Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I had a Thrombosis (Ischemic) stroke November 10 looks like everything works just fine. It really got me thinking I am 56 years old do not have high cholesterol or high blood pressure not over weight. So it took me by surprise. I have been reading up on the computer on the different kinds and reasons for stroke. The doctor said I need to take it easy for 3 months, no shooting or backpacking or strenuous activities.

Was wondering if others here on the fire have been through this and what your advice or thoughts were.

Thank you for your time.
Mike

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
kh0llnl ewdcb!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yep, 7 years ago I had a TIA, mini stroke, after taking pseudoephredrine for a sinus headache. Spent 2days in the hospital. I was 52 at the time. No history of high BP or cholesterol, but the pseudoepinepherine in this drug caused a vasospasm and I was down for the count. Spent the next 5 years on ASA per day to prevent blood clots, when that really wasn't the cause. Its an eye opener. Best thing is to stay active and keep cholesterol count down. I had no lasting deficits, but it was scarey as hell.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by bearmgc
Yep, 7 years ago I had a TIA, mini stroke, after taking pseudoephredrine for a sinus headache. Spent 2days in the hospital. I was 52 at the time. No history of high BP or cholesterol, but the pseudoepinepherine in this drug caused a vasospasm and I was down for the count. Spent the next 5 years on ASA per day to prevent blood clots, when that really wasn't the cause. Its an eye opener. Best thing is to stay active and keep cholesterol count down. I had no lasting deficits, but it was scarey as hell.

I had a TIA while sitting in this ( work ) chair, two years ago, between Christmas and New Years.

I knew it was a stroke, but it was like, on and off. I drove myself to the ER ( not recomended )

And then spent two days in testing.
Turned out to be "pooling of the pons"
and they put me on thinners.
Scary.. I know. If you can't have an equal smile, or speak clearly, raise your hands to the same height?
call 911 or get someone to haul you to an ER NOW>

My brother was paralised and eventually died from a stroke.

Don't phug around with it like I did.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I had a CAT scan a few years ago and was told that I must have had a small stroke at some time. Don't know when it could have been.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a stenosis in my left vertebral artery where it intersects my subclavian artery a little over ten years ago. They got me to the Lady of Lourdes hospital in Lafayette, LA within 30 minutes or so and gave me a shot of a new drug called 'clot buster'. In less than an hour I was walking and talking.

While I was in the ER I was what they referred to as being 'locked in'. I could hear and understand everything. I could have told you how to chamber a barrel except that I couldn't move a muscle. I could only blink my eyes. I answered the doctor by blinking once for 'yes' and twice for 'no'.

Had a stent put in and have been on Plavix ever since. They could not get coumidin regulated with me for some reason. Plavix works fine.

While it was coming on I knew what was happening and told Billy Stevens (we were at a benchrest match) that I either had inner ear trouble or was having a stroke.

The doctor told me that I didn't have a stroke since there was no permanent damage but I still refer to it as a stroke. The doctor told me that it was worse than being a veggie because I was aware of everything.

Throughout the whole ordeal I never felt the slightest twinge of fear. Personally, I attribute that to my faith, not inner courage.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah! I had one the day the AZZHOLE in the White House was elected by the 53% of IDIOTS that put him there.....along with a case of the SUPREME CHITS!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very scary experience. I'm sure I could not have reacted as well as you did. At almost 70 one of my concerns. Had a aunt that had a stroke in West Virginia & little was done at the hospital until too late. Her daughter disregarded the doctors advise & put the poor thing on a feeding tube for almost 2 years. I went to the hospital since there was no other family, but my cousin didn't ask for advise. With my living will I have made sure that when its time to go I'm not keep alive on machines.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I remember your episode Mickey. I think you were a lucky man.
In August my BP went down to 50 over 30 and I passed out. I have been on BP medicine for about 15yrs. I am now off BP medicine. The only thing they found after many many test was that in the past I must have had a stroke. I am on coumidin[rat poison. My last scan said everything looks good. I will have another in another 90 days. Neurologist said she is seeing no problems at this time. The only problem with the rat poison is I can lean up against something and it leaves a bruise or a cut. It takes a week for a small cut to quite bleeding.
It is hell getting old.
Butch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
In August my BP went down to 50 over 30 and I passed out. I have been on BP medicine for about 15yrs. I am now off BP medicine. The only thing they found after many many test was that in the past I must have had a stroke. I am on coumidin[rat poison. My last scan said everything looks good. I will have another in another 90 days. Neurologist said she is seeing no problems at this time. The only problem with the rat poison is I can lean up against something and it leaves a bruise or a cut. It takes a week for a small cut to quite bleeding.
It is hell getting old.
Butch

Butch, I take 75mg of Plavix and a lo-dose aspirin every morning. If a mosquito bites me I almost have to apply a pressure bandage or a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. I can brush up against something with my arm and have a big purple bruise for a week. For some reason the blood doesn't flow to my nether regions very well but I discovered that sex is way overrated anyway. smile

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes.Two actually, but no adverse effects to date..And I give no advice on that subject.Lot's of mini strokes according to the MRI but life goes on.

Good luck to you sir.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I feel both your pain. 15mg coumadin a day since I had my pulmonary embolisms. I am one of the unfortunate people that have the side effect of joint pain from the blood thinners. Once I pry myself out of the bed every morning I have to keep moving until bed time. If I get still too long I just lock up. Kinda makes deer hunting a real pain.

Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It is hell getting old.
Butch

Butch, I take 75mg of Plavix and a lo-dose aspirin every morning. If a mosquito bites me I almost have to apply a pressure bandage or a tourniquet to stop the bleeding. I can brush up against something with my arm and have a big purple bruise for a week. For some reason the blood doesn't flow to my nether regions very well but I discovered that sex is way overrated anyway. smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Your damned if you do and damned if you don't.I have been life flighted to Boise Idaho and Spokane Washington with two different approaches to the problem.Took the Plavix and others and the other DR says different.

I have no clue who is right other than I am still breathing.Get at least a second if not third opinion on your case.

Jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I really hate to say this, but if you look at Alzheimer's victims, MANY of them have had strokes or otherwise lost blood pressure to the brain at some time in the past. That happened to my father after he had a couple strokes so small that he didn't even know he had them until later. Then there was Pres. Reagan who collapsed in the hospital lobby with no detectable blood pressure.
I don't know if there's any correlation, but it's worth checking out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one about 15 months ago. Partial paralysis one the left side has curtailed many of my outdoor interests as well as a loss of balance.

From time to time I go off on a feel sorry for myself kick but that passes because I know it could have been much worse and that I'm really very lucky.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The only time I have a stroke is when I get an email from Les.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys, this thing kind of scared the pudding out of me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And well it should! Had a stroke a year ago the 18th of this month(Dec.). I'd suffered from TIAs in the past and was on coumadin daily. There was a mix-up(?) with my prescription and I was without the med for 3 days. Suffered the stoke which wiped out my rt. side. Still have no real functional use of rt arm, hand ,or leg. Bummer for a rt handed shooter. Moral of my story is always seek immediate medical help for any stroke symptoms and be damn diligent in your diet and especially your meds. This is NO PICNIC!!

Time has come for the U.S. to be proactive instead of reactive to those who would kill us !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 17,930 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,891
Posts18,538,544
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.