Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Did a search function for 1911 and really enjoyed the Out of the Box 1911 thread but didn't quite find all the info I am looking for. I am interested in the 1911 platform and like the more basic of models (aesthetics only) and had been looking at the Springfield GI or MilSpec. I have heard some folks say the Springfields have many MIM parts therefore inferior out of the box, one person even went so far as to say that Springfield slides have a tenency to crack. I can't substantiate these claims and take them with a grain of salt. Has anyone heard of this? This thread could turn into a Ford vs. Chevy debate - for that I apologize. Just looking for a basic, solid and reliable 1911 that doesn't require an immediate trip to the smith to make it work.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Springfield is a good gun and for basic the RIA/Armscore guns are great value.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have owned several basic 45's and find that I always end up having them 'smithed some. I cannot shoot a 45 without a beavertail grip safety unless I want to bleed all over my new gun so that is problem 1 for me, but I hate bad triggers and hard to see sights etc. so my advice is spend a tad more and get a 'basic' 45 that has more of the stuff we usually pay a 'smith to do. The Taurus model comes immediately to mind. Lots of good ones out there. A used Kimber is not much more money than some of the basic 45's out there at retail. For a couple hundred more, you have a really good 45 then. My /02 FWIW.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot IPSC for a long time, back in the '80s and '90s. That's a tough game on pistols, and I never saw a SA crack a slide or a frame. They are tough pistols. I HAVE seen the older two-piece barrels come apart, on one example, but not on scads of others.The last couple of examples I looked at, didn't have the two piece barrels. (You can tell it's a two-piece by looking at the exposed portion of the barrel in the ejection port. If it's one of the brazed barrels, you'll see the line just behind the front of the port.)

At the time, a smith told me the internal parts were only surface-hardened, and wouldn't take a trigger job very well, they'd get sloppy after a couple hundred rounds. I suspect that issue was addressed a long time ago. I would NOT be afraid to buy one nowadays.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
That's good info guys thanks. There's so many options, models, makes, etc. out there. I like the aesthetics to the GI (my grandfather and father both carried one in the service so it's a bit of nostalgia for me)but with that being said, function and shootability have to count for something too. I know regardless, I would need to add a beavertail grip safety. And from there it's the sky's the limit sort of thing. Go traditional or go all out. I do like the options/modifications the 1911 platform has to offer.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Springfield makes a pretty darn good 1911. I would take any model any day over any Kimber series II. I know I will get flogged for that one but Schwartz safeties and plastic MSH just don't do it for me. No I don't like the ILS on the springers either but that was a easy replacement.

I ran about a thousand rounds through my springer loaded then decided what I wanted to have done to it. Off to the Springfield custom shop it went.

The GI models are a great basic 1911 but if you want just a few more features you may want to step up to the loaded. I have only owned Kimber's and Springfield's so I cant comment on the others.

The really nice thing about Springfield is there customer service is about at good as it gets.

Here is a pic of my springer fresh from the custom shop.
[Linked Image]

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kenaiking
Springfield makes a pretty darn good 1911. I would take any model any day over any Kimber series II. I know I will get flogged for that one but Schwartz safeties and plastic MSH just don't do it for me. No I don't like the ILS on the springers either but that was a easy replacement.

I ran about a thousand rounds through my springer loaded then decided what I wanted to have done to it. Off to the Springfield custom shop it went.

The GI models are a great basic 1911 but if you want just a few more features you may want to step up to the loaded. I have only owned Kimber's and Springfield's so I cant comment on the others.

The really nice thing about Springfield is there customer service is about at good as it gets.

Here is a pic of my springer fresh from the custom shop.
[Linked Image]

+1 That's all consistent with my experience with Springfields too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by archer
Did a search function for 1911 and really enjoyed the Out of the Box 1911 thread but didn't quite find all the info I am looking for. I am interested in the 1911 platform and like the more basic of models (aesthetics only) and had been looking at the Springfield GI or MilSpec. I have heard some folks say the Springfields have many MIM parts therefore inferior out of the box, one person even went so far as to say that Springfield slides have a tenency to crack. I can't substantiate these claims and take them with a grain of salt. Has anyone heard of this? This thread could turn into a Ford vs. Chevy debate - for that I apologize. Just looking for a basic, solid and reliable 1911 that doesn't require an immediate trip to the smith to make it work.
I'll make no claims to being a Springfield 1911 expert. I've owned three or four of them including my current 1911. I've never known one to break in any way or for any reason.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I'll make no claims to being a Springfield 1911 expert. I've owned three or four of them including my current 1911. I've never known one to break in any way or for any reason.
Same here. I've had three or four, and only one needed to be sent back for reliability issues, but once squared away by the 'smiths at Springfield (extractor tune and polish), it's been 100% since.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know I am about to get blasted for this, and for the record I would much prefer, and own, more upscale 1911's but......

We had a couple of Norinco basic 1911's in the A1 profile in the gun shop. These were the first ones that they started importing in the early 90's. They worked well from the start with no upgrades or improvments and through several thousand rounds of military ball ammo. I just sold mine off a couple of years ago after well over 6000 rounds down range. It worked well with just routine maintenance as a basic model and they are really afordable. Chances are if you can find a used one it will have been fired enough to work out any kinks? Just a thought.

One of the other surprises in the shop was the 1911 A1 format older Llama pistols. They were good shooters and their slides were made of some of the hardest metal you could imagine. These were not the KBI trash, but the earlier Llamas from the 60's and 70's. If you could find one of these they would serve you well.

If I was on a budget and looking for just a basic 1911 these two would be worth a hard look. The sights are the fixed military sights and not upgradable without a lot of cost but if you can live with that and upgrade the trigger you would have a good functioning basic and more than a few bucks left for ammo, etc.

Bracing for the onslaught. But if you tried these versions of these particular imports you would feel the same.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by fyshbum
I know I am about to get blasted for this, and for the record I would much prefer, and own, more upscale 1911's but......

We had a couple of Norinco basic 1911's in the A1 profile in the gun shop. These were the first ones that they started importing in the early 90's. They worked well from the start with no upgrades or improvemnts and through several thousand rounds of military ball ammo. I just sold mine off a couple of years ago after well over 6000 rounds down range. It worked well with just routine maintenance as a basic model and they are really afordable. Chances are if you can find a used one it will have been fired enough to work out any kinks? Just a thought.

One of the other surprises in the shop was the 1911 A1 format older Llama pistols. They were good shooters and their slides were made of some of the hardest metal you could imagine. These were not the KBI trash, but the earlier Llamas from the 60's and 70's. If you could find one of these they would serve you well.

If I was on a budget and looking for just a basic 1911 these two would be worth a hard look. The sights are the fixed milatary sights and not upgradable without a lot of cost but if you can live with that and upgrade the trigger you would have a good functioning basic and more than a few bucks left for ammo, etc.

Bracing for the onslaught. But if you tried these versions of these particular imports you would feel the same.
The Norincos have a great reputation for working right. Too bad they stopped importing it to the United Stats.

A
archer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Thanks for all the replies. That is really good news on the Springfield front - that was my 1st choice originally then I started hearing rumorville about this problem and that with Springfields so I started looking at Colts and other platforms as well. Definetly a lot to choose from out there. Also, everthing I've heard including the posts here have great and complimentary things to say about Springfield's customer service. That's a big one for me (hopefully would never have to call them though!). Thanks again and feel free to continue posting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I know regardless, I would need to add a beavertail grip safety....

Do you? Or are you just going by what you've read?

If you have very fleshy hands, you may need the beavertail. If not, you may not need one. I have pretty bony hands. My GI-style 1911 did chew into the web of my hand, out of the box. But it wasn't the hammer biting me - it was the trailing edges of the grip safety gradually chewing away. I lightly softened the edges of the grip safety and the problem was gone, even though I grip the gun high against the safety.

OTOH, I have a friend who can't shoot any 1911 that doesn't have a grip beavertail grip safety (including mine) without being immediately bloodied by the hammer. He also gets bit by Hi-Powers with spur hammers.

If you are over forty, you should probably skip past any "GI" model that wears the tiny GI sights. Otherwise, the RIA will do. Personally, I can't see those little sights well enough to use them anymore, and I consider the Springfield Mil-Spec - with it's bigger sights - a very good basic 1911.

I have several handguns from major makers that have MIM internal parts. Not one of those parts has ever failed, and that is with many thousands of rounds downrange from each. I understand it is true that MIM parts can't be filed or stoned for a trigger job - but it with good manufacture (as you can expect from the major makers) is not likely that they will need it for acceptable function. You can always replace them with forged parts if you want to go there.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have heard some folks say the Springfields have many MIM parts therefore inferior out of the box...

Almost every production handgun relies heavily on MIM nowadays, so "Inferior to what?" would be my question. MIM might not be as desirable as forged in terms of craftsmanship, but I don't have any real objection to a quality MIM part.

A cracked frame is what finally kills most 1911's - it's just a matter of round count. Springfields are no exception, but they hold up as well any production pistol.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG
I have heard some folks say the Springfields have many MIM parts therefore inferior out of the box...

Almost every production handgun relies heavily on MIM nowadays, so "Inferior to what?" would be my question. MIM might not be as desirable as forged in terms of craftsmanship, but I don't have any real objection to a quality MIM part.

A cracked frame is what finally kills most 1911's - it's just a matter of round count. Springfields are no exception, but they hold up as well any production pistol.
These days, to avoid MIM parts, you have to spend at least $2,500.00 on a 1911 from a semi-custom maker like Ed Brown or Les Baer.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...I know regardless, I would need to add a beavertail grip safety....

Do you? Or are you just going by what you've read?

If you have very fleshy hands, you may need the beavertail. If not, you may not need one. I have pretty bony hands. My GI-style 1911 did chew into the web of my hand, out of the box. But it wasn't the hammer biting me - it was the trailing edges of the grip safety gradually chewing away. I lightly softened the edges of the grip safety and the problem was gone, even though I grip the gun high against the safety.

OTOH, I have a friend who can't shoot any 1911 that doesn't have a grip beavertail grip safety (including mine) without being immediately bloodied by the hammer. He also gets bit by Hi-Powers with spur hammers.

If you are over forty, you should probably skip past any "GI" model that wears the tiny GI sights. Otherwise, the RIA will do. Personally, I can't see those little sights well enough to use them anymore, and I consider the Springfield Mil-Spec - with it's bigger sights - a very good basic 1911.

I have several handguns from major makers that have MIM internal parts. Not one of those parts has ever failed, and that is with many thousands of rounds downrange from each. I understand it is true that MIM parts can't be filed or stoned for a trigger job - but it with good manufacture (as you can expect from the major makers) is not likely that they will need it for acceptable function. You can always replace them with forged parts if you want to go there.
I used to think I NEEDED a beaver-tail grip safety too. Then I bought a factory original 1960s vintage Colt Government Model. I was reluctant to shoot it before getting the obligatory swap out of the grip safety and hammer, but decided to give it a try. Nothing. No bite at all. Now I wish none of my 1911s had the beaver-tails. Makes for a faster draw from the holster. With the beaver-tail, you have to take a more indirect path to taking a grip. Without the beaver-tail, there is no issue of the beaver-tail interfering with a fast acquisition of a proper grip.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I like the Armscor (the parent company for Charles Daly and Rock Island Armory) It came factory with the skelontonized trigger and hammer, ambi safety, and dovetailed Novak's sights for about $500. The gun smith at that store carries one as his personal weapon. His answer to quality was, "I can have any gun I want. I chose this." Could be like mechanics driving Ford's vs. Chebby's, but hey, it had more factory features for a few bucks more.

When I discovered them, I did my homework and then bought. Very loyal following. The M-1911 forum is a weath of info and they have a factory rep as a regular contributor.

Here are picture's of mine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It had been necessary for him to swallow swords that he might have a better throat for grapes.
Stephen Crane~ The Red Badge of Courage
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
These days, to avoid MIM parts, you have to spend at least $2,500.00 on a 1911 from a semi-custom maker like Ed Brown or Les Baer.

The Sig 1911 doesn't use MIM and is priced with higher end production Colt, Springfield, etc. The Sig doesn't get mentioned often, but their pistols over the last 4-5 years have been great, somewhat unconventional, but great.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another route around hammer bite is a ring hammer (not to be confused with a 'skeletonized' hammer).

I don't have trouble with hammer bite, but I prefer the high-hold that a smaller radius on the frame ears provides. To get that, the GI grip safety has to go.

Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know of any problems with Springfield slides & overall, SA is a top tier manufacturer of 1911's.

As mentioned by JOG, it's pretty hard to find an off the shelf pistol w/o MIM parts.

The hammer, sear, thumb safety, slide lock/release & the disconnecter are all candidates for change.

MIM parts are good for the economy.........they keep the cash flowing.

Here's an example that's on a kinda important part.......not a really high incidence of failure, but you can draw your own conclusion. From top tier gun, by the way.

[Linked Image]

MM

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 4,131 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.