-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather a Howa than a Rem, but both worked over, the only big diff then to ME would be:

1) a 2 piece bolt handle assembly on Rem - (and I had one break!)
2) Much beefier extractor IMO in the Howa
3) Intregral Recoil lug via Howa IIRC.

So, if you can mentally wrap around a Rem vs a Howa, nothing wrong w/a blue printed 700 w/good bbl, trigger, and stock surrounding it. They usually print well, and bolt breakage is not common, but ALWAYS a possibility. Trust me, you'd NEVER want that happening in the field, esp. in the outback and w/o a backup rifle nearby IMO. It effectively renders your hunt OVER Pronto!

That said, I'd venture that a 270 or '06 Howa, w/Micky stock would do many a hunter a fine job, and agree w/post above on that note.

That said, I am intriqued by the Cooper's, yes the wood/blue models, in particular the 54 being a short action buff. Bolt lift and angle is noted, but not perhaps unlike an A-bolt or late model Sako. If they'd do a ss/syn version, I'd look to it perhaps first for all around use, but want a QUALITY handle. B&C's are functional, albeit HEAVY IMO.

Timney is a good trigger, and Pac-Nor, well I hold them in high regard inc. over the Wilson, yet the latter is said to be held to TIGHT spec request, now a joint ownership IIRC between Wilson and Cooper.

It's all about choices. Most shoot better than many hunters can hold, yet balance and overall quality, dependability/durability is of importance and perceptions may vary among these variables, depending on who you ask.

Pride of ownership is a consideration. I'd MUCH rather own a 1500 dollar rifle, than any 'TURN KEY' product costing 3-4x but that's just me. As to Howa being the action/design of the Nosler, it's still a NOSLER product and I believe that should count for something.

Nice to have choices, the market for semi-customs and/or higher grade rifles in this price range seems to be growing. Competition often brings more value/quality and price competition.

None of which are bad for the end users.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot to add, Rem has the 'unsafe' trigger's of the two......

That was #4.

And yes, I had an AD once.........w/a 700.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sometimes I read all the negative bs thrown around about products and just scratch my head. I am no expert per say, but I have sure seen a number of custom Howa's shown on this board and did not see the bashing going on. I had a Vanguard for a bit and it was a fine rifle.....action was more solid than any Remington 700 I have owned...I have some custom 700s ...they are fine....but the Nosler seems reasonable to me.....you are buying a low volume custom production gun at a pretty fair price.....it might even hold its value better than the average custom 700...just don't get the negative towards the Nosler....

Last edited by goodshot; 12/02/10.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 77 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.