-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Daughters first deer. Ruger M77MKII All-weather .223 with Ultramax 55 grain SoftPoints. 144 yard lung shot.

[Linked Image]

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
GB1

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Georgia Boy, my son's rifle I've been using has a 1-9 twist and shoots it great. I've talked to Nosler techs however and they assure me the bullet will shoot in a 1-12. If you plug the length of the bullet into some of the online twist calculators it comes up as 1-11.5 as optimum.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KodiakHntr
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
KH,
What's the bullet?

Pete

Pete, that'd be the tiniest TSX....45gr's. Moly'd, inserted ala 223AI at 161 yards. Both fronts punched, top of the heart, and a lung. Didn't go far.

My 1 in 12 twisted barrel won't spin the 53's to my satisfaction. Best I've done with the 53's so far is about 1.5" groups, while the 45's shoot itty-bitty bugholes. I prefer precision....And results.

Like this:
[Linked Image]

At first I thought it was one of those "Blue Pills" Barnes used to make. Thanks for the info.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No problem.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang...all I have is .233 hog pics.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Winnie,

Good on you for joining the service. There is tremendous deer hunting on many installations and I am sure all of them in Alabama will offer some opportunities. They won't let you use your service rifle though. You'll have to bring your own rifle or shotgun and you may have to store it in the armory. Checking it out will probably be a pain in the azz. You would probably do well to store it with a friend who lives off base. Also, lots of bases offer really good bow hunting so you might consider that. I was able to keep my bow in my room in a case, but you will just have to find out what the rules are for wherever you will be stationed. What is your MOS going to be?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not know yet for sure.

I either would like to be airborne or infantry.

Who knows? When I talk to a recruiter next year I hope to have it figured out.

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
LT, heck lets some some hog pics too...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

See the tiny .223 TSX in the off shoulder?

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kecatt
Daughters first deer. Ruger M77MKII All-weather .223 with Ultramax 55 grain SoftPoints. 144 yard lung shot.

[Linked Image]

Cute picture, she looks happy. Great job! BSA.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Kecatt, congratulations to you and your daughter...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I finally got to try out my Remington LTR and the 53gr TSX averaging 3,300fps from my 20" bbl. The small buck was about 70yds broadside, he made it about 15yds before giving up the ghost. I'm pretty impressed with the performance, now if I can just catch one. grin

[Linked Image]

Exit
[Linked Image]

The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies is lunch.
- Michael Friedman

L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Tn, good luck catching one. I finally had to shoot a Partition into 5 milk jugs of water taped together. Picture perfect mushroom...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those interested, here is the bullet recovered from the deer pic I posted earlier in the thread. It came to rest under the skin of the off side.
55 grain Ultramax out of a 223 144 yard lung shot.
It weighed 41 grains.
[Linked Image]

I don't eat anything that didn't have a mother.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here are a few...

60 Grain Nosler Partition - broke near shoulder and exited behind the off shoulder.

[Linked Image]

60 Partitions - through both shoulders and clipped spine - DRT, obviously...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exit...you don't have to hit them as high as many think for that DRT shoulder shot...

[Linked Image] [quote][/quote]

Oldest son's first deer, taken when he was just 4...almost 5, but still just 4...grin. Same deal - busted both shoulders with a 60 Partition.

[Linked Image]

Amazing what one box of fairly cheap Black Hills reman. 60 Partitions has done...and we're still killing stuff with the same box...of course there was 50 rounds in there...

Got a bunch more pics of kiddos with 223 killed deer when I can get time to rustle them up...

DJ

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'll have to figure out how to post a link to this thread for the next idiot that says you shouldnt be using a centerfire .22 on deer...

Premium boolits have definitely changed the rules.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Premium boolits have definitely changed the rules.....

In all honesty, I don't think premiums (as in new super premiums) have changed the rules all that much. The good ol Win power points and other standard soft points did well for deer and antelope when I first was of age to hunt in the 90s. I killed a few pronghorns and deer back in high school with a .22-250 and had similar results to those pics posted above. Soft points at 223 velocities may have been different. I don't know.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You might have a point..theres regular SPs out there alot of the guys here like you and Dober have tried, that I have not...He swears by the 63 gr. Sierra and I see LOTS of guys liking that Win.64 grain PP..Ive never killed a head of game with either.Back in the day I used the 60 gr. horns and 60 gr. nosler solid base the most..never had anything get out from in front of either one...
I'm just a premium boolit slut...truth be known...I wish swift A-Frame made a .22.... whistle

Yes..I have tasted the kool-aid... grin

Last edited by ingwe; 11/30/10.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
LBP Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
DJ, I remember seeing your pics of the youngest boy with his first deer a few days ago Congratulations. I've used the Partitions the last 2 years with the same results on our little Central Texas deer. I have not even used another rifle since I started using the 223 and can't see where I'm giving up anything, except noise and recoil... grin

Ingwe, thats a great idea about posting a link for Naysayers... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I'm just a premium boolit slut...truth be known...I wish swift A-Frame made a .22.... whistle

Yes..I have tasted the kool-aid... grin

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Their obviously very lethal based on the pics you have posted.
An A-Frame in .224 would perk my interest too.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 40 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.