Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am wanting to buy a gun from here. It is an individual shipping to a FFL. My FFL will accept via UPS or FED EX from an individual. The seller wants a copy of the FFL (My FFL will not give out a copy to an individual?) Is this uncommon? Is this even needed from the FFL as I beleive when you ship UPS you declare it as a firearm and they can only deliver to an FFL and need a proof of the FFL when delivered? Also the individual wants a copy of my drivers license for his records. I am unwilling to do this as I feel to give this to an individual it has too much info?? They want to know who they are selling to? Maybe Face to face but since shipping why would I provide since I have to complete teh firearm forms for my FFL? Am I being difficult? To ship from an FFL he want another $25 and at that point its not a deal to me and he still wants my DL.

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As a side not they would be shipping to a known Sporting goods store

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pete, I would talk directly to Fed-Ex and UPS about this matter. It is always best to get it directly from the shipper to keep yourself out of trouble.

Just my .02 worth.

Tony.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
1. The seller is transferring the gun to your FFL dealer, not you. There is no reason for him to have your DL.
2. Find a new FFL dealer, there is no reason not to hand the licenses out.
3. I don't know about shipping, but I'm pretty sure an individual can ship a firearm to a dealer so long as they use UPS or Fedex.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pete,

Talk to Priscilla at Yellowstone gateway. She will accept from an individual.

It will cost $20 on the transfer though.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A individual can ship a rifle usps,If his dealer was shipping you the rifle it would be common for the dealer to ask for a copy of your drivers license and a copy of the FFL.See if your FFL will give you his FFL # for the easy look up. Then he could verify he is sending it to a dealer.

1 and done
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good idea on teh FFL#

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by highridge1
A individual can ship a rifle usps,If his dealer was shipping you the rifle it would be common for the dealer to ask for a copy of your drivers license and a copy of the FFL.See if your FFL will give you his FFL # for the easy look up. Then he could verify he is sending it to a dealer.

============================================

You 'really' do not need a copy of his FFL...period!

"See if your FFL will give you his FFL #"...all the number's you need are: 1 set, 2nd set and the last Five. then go here and validate: https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/ Once validated mail to the address on FFL...

YOUR BEST ADVICE: GET ANOTHER FFL...definetly not the one you mentioned.

A $20 transfer fee is gosh darn reasonable considering that too many FFL holders are scalpers in this regard!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most dealer's will demand a copy if they ship the rifle for you.Most there is no exception to this rule.Nothing wrong with a private person wanting a copy to make sure they follow the law...

1 and done
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete_E
I am wanting to buy a gun from here. It is an individual shipping to a FFL. My FFL will accept via UPS or FED EX from an individual. The seller wants a copy of the FFL (My FFL will not give out a copy to an individual?) Is this uncommon? Is this even needed from the FFL as I beleive when you ship UPS you declare it as a firearm and they can only deliver to an FFL and need a proof of the FFL when delivered? Also the individual wants a copy of my drivers license for his records. I am unwilling to do this as I feel to give this to an individual it has too much info?? They want to know who they are selling to? Maybe Face to face but since shipping why would I provide since I have to complete teh firearm forms for my FFL? Am I being difficult? To ship from an FFL he want another $25 and at that point its not a deal to me and he still wants my DL.

Your FFL won't give a copy of his FFL he's forcing you to do an FFL to FFL transaction and add $25 plus to your cost. Find a new FFL. That cost my last FFL a ton of business.

NRA Lifetime Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
gunisemptyohno is correct. Run the numbers and make sure the FFL is valid and up to date. I like to call the receiving FFL just to confirm they are aware of the shipment and make sure of the delivery address. Normally I will ship to only the address listed with the ATF though that is not an absolute requirement as some FFL holders have a separate receiving address. And as a previous poster mentioned, the seller is consigning the firearm to your dealer not to you. I have provided my DL to a dealer receiving the firearm but not to an individual non-FFL seller. And $20 bucks is about the going rate though I've seen it up to $40. Good luck.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete_E
FFL holders are NOT required to provide a copy of their license to anyone but another FFL holder. The seller in this case appears to be an unlicensed individual; i.e. someone who does NOT possess an FFL. His only responsibility is to take reasonable steps to ensure he is shipping to a valid FFL holder. He can do that via E-Z check on the BATFE's website.

No, f*cking UPS does not require a copy of someone's FFL as a condition of shipment.

But for this other nonsense about requiring a copy of your driver's license and the other bullshit the seller has told you, tell him to pull his head out of his ass and ship the damned gun.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Pete,

I've received numerous firearms in Montana using two different FFL's. I've never had a problem with either of them. Both have given me signed copies of their FFL to use for shipment of the firearm. How else can the shipper be assured that he is shipping to a legitimate FFL holder? I agree that you should find another FFL holder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rockburner
I've received numerous firearms in Montana using two different FFL's. I've never had a problem with either of them. Both have given me signed copies of their FFL to use for shipment of the firearm. How else can the shipper be assured that he is shipping to a legitimate FFL holder?
FOR THE UMPTEENTH F*CKING TIME, YOU USE THE BATFE'S E-Z CHECK SYSTEM IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER.

When was the last time Ruger, Remington, Winchester, Kimber, etc. gave you a copy of THEIR FFL when you decided to return a firearm? Jesus H. Christ, quit repeating that ignorant BULLSHIT.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like Bricktop needs a nap!! :-)

Is there a doubt that Winchester, Remington, etc are legitimate gun dealers?? In order to "check out" the FFL you are shipping to, how else do you get their FFL number?

Last edited by Rockburner; 11/29/10.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
As long as you know it is going to an FFL, it's not your problem to get a signed copy. I just look it up on the website. Some stores like Sportsman's Warehouse won't accept private gun sales, and are dicks about it being shipped only from another FFL. Found that out after I had a gun waiting there, and they wouldn't release it to me. I told them I was going to call the ATF and let them sort it out, since they were holding my gun hostage. They did the transfer...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just logged on to this post to be sure Bricktop was on duty!

If the FFL holder is making you jump through unreasonable hoops go to Gun Broker they list FFLs and thier charges. I was fortunate to find the one I use. He follows the law but is reasonable. I pay 15 bucks in or out(when I ship hand guns)

I am cool with that

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rockburner
Sounds like Bricktop needs a nap!! :-)

Is there a doubt that Winchester, Remington, etc are legitimate gun dealers?? In order to "check out" the FFL you are shipping to, how else do you get their FFL number?
Every hear of email? Telephone? You also need to pay attention that the intended recipient -- the FFL holder -- is a well-known sporting goods store. This doesn't need to be complicated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatboy

If the FFL holder is making you jump through unreasonable hoops go to Gun Broker they list FFLs and thier charges. I was fortunate to find the one I use. He follows the law but is reasonable. I pay 15 bucks in or out(when I ship hand guns)

I am cool with that

Hank
I don't see anywhere in the original poster's story that the receiving FFL was causing any difficulty other than refusing to relinquish a copy of his FFL to a non-licensee which is COMPLETELY reasonable.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by boatboy

I am cool with that

Hank
I don't see anywhere in the original poster's story that the receiving FFL was causing any difficulty other than refusing to relinquish a copy of his FFL to a non-licensee which is COMPLETELY reasonable.

The local UPS center that I have shipped many guns out of likes to see a signed copy of the receiving FFL holder license before we put it in the box and seal up for shipment. They also print out the label with the FFL holders addy to affix to package. This is sending from a non FFL holder to a licenced FFL holder.
All of the licenced FFL holders that I have dealt with have requested a copy of my DL to accompany shipment of gun.

Hunt smart, hunt safe
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 68 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,087
Posts18,482,855
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.