Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Planning on building a lightweight .223AI and am trying to decide on a stock. An Edge would be nice but I'm going to try a cheaper alternative. Looking at Bansner or Wildcat composites.

Anyone have either of these stocks? How is the grip shape/size. I really like the McM Mtn rifle grip, are these close to this or more open like the TI stocks?

Where all the white women at?
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a Bansner on my 700 long action. It saved about 1.5lbs off a beautiful walnut stock and is great for all weather heavy hunting. Now I am thinking of going back to the walnut for purely aesthetic reasons. I just like the look and feel of wood over plastic. I'm a little strange in other ways, just ask my Wife.

Bottom line is I'd like to sell the Bansner. PM me if interested.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ti

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 2 bansners/hitech specialties. No problems.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the offer but I need a short action stock.

IC B2

C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
You saying the grip is similiar to the TI or to use a TI stock?

I think I'd spend the money for an McM Edge before I got a TI. I just can't like the grip at all. It's to open and thick for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
An Edge built and shipped to my door is $518 and will bolt right to the rifle, ready to shoot. I have used Brown Precision and Garrett in the past.(think 25-30 years ago.) No experience with any of the other brands. But at the time the other brands required the services of a gunsmith, or a lot of finish and fitting work by me.

I've also played around a bit with HS and B&C. They are significantly cheaper and do pretty much bolt onto the gun, but neither offer a really light stock.

What price range are we looking at with Bansner? Do they come ready to bolt on the rifle like McMillan, or do you have to do a lot of finish work? Just asking. Trying to decide if they are any better value than McMillan.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the bansner is a good deal if you can roll up your own finish work and pad install as you can order it and finish it in a week smile

if you take the hours invested on finishing a bansner and convert them to some overtime pay it may look like this:

$518 for mcmillan. drop in. done. months wait

$265 for bansner.
$ 25 materials for finish
$ 30 pad
$100+ in overtime pay
------

your easily within' a c'note of a mcmillan. probably much less if you really get down to it. the biggest hurdle in your decision would be time considerations..

JMO but if i had the time i would roll with a mcm..

woofer

Last edited by woofer; 11/25/10.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by woofer
if you take the hours invested on finishing a bansner and convert them to some overtime pay it may look like this:

$100+ in overtime pay

Maybe, but....

Are you taking time off from something where you actually WOULD be making overtime (or even straight) pay? If not, it's not a valid argument.

I don't get paid to reload, or mount my scopes, or anything else. I do it on my own (unpaid) time, where I'd be working around the house, cutting the grass, washing the truck, or whatever, anyway. My "free" time is just that, free. And I happen to enjoy spending some of it on gun related stuff. wink

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i do too but he was comparing the "cheaper" of the two. IF he had the chance to work some OT he could get the mcm for similar money. i like doin' my own. i think most should at least try it once... but, if you have never bedded a rifle or finished a pad it could turn out to be not what you want and a big disappointment, especially on a custom.

rolling up a custom and learning stock prep and finish 101 at the same time may not fly... i for one would like some practice on some pieces that i have nothing invested in first... JMO....

i cant afford 5 bills for a stock. $250 i can and would do 100% of the time. like the TI's a bunch for even less.... bed and fly..

woofer
woofer

MtnHtr
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I dont think your going to get away with a wildcat for less that a Mcmillan, I may be wrong there, but they are not to much cheaper, and some models are more $$. They make an awsome lightwieght stock and they are VERY well built.
A summit ultra light is going on my next rifle!

Somewhere, there is a village missing its idiot!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look at the MPI banks, they are available in ultra lightweights

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by chris84
Planning on building a lightweight .223AI and am trying to decide on a stock. An Edge would be nice but I'm going to try a cheaper alternative. Looking at Bansner or Wildcat composites.

Anyone have either of these stocks? How is the grip shape/size. I really like the McM Mtn rifle grip, are these close to this or more open like the TI stocks?

This is my lwt 223AI..
[Linked Image]

SS Rem 700
Rifle Basix Trigger
#1 Lilja 1" Shank. 23" Barrel 1-8 Twist. 3 groove.
McM Edge in MR
Modified Mag box for 75 Amax
Lwts
6x42

Perfection, IMO.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Wildcat stock on my .280AI,it is a first class stock but unless you do all the finish work yourself(just like a Bansner) you may as well plunk down the cash for a McMillan.While that's probably what I'll do I will also be looking at Robertson Composite stocks,another Canadian company.They are big in F class stocks but are starting to offer hunting stocks.Unfortunately for our friends in the States right now there are no huge savings on exchange on Canadian stocks,the two dollars are very close to par. Monashee

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by woofer

$518 for mcmillan. drop in. done. months wait

$265 for bansner.
$ 25 materials for finish
$ 30 pad
$100+ in overtime pay
------

your easily within' a c'note of a mcmillan. probably much less if you really get down to it. the biggest hurdle in your decision would be time considerations..

JMO but if i had the time i would roll with a mcm..

woofer

No wait for some McMillans just buy here:

JW Precision

I just bought an HTG RH in Forest Camo yesterday, for my Rem 700 HB Varmint in 7mm-08. It will be delivered next week.

Bob

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Bansners on my LA M700. I needed to do way more work than I expected to the action and bottom metal inletting to get everything flush. I purchased a VLP spray gun, hose, pressure guage, filters etc, to paint it (I already had a compressor), purchased paint, thinner, etc from Arma-coat and then spent more time getting it all right. On top of it, the front sling stud was and still is slightly off center. I bet I didn't save $20 over a McM Edge when its all said and done. It did turn out nice, though I doubt I would go that route again.

Last edited by depopulator; 11/25/10.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
that kinda' sums it up right there.........

woofer

MtnHtr
C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Calvin

This is my lwt 223AI..
[Linked Image]

SS Rem 700
Rifle Basix Trigger
#1 Lilja 1" Shank. 23" Barrel 1-8 Twist. 3 groove.
McM Edge in MR
Modified Mag box for 75 Amax
Lwts
6x42

Perfection, IMO.

Nice, Calvin. What's it weigh in at? That's real similiar to what I was planning.

C
chris84 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not worried about the work to finish it. I have no problem running a rattle can for paint.

What I really want to know is what is the grip shape like. Anyone got a McM & a Bansner or Wildcat they can compare & maybe take some photos?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not for nothing but for just a tad more than a micky you could just send the barreled action to Mark B. and he'll do it all for you and give it a paint job too. Pretty much all comes down to how deep is your pocket and how handy you are at that stuff. I pretty much suck at it , so you know what boat I'm in .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 62 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.