Print Thread
Hop To
#4633638 11/26/10
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thinking about getting a AR but I got two problems. One i'm lefthanded second I don't know anything about ARs. I see Stagg Arms build a lefthand AR, are the Staggs good?

Thanks

Last edited by joecool544; 11/26/10.
GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I shoot Lefty. I shoot standard ARs FINE.

The LH stag is cool, but that is it.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm a southpaw too, and shoot RH AR15s. No problem.

The safety, charging handle, and bolt release, are all very easy to use.

a LH AR might be kinda nice for someone starting out. I'd have to retrain myself because all the RH controls are muscle memory now.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by BMT

The LH stag is cool, but that is it.

BMT

Can you explain as to why? like I said I really don't know anything about the ARs

Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought my two left handed kids Stag uppers years ago. They love them, but lots of us have shot them right handed too with no problems. I even went to Thunder Ranch shooting the LH Stag right handed. It really is a non issue with the AR platform. Both kids shoot my BLR too without trouble. Bolt guns are different.

Stag makes a very good product by the way.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stag is fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree with Montanamarine, and the other posts so far. I am a lefty, and have owned/shot right handed AR's for years with no issues. The brass deflecting block keeps gasses/brass out of your face, and all the "controls" are pretty much Ambi. anyway. The only thing I change is a ambi. safety selector, which makes the safety accessible from both sides of the weapon.
I did buy a Stag 16" left handed AR-15 upper about a year ago, and find it well made. The main difference is the brass is thrown to the left, and the ejector door is upside-down. I would feel comfortable with either a left or right handed AR.
As a side, the most UNFRIENDLY military rifle for leftys IMO is the M1 carbine. It could have been the old military surplus ammo, but I made the mistake of firing off a 20 or 30 rd mag from my buddies (shooting left handed), and I couldn't make it 1/2 way through the mag. for all the dirt/gasses that were spitting out in my face.... YUK!
Good Luck! -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm lefty and thought I needed a lefty...

Shot my Dads DPMS sportical and quickly learned that all I need is a brass deflector! Brass to the grill...good thing I was wearing glasses...

D
D
I have both left hand Stag & DPMS uppers that I have built up. Don't really have a preference for either, they're both fine, and preferred by me to a righty.
Can't say I have noticed a difference between them as far as functionality.
I'd say get a lefty, if you don't find what you want on the shelf, find someone to help you get the right pieces and put one together.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stag arms is also a US military supplier (of RH STUFF, but still....) so thier quality is excellent, and you will be well-pleased

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Does anyone make a mirror image left hand AR?

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
CMT, Stag's parent company supplies some small parts to the US military, but you won't find any US military contracts for rifles awarded to Stag. Being a supplier of small parts is different than being a supplier of complete rifles. Bolts and receiver extensions are two prime examples of products that CMT supplies while barrels are not. Supplying a complete rifle to meet the requirements of the TDP is substantially different compared to supplying parts.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Very well put.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,215
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.