-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 538 of 1,842 1 2 536 537 538 539 540 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is he really? Woo Hoo!!! Should have been done a long time ago.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I really need to get serious about food plots etc."

Think Pumpkins. They are easy and cheap to grow and deer absolutely love them. Just don't grow them too close to where you are going to be sitting on a stand or where you will be still hunting.

As for the firing of Childress, now fire everyone else on the team that is over 30 years old!!!!!!!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Hmm, yeah i dunno if our DNR would like the pumpkin idea.

easy to spot as bait from a plane flying over.

Reminds me of a local guy that bought a dozen or so brand new basketballs and put them out in an opening in front of his stand.

DNR came stomping in with their chests puffed up to bust him for baiting with pumpkins.

He was baiting alright, not deer though, he was baiting DNR. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hmm, yeah i dunno if our DNR would like the pumpkin idea.

easy to spot as bait from a plane flying over.

Reminds me of a local guy that bought a dozen or so brand new basketballs and put them out in an opening in front of his stand.

DNR came stomping in with their chests puffed up to bust him for baiting with pumpkins.

He was baiting alright, not deer though, he was baiting DNR. grin

That is way too funny!! laugh

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ND

I have the same DNR as you do. I guess we have to find a Court of Appeals case that defines "In the vicinity of" to determine how close one can hunt to a food plot. The regs clearly state that you cannot pile up a bunch of pumpkins and hunt over them, but it isn't very clear as to how far away from a food plot you have to be in order to be legal about it.

I am not a big believer in hunting over bait, but I do believe in being able to plant something somewhere on your property in order to keep deer in the general area. The whole question being, as I stated above, what vicinity means.

Good luck.

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I hear ya. And I knew what you meant. It's just that our property is either fully heavily wooded, some tag/brush and the rest swamp. So land that i can clear for plots is brushy areas for the most part and that's not a lot, maybe 4 to 5 little areas at best. So We're going to want to have stands over those spots or very close by them.

For that reason I'm thinking I have to go with more of the grass or leafy plant type plots. If i had more areas that would be easily converted to food plots I'd seriously consider planting stuff like pumpkins & we'd just try our best to set up safely away from them.

If I knew they'd grow ok in the heavy timber where the sun doesn't get in very well we'd just let them grow out in the heavy timber areas.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

A couple of deer stand views from yesterday morning.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave,

Where are those shots from? Is that the new spot you and Ryan set up in?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the first one is from the stand looking west from the cedars by where I parked my car, kinda towards your stand it faces. the second one I think is from the pumpkin stand? least thats my best guess. the last one is hard to tell, could be the grey ladder stand by the cedars where I moved it after Dave found that spot.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It takes the deer a couple of years to figure out that turnips are good to eat, and then they go crazy on them. Down in Missouri they use a lot of turnips, clover, and winter wheat for their food plots. I don't know how any of those handle the limited sunlight they'd get up your way, but it might be worth asking about.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
https://forums.cabelas.com/showthread.php?t=12514

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/food-plots/1651-food-plot-woods.html

Just did a quick search for big woods food plots. These threads might be good for some ideas.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ND

Do you have any water on that property?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by tzone

A couple of deer stand views from yesterday morning.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave,

Where are those shots from? Is that the new spot you and Ryan set up in?

Tom, those photos are taken from that little ladder stand at the east end of the clear cut you set your ladder stand up on.

First pic is looking west towards your stand and the 2nd is looking south towards that logging landing where Ryan parked his car.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 22WRF
ND

Do you have any water on that property?

Lots of water.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I worked on the plow truck last night, got the floors patched up better, put a seat in the truck, hung some doors on it, mirrors, hood latch. Then drug the plow blade in the shop and did some blacksmithing on that old bugger, repaired the trip pivot. I hung the blade on the truck and plowed the driveway last night.

I still have to swap the boxes but it's fuctional as a plow truck again. Good thing too because it snowed all night and we have more coming, could be a lot more.

Temp is -5 here this morning.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Temp is -5 here this morning.

eek

I'm not ready for that yet! I know it's cold here, I heard the furnace kick on in the garage. It doesn't usually do that unless its real cold. I only keep the garage at 40. We barely got a dusting of snow here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
got more snow last night, I'd say 6" the last day or so, chilly but calm this morning, not sure of the temp but its around 0 or in the single digits.
what about corn Dave? it would stay above the snow and provide feed for them after we get lots of snow, just a thought.
you could plant a pumpkin garden right by camp, wouldn't look like anything but a garden from above

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just went out and started my truck for my 45 second commute to work.

Temp was +8.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its too early for this chit!

got a call out of the blue by my best friend from high school, invited me down for muzzle loader weekend after opener, I haven't hunted with him in probably 10 years, I might not make it up north then

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I talked to mom lastnight and they got about a foot of snow. We only got about 4 inches so far. Sounds like another storm is going to move in tomorrow and Thursday.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
perfect driving weather, my ma put in an order for wild rice when I go out to colorado, anyone know where to get the best stuff? or to buy in bulk?

Page 538 of 1,842 1 2 536 537 538 539 540 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 24 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,286
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.