-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
A friend of mine owns an old 38-55 with an octagon barrel and she is interested in finding out what it might be worth. To my uneducated eye it appears to be in near pristine condition and, as an aside, she killed a bear with it a few years back if that answers any question as to its condition. Could anyone out there offer me an estimate on this one? It is a rifle, not a carbine though I do not know exactly how long the barrel is.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Welcome to the Campfire. You are going to need to provide more details and pictures would be of great help to anyone knowledgeable of this type of firearm.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
LN,
Winchester rifles in the model 94 vary quite a bit, but in order to be a genuine rifle, the weapon must be free of barrel bands.
Assuming that it is indeed a true rifle, then it is either a pre-war model, or a limited edition post '64.
If the rifle in question is a pre-war, and in excellent condition, then it could fetch somewhere in the area of $1,000-$1,500.
If the weapon is a post '64 ltd., then it will fetch considerably less.
I am aware that some sellers are working overtime to drive up prices, but few of them will give more than 50% on any item they purchase for resale. Actual retail price, or what something is "worth", is not truly an absolute value in monetary terms.
Either pre-war, or post '64, it seems the rifle passes its most important test-it is still deadly.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank-you for the reply Mak.
When I said it is a "rifle, not a carbine" that statement was based strictly upon the barrel length which I can attest is quite a bit over the twenty inches I am familiar with in carbines. Therefore, I certainly appreciate you offering an explanation as to the "barrel band" characteristic and how it features in defining the rifle/carbine question. I was only introduced to this rifle once and so, will have to go back and research this one a little more.
My friend received this rifle from her father and I am almost dead certain it predates 1940. I have already advised her that I would never sell something like that (it seems that special to me) and would try to make sure it stays in her family but not everyone is as sentimental as I am over such things. Thanks again and I hope you are still available when I can ask a more informed question over this rifle. I might be a while in getting back.

L
OP Offline
L
Thank-you Elk Hunter:
Pictures are very unlikely mostly due to my own losing race with the technological world (barely understand cameras and now I hear some people are linking them up with their computers).
As for details: very smooth action and rear sights I have never seen before. They seem to describe a large and too spacious "U" rather than a snug and close hugging "V" that forces the front sight into the middle of the sight picture and will not allow it to stray too far from centre. I have talked to others who say this sight is actuallly far more effective than first impressions indicate.
Also, the barrel is quite long but I am going to try to be more specific very soon. It is definitely longer than the 20 inches I am familiar with in '94 Win carbines.
Thanks again and I'll get back ASAP.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless it was a special order the fact that it is an octagon barrel in that caliber leads one to believe it is an early 1894 Rifle with barrel length of 26 inches. The sight you describe is standard for that model. It should have a crescent metal buttplate and marked Model of 1894 on the tang behind the hammer. When you say pristine, how much bluing is on the rifle, are there any cracks in the wood and has the wood been refinished? These are all things that matter in condition. The base price of the rifle if in Gray/Refinished condition could be $600-$900 or if in better condition because of the caliber as much as a couple grand. Photos or more details would help a lot. Ryan

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.