Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I�m the average hunting-oriented gun nut, fascinated by a wide variety of new and old hunting rifles.

One of the best �old� rifles I�ve ever tried is the Savage 99. Has there ever been a more classic hunting rifle? Its hammerless lever-action design was revolutionary, its original rotating magazine ingenious and its style and handling unprecedented. For nearly 100 years the Savage 99 was as synonymous with serious hunting as wool plaid shirts and buck poles.

[Linked Image]

Today, collectors horde all of the various classic Savage 99 models. And a new group of hunters � like me - is discovering just how special and woods-wise the old 99s really were/are.

[Linked Image]

The problem for many of us, though, has been in locating a classic Savage 99 at a fair price that�s worn just enough to look �classic� and yet still shoots factory ammunition so well that with it you can still drill the right ventricle of a buck�s heart at 100-plus yards. In order words, we want a classic Savage 99 that�s a proven, accurate shooter. And we want it to hunt with it right now.

If you�ve always wanted to try a genuine, vintage Savage 99 in the woods, I have a solution for you.

I have a vintage 1951 Savage 99 EG in .300 Savage that I�d like to sell.

[Linked Image]

This is not a perfect, prissy collector gun to be handled gently and tucked away in a gun safe. This is a working Savage 99 EG, originally out of Wyoming, and lovingly marked by decades of sagebrush hunts for mule deer, antelope and elk. Its finish has been polished by rough hands, its dings and scratches engraved by special events (the buck in the valley, the bull elk on the high ridge above the river, an antelope from the big flats, etc.).

[Linked Image]

This is also a gun that can teach you � as it taught me - what you want to know about hunting with a classic Savage 99. I�ve owned this particle Savage 99 for about three years, and it�s taught me just how effective, how special and how versatile a vintage Savage 99 can be. I�ve hunted mule deer and antelope with this particular rifle and I�ve enjoyed every minute of those experiences. Partly that�s because this rifle shoots so well. It�s a proven game-getter. Just last summer, in preparation for several hunts, I set it up with Weaver mounts and a new Leupold fixed 6-power scope. In that configuration it routinely delivered just under 2-inch groups at 100 yards with factory Federal 150-grain Soft Point ammunition. It also shot factory 150-grain Remington Core-Lokts into 2.1-inch groups for me at the same distance.

[Linked Image]

The handling in the field of a vintage Savage 99 with a new scope, a period-correct scope like an old Weaver K4 or even a classic receiver peep sight is something to behold. In fact, part of my thought process in originally acquiring this particular Savage 99 was to try this rifle out on hunts in all three of those configurations: new scope, old scope and receiver peep sight. Versatility, I found, is a Savage 99 strong point.

What I�m selling here, however, is more than just the rifle. What I actually have for sale is a complete and proven Savage 99 PACKAGE. This complete ready-to-hunt package includes the Savage 99 rifle shown in all of these photos, two sets of scope-mounting bases and rings, one period-correct Weaver K4 scope and a made-for-the Savage-99 receiver peep sight.

I wish someone would have offered me such a proven, versatile package when I first jumped into the world of the Savage 99s! Here are the details of the package.

The Rifle - One 1951 Savage EG rifle (serial number 591189) chambered in classic .300 Savage. Barrel length is 24 inches. The front sight is a blade with brass rib and bead. Metalwork is hunter-worn in place. So is the stock. See the photos. Its rotating brass magazine is bright and perfect, with its cartridge-counting numbers clearly legible.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/Savage99EG004.jpg[/img]
Some case coloring still exists on the rifle�s slick-as-butter lever. This rifle weighs exactly 7 pounds and 4.8 ounces.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/2010WYAntelopeA092.jpg[/img]

The Bases & Rings � Two complete sets of scope-mounting bases and rings are included in this package. The rifle has been expertly drilled and tapped for both of those sets. One set is the original Buehler one-piece base and rings that came with the rifle. The second set is a newer set of two-piece bases and rings by Weaver.

The Scope - One period-correct Weaver K4 scope with fine-crosshairs-and-dot reticle (it�s perfectly centered in the scope; my photography simply makes it seem off-center). This classic scope came on the rifle when I bought it, and even with that vintage optics setup this rifle shot two-inch groups or better and adjusted right to the center of the target with no problem. Amazing.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009050.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009107.jpg[/img]

See Part II below...

"Don't let the things you can't do, stop you from doing the things you can do."
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Part II

[Linked Image]

The Peep Sight - One like-new Williams Receiver Peep Sight. This fine-adjust peep sight was designed to mount perfectly to the factory drilled and tapped holes on the receiver of this vintage Savage 99. This sight setup will allow you to try this Savage 99 in its trimmest form.

[Linked Image]

Proven, accurate 1951 Savage EG in .300 Savage, two scope-mounting setups, a period-correct Weaver K4 scope and a Williams Receiver Peep Sight� everything for just $650. The entire setup will be securely packed in a hard case, insured and shipped directly to your FFL agent.

[Linked Image]

I�ll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have or provide any additional photographs you�d like. The first firm �I�ll take it and am ready to send a Money Order now� will secure this complete Savage 99 Package.

Hunt with a true hunting classic? And do it with either an old scope, a new scope or a peep sight.

Happy Holidays. Buy NOW for Christmas (maybe even for yourself!).

Bill Krenz
Colorado Springs, CO
billzebrapub.com

[Linked Image]

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Dude the photos are great.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Oh...geez.....

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
steelhead is on this one i bet

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now THAT'S and ad! Nicely done!

Good luck with your sale.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Timberline,

You sure do know how to sell rifles....

You selling anything around tax time...say February.. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
wow, great ad for a great rifle! wish I had some money to burn...!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have no need at all for this rifle, but holy hell I feel compelled to buy it because of the advertsing.

Nicely done on the marketing!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What dealership do you work at? If not, you should be.......

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Very nice, I must have.... one someday. To the top with it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
What dealership do you work at? If not, you should be.......

Rule #1 in marketing; know thy audience. grin
Bump for a good guy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Make an offer or propose an interesting trade!

I�m fascinated by hunting rifles and shotguns. Possible trade items (full trade or partial trade) that would interest me would include such things as:

� McMillan hunting rifle stocks
� 25-06 rifle (especially M700 XHR)
� 35 Whelen rifle
� Combination Gun � shotgun/rifle
� Side-by-Side Shotguns (BSS, AYA)
� Winchester Model 12 shotgun (particularly 16 gauge Featherweight)
� Lightweight 20 gauge shotguns (example - Ithaca M37 Featherweight)
� Canoe or kayak

I also have other items to sell/trade, including rifles up to .375 H&H, binoculars, two tanned black bear hides, rifle scopes, etc. Who knows what sort of interesting trade or deal we could come up with.

[Linked Image]

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
THAT is a BEAUTIFUL 99..WOW And, in a desireable chambering too.
Price is right too.
Good salesmanship.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I own a Savage 99 like yours, but I enjoyed the photos!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For those of you who post in the classifieds, use this post as a reference.

Lots of photos, taken outside where mother nature provides the lighting.

Answers all the questions, how does it shoot? condition? trade options? accessories? price? serial number? etc., etc.

Absolutely perfect.

If I didn't own a 1951 EG in 300 Savage already, I would snap this one up in a heartbeat.

Fantastic job.

Bump for a well thought out, "Ad of the Year".

Bravo

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Sent an e-mail. Dan

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A very nice trade offer was made, but this is still available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT
Dude the photos are great.

My first thought as well!! After reading the ad, I was bracing myself for a ridiculously high price, and then it was only $650. Wow!

Free Bump for an ad done right!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Several excellent trade offers made, but this is still available.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (16gage, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16penny, 65 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,618
Posts18,492,662
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.