Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The number of stars can be best described from the book 'Watership Downs'. The book is about rabbits and is a parody about forms of government. The rabbits could only count to 5 and any larger amount was referred to as 'hrar'. The number of stars is simply hrar.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Does anyone really know how big the universe really is. Is it square, cubical, three dimensional or?

Ask Gus. He might not know, but his answer should be entertaining.

the universe is a box. what color is the box, anyone know for sure?

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

the universe is a box. what color is the box, anyone know for sure?

Blue on the inside, except when it is black with little lights hung inside.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm amazed it came out to be an even number like that. Rather than .........682.

1Minute
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 1minute
I'm amazed it came out to be an even number like that. Rather than .........682.

there are many Suns of God residing in the Universe. in fact, a few amongst us might go out on a limb and suggest that the only remaining pieces of God are the Suns of God, spread out through the Universe?

say what? isn't that a Heresy of One Kind or Another? grin

Entertainment, how much does it cost? why, it's Free of course. grin

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bcp
Does anyone really know how big the universe really is. Is it square, cubical, three dimensional or?

NASA says it is flat.
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html

"We now know that the universe is flat with only a 2% margin of error."

The surface of a very large sphere can also appear flat if viewed inappropriately, as the flat-landers can tell us.

Last edited by SteveG; 12/02/10.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock Chuck:
The rabbits could only count to 5 and any larger amount was referred to as 'hrar'.

I think is was the Lions of Tsavo book that discussed the natives in that region of Africa. They had numbers for 0, 1, and 2, and thereafter one simply had "many." There were no measures of distance either, so things were simply nearby or far away.

One of his stories involved natives running in mid morning to report some targeted game nearby. The party dropped everything, grabbed their rifles, and rushed out to do the deed. Near dusk they reached the quarry, made their kill, and returned to camp post midnight in sad shape. Seems no one had packed water, food, warm clothing, any means of starting a fire, or light source.

I've read of some similar incidents involving the early day Inuits too. Amazing what we take for granted.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/02/10.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1minute
Rock Chuck:
The rabbits could only count to 5 and any larger amount was referred to as 'hrar'.

I think is was the Lions of Tsavo book that discussed the natives in that region of Africa. They had numbers for 0, 1, and 2, and thereafter one simply had "many." There were no measures of distance either, so things were simply nearby or far away.

One of his stories involved natives running in mid morning to report some targeted game nearby. The party dropped everything, grabbed their rifles, and rushed out to do the deed. Near dusk they reached the quarry, made their kill, and returned to camp post midnight in sad shape. Seems no one had packed water, food, warm clothing, any means of starting a fire, or light source.

I've read of some similar incidents involving the early day Inuits too. Amazing what we take for granted.

Most animals have the same ability. After 3, they can not tell if one has stayed behind when the others walk off. Works occasionally for the hunter.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The number of stars can be best described from the book 'Watership Downs'. The book is about rabbits and is a parody about forms of government. The rabbits could only count to 5 and any larger amount was referred to as 'hrar'. The number of stars is simply hrar.

Wonderful book as are Plague Dogs and Traveller by the same author.

Traveller is the US Civil War from the viewpoint of Robert E. Lee's favorite horse.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can relate to the posts here where the night sky seems completely different when there is little light pollution.

Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, above the Arctic Circle the amount of stars to be seen is amazing and awesome to behold.
The Northern Lights are mighty spectacular there as well.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most animals have the same ability. After 3, they can not tell if one has stayed behind when the others walk off. Works occasionally for the hunter.

Can't remember whose account it was, but it had to do with shooting crow from a blind. Three hunters went in and 2 came out. Four more entered and 5 left. Eight came in and 6 left. Then 4 came in and 5 left. Last we had 2 returning as 1 was leaving. The end of the story was that crows could count, but they couldn't do calculus.

1Minute
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have looked for hours in to the night sky,sometimes with no magnification,other times with celestial telescopes and I have never not been amazed at the sight. In my small mind, I have to believe we are not alone, somewhere out there all the same circumstances and the hand of God has created other life. Like us? maybe. Beyond us? maybe When astronomers speak of distances of millions of years at the speed of light,it is easy to see why we haven't met anyone from another world. Maybe their radio waves won't get here for us to listen to far many hundreds of thousands of years yet to come. Nevertheless, I find the enormity of space amazing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I lost. When I saw the thread title it HAD to be Gus... I was wrong for the first time this year....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And then there are those that claim this is all just an accident.. a big bang.... yep. right.

Hard to fathom that some don't think there isn't a greater being.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rost495
I lost. When I saw the thread title it HAD to be Gus... I was wrong for the first time this year....

being wrong is never a bad thing. it just means we gotta take into account all available information and guess again. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I estimate the number of stars in the cosmos to be slightly less that the number simpering sycophants and azzholes in Washington DC.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Wonderful book as are Plague Dogs and Traveller by the same author.

Traveller is the US Civil War from the viewpoint of Robert E. Lee's favorite horse.

I loved Watership Down. Read it to my kids as a loooooong bedtime story when they were young. I think I will have to look into reading those other two books now.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I estimate the number of stars in the cosmos to be slightly less that the number simpering sycophants and azzholes in Washington DC.

Was that shooting star really a meteor, or Nancy brooming home for the weekend?

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
An astrophysist and an astronomer, one from Yale and the other from Harvard now estimate that there are 300 sextillion stars in the universe. 300 followed by 21 zeros. That`s 300 billion-trillion.

According to google, that number about equals the human cell count for everyone on earth.

And for further comparison and to put it in layman's terms that number is about the size of our countries' deficit.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by SteveG
Originally Posted by bcp

NASA says it is flat.
http://map.gsfc.nasa.gov/universe/uni_shape.html

"We now know that the universe is flat with only a 2% margin of error."

The surface of a very large sphere can also appear flat if viewed inappropriately, as the flat-landers can tell us.

That, is amazingly profound.

As if the original number weren't staggering enough, the contemplation of it as part of, or a disc of, a sphere on the inside (as part of it's volume) is stunning. To think that it's potentially on a small portion of it's surface area, so small as to appear flat...

Incalculable...

How small we truly are.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 64 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,390
Posts18,527,744
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.