglers are becoming more active and brazen, taking desperate measures to avoid being caught.

The database also reveals troopers use aggressive pursuit tactics � including firing guns and setting up roadblocks � that many other law enforcement agencies prohibit.

�We've got families, too, and we want to go home to them,� trooper Hernandez said.

God bless 'em.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And watch over them.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was recently at Ft. Davis hunting antelope. I saw what looked like the Goodyear blimp hovering in one place all day. Our guide said it was part of border security and what it was doing or contained was secret.

There are things going on that the news isn't picking up on the Texas border.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep the Shiny Side up, and make it home safe guys!

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the trunk, he stores a bulletproof vest.
That's great if he gets shot in the trunk.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Couldn't find the story in the local paper about the new heavily-armed helicopter-deployed Border special response DPS teams from earlier this week. But here's one from today about the DPS's proactive response to the Border situation.

Heck, if this keeps up I might even start to like Governor Good Hair....

DPS high speed pursuits skyrocket along border

[Linked Image]

DPS pursuits skyrocketing on border

McALLEN � On a quiet November morning, trooper Johnny Hernandez patrols the dusty back roads along the Rio Grande in Hidalgo County. In the back seat, his M4 rifle sits within arm's reach. In the trunk, he stores a bulletproof vest.

The 15-year Department of Public Safety veteran has been in so many high-speed pursuits that he can't remember the first one, and, to be honest, he says he doesn't even think of them in terms of which one is scariest.

�There's just so much� going on, he says. �Your thoughts are going 100 miles per hour.�

Often, so is his car.

Hernandez is one of about 60 DPS troopers on the Texas-Mexico border in Hidalgo County, who together over the past five years have logged far more high-speed chases than DPS officers in any other region of the state....

For troopers who spend their days and nights patrolling the interstates, highways and meandering caliche roads of South Texas, the reason is simple. �We're the first line of defense out here,� Hernandez said. �We're going to have pursuits.�

DPS troopers say smugglers are becoming more active and brazen, taking desperate measures to avoid being caught.

The database also reveals troopers use aggressive pursuit tactics � including firing guns and setting up roadblocks � that many other law enforcement agencies prohibit.

�We've got families, too, and we want to go home to them,� trooper Hernandez said.

God bless 'em.

Birdwatcher

I've always liked DPS, when i lived in TX. while in the Mil.. I've seen some great officer survival skills in some of their dashcam video's, involving shootings. It's a very good agency.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We got a lot of good LEO's here.Not just DPS.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jdm953
We got a lot of good LEO's here.Not just DPS.

Your right, i've only dealt with DPS.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We had a pursuit policy that allowed pursuits only if you were pursuing someone that had just committed a violent felony. So, all the others, we ran toward a Trooper. They don't stop a pursuit for anything.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

734 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 66 invisible), 2,856 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.