Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Barak
God has always preferred that He mandate our behavior.

Satan offered the option of each person managing his own behavior.

Are you arguing that free will comes from Satan?

--not an attack; I just want to know where you're coming from before I respond.

No. Strive to understand rather than to assume that you must vie.

Questions of clarification are how I strive to understand, Dr. Howell. It only occurred to me after the question was posted that you might take it as a challenge, which is why I edited the post.

The option to choose for yourself comes from God.

Satan offers a specific menu entry � which "dish" to choose.

I agree.

God has always preferred that He mandate our behavior.

I'm not sure I agree here, but perhaps we just state it different ways. I'd say that God values a particular mitzvah much more if we do it of our own free choice because we enjoy pleasing him than he does if we do it with protest under compulsion because he mandates it. His first preference, I believe, is always that we freely choose to serve him, which is why he gave us the ability of free choice in the first place.

God's people insisted that instead of Him, they wanted human rulers.

God said All right, you can have your own rulers, but you won't like 'em.

Of course: the curse in I Samuel 8. I've read it many times, and marveled at how closely the US government today parallels God's predictions through Samuel.

God let us have the institution of human government. Even those rulers whom He approved at first sooner or later became fatally flawed, polluted, tainted, imperfect � because they were humans, neither God nor gods.

No disagreement. I never read anything bad about Othniel--grandson of Caleb and the first Judge of Israel--but then he wasn't a ruler and couldn't justly have been said to have presided over a State.

So we have, ostensibly, three choices �
� God
� self
� government

I believe that the three are really
� God
� self (with Satan pulling the strings of human nature)
� government (with God's permission)

Which one do you trust?

God, of course. We all agree, I hope, that no human government comes anywhere near being trustworthy. I myself am certainly not trustworthy, as witness my earlier comments about thoroughgoing changes to my beliefs over the past dozen years. (That is, the ones I held before were obviously untrue, and while I feel confident that the ones I hold now are less untrue, there's no reason to believe any sort of pinnacle has been reached or passed.)

God's the only one left; and of course he's absolutely trustworthy.

So...having established mostly common ground, where do we go next?

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck
But not with sheep--there you're right. A society of sheep will always be enslaved, whether it's invaded or not.

OK the best historical model I can find for this is the Spartan/Helot relationship. Spartans defeat a formerly free group and hold them in bondage with far fewer numbers. And it lasted quite awhile.

When were the Helots free? I wasn't able to find that.

I'm just saying that it happens and it's going to be tried again, to fail or not.

Probably true. Luckily, there's every reason to believe that a free society will be a market paradise of thriving economy and high technology.

Using the fictional Barakastan, would it not be better to stop an enemy at the border before the looting begins than to live under an oppressive boot. Gorilla war is an option but that sucks.

True enough. If a free society foresaw a threat from a neighboring State, most probably defense insurance would raise the price of the border property significantly; but it would then be defended much more competently and securely than anything we see the US government doing presently.

Best of all is to kill your enemy before he has a chance to kill you.

As long as you can be sure enough that he's really your enemy to have your action stand up in court, sure.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� So...having established mostly common ground, where do we go next?

You go your way, with my fond and sincere best wishes, and I go mine, mon cher fr�re.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You go your way, with my fond and sincere best wishes, and I go mine, mon cher fr�re.

What--I offended you, or at least convinced you that I wasn't willing to learn? Bummer: I was just getting started.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What--I offended you, or at least convinced you that I wasn't willing to learn? Bummer: I was just getting started.

No offense, mon cher fr�re.

I just have no appetite or stamina for any more intellectual jousting.

The field is all yours. Gallop, trot, canter. In any direction. With my blessing.

I must try to apply my waning abilities to other endeavors. I may not have enough time left to finish 'em.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll bet a $ or 2 that both the Israelis and Saudis would love to get their hands on Assange over this. The man is totally screwed, 'cause the Israelis and Saudis don't let little things like "due process" get in the way of solving a problem with, as they used to say, "extreme prejudice".

If PFC Bradley Manning, the U.S. Army soldier who has been arrested for providing this information to Assange, is proved to be involved in this mess, he should be court martialled and, if convicted, executed as a warning to other who might inclined to steal U.S. Government documents. If not executed, 52 years of being raped and beaten in the general prison population would be viable alternative.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I'll bet a $ or 2 that both the Israelis and Saudis would love to get their hands on Assange over this. The man is totally screwed, 'cause the Israelis and Saudis don't let little things like "due process" get in the way of solving a problem with, as they used to say, "extreme prejudice".

If PFC Bradley Manning, the U.S. Army soldier who has been arrested for providing this information to Assange, is proved to be involved in this mess, he should be court martialled and, if convicted, executed as a warning to other who might inclined to steal U.S. Government documents. If not executed, 52 years of being raped and beaten in the general prison population would be viable alternative.

Jeff

But tell us how you really feel. Let it all out. They should just put the little SOB up against the wall and shoot him. Oh and televised would be good!

NRA Lifetime Member
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V

Jeff

Nope.

Put him point on patrols in Afghanistan in areas he's known to have compromised.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would there be any way we could arrange to have some little Monkey Face Avatar Mofo as part of his "Unit" ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nope...

Figure a south Alabama "negro" machinegunner, of about 6'5", 285 lbs, as the "enforcer" of the platoon.... with a 5'7" 145 lbs Puerto Rican from NYC as the "instigator"....

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, you get a coupla' points there,...for "Diversity".

I want to know why Monkey ChitFace shouldn't be backing his play, e.g. "Yes, he disobeyed orders. Yes, he broke his oath. Yes, he committed treason. Still, he did the right thing."

and be with him,...offering spiritual counseling,...and speaking bravely?

Isn't that the "Godly thing" for him to do?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.thejewishweek.com/news/israel/israel_no_damage_wikileaks

Israel: �No Damage� From WikiLeaks

Amid the international uproar over newly released WikiLeaks documents, Israeli officials capitalized on an unexpected public relations coup: confirmation that the specter of a nuclear Iran has Arab states just as frightened � and nearly as hawkish � as Israel.

�I don�t see any damage. Quite the opposite,� said Israeli Finance Minister Yuval Steinitz in an interview with Israel Radio. �Maybe there�s an indirect benefit that the truth is coming out, that the entire Middle East, including Arab states, are very fearful from the Iranian nuclear threat, and are calling on the West to be much more aggressive toward Iran.�

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Well, you get a coupla' points there,...for "Diversity".

I want to know why Monkey ChitFace shouldn't be backing his play, e.g. "Yes, he disobeyed orders. Yes, he broke his oath. Yes, he committed treason. Still, he did the right thing."

and be with him,...offering spiritual counseling,...and speaking bravely?

Isn't that the "Godly thing" for him to do?

GTC

Would require balls. He has none.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are a few anarchist libertines out there. Essentially, they believe that being an anarchist means they shouldn't ever have to follow any rules of any kind for any reason--ever.

They generally believe, though, that other people should follow rules--preferably the rules they set for them.

Libertines are not deep thinkers and have no grasp of the glaring logical contradictions in their lifestyle. Rush Limbaugh used to call them "long-haired dope-smoking maggot-infested FM types."

No, of course I'm not a libertine, in either the political or the social sense.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope,.....Ragging on, and showing some SERIOUS disrespect for a revered elder is obviously more his speed.

Sorta' fella that HAS to run alone,......if you can call that "running",.....

what IS the proper term for mobility as practiced by creatures that leave a trail of slime, anyhoo?

GTC

GTC

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Nope,.....Ragging on, and showing some SERIOUS disrespect for a revered elder is obviously more his speed.

Sorta' fella that HAS to run alone,......if you can call that "running",.....

what IS the proper term for mobility as practiced by creatures that leave a trail of slime, anyhoo?

GTC

GTC

Slithering?

Sliming?

Sliding?

Though, I believe "crawling" is the proper term, on many levels.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno',......We "Belly Crawled", lots (more then I ever wanted to)

That sorta' crawling implies having GUTS.

Can something fundamentally GUTLESS really crawl?

"Sliming" gets my vote.

GTC

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Slimed, works.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OOZING ?

CREEPING ?

Hell, at least we don't have walking upright, standing tall, feet spread shoulders wide attached to, or associated with the little [bleep]' creep.

DRIZZLING ?

GTC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Jeff

He may very enjoy that. He did, after all, do this out of spite for Don't ask, don't tell.

[Linked Image]

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,563
Posts18,531,649
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.