-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
S
Excerpt- I think the best word to describe the Blaser R8 is "fast." This should not be a revelation. Straight-pull bolt actions, whether modern guns like the Blaser R93 or Heym SR20, or old-timers like the Ross, don't have the same feel as the turnbolts most of us are familiar with, so they take some getting used to. With some practice, however, I'm convinced that a straight-pull is faster to operate than any turnbolt. There's less movement, of course, but straight-pulls seem easier to operate while the rifle is shouldered.

We all know that Mauser intended his turnbolt to be operated from the shoulder, but there are relatively few shooters who actually keep the rifle on the shoulder--sights on the target--while working the bolt. Most take the rifle halfway down to work the bolt, then raise it again to fire. For some, this is to gain leverage to work the bolt. For others, it is irritating to have the bolt come back to almost touch the nose. I can work a left-handed bolt from the shoulder; a right-handed bolt is impossible, since I have to take it halfway down to reach over the top.

I switched to (mostly) left-hand actions in the early 1980s and ever since have worked hard on operating them from the shoulder. Even so, I often catch myself taking a left-hand action partway down to work the bolt. The straight-pull pretty much cures this problem. There's less hand motion required to work the action, and it seems more ergonomically correct to leave the rifle on the shoulder while working the action.

The Blaser R93 is definitely the most popular of the admittedly small crop of modern straight-pulls. Guys who love it cite not only the R93's fast action, but also its modular system of interchangeable barrels and, as required, bolt heads and magazines so you can have just one action and stock with multiple barrels for any purpose. Blaser uses good hammer-forged barrels and sound bedding, so accuracy is generally very good--often exceptional.

The integral saddle scope mounting system goes on the barrel, not on the action. This is a failing of many switch-barrel systems in that an action-mounted scope must be rezeroed when you change barrels, or you must carry separate scopes in detachable mounts, remembering which is which and hoping they're repeatable. With the Blaser you can switch scopes from barrel to barrel if you like, or you can mate a scope with a barrel and leave it attached and zeroed.

Last edited by SWfivehundred; 12/02/10.
GB1

R
R
Of course, for those that don't like the Blaser, there is the Mauser M03!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Jim I remember this, it destroyed a fellows face I believe.

this is pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AqMl1A4aQ

then:

http://www.deportiro.com.ar/english_articles/al10_english_version.shtml

I�ve taken notice that the following investigations are taking place:

1 Accident near M�nster with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber 6,5x68
1 Accident near Koblenz recently with a Blaser rifle R93 caliber .300 Weatherby
1 Accident in Africa with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber .416 Rem Mag, that then was stolen
2 Accidents near Nantes, one with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H and another with a .300 Winchester Magnum
1 Accident near Paris with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H
1 Accident in Austria

After the last accident, the CEO of Blaser company, Mr. Kn�bel, said to the press that in all the models of his brands sometimes wrong ammunition, in bad state or bad reloaded could cause the gun rupture and the shooter could be injured.

This is certainly valid: that a blown of a gun could be produced ocasionally for various reasons, but what is not normal or common is that the shooter results injured in his head or face. For this matter I�m distributing this information to every important media of the world so, by them, to communicate with me every users that have suffered problems or hurts with Blaser rifles Model R93 of any caliber.

A gun engineer of Germany, Mr. Arndt G. Kriegeskorte, after making a technical analysis of the R93 action and saying that they are risky and insecure for the shooters, was menaced formally by Blaser that if he continue telling about his findings will be demanded by Euros 200.000 (about us$ 250.000.-)

There's a British Columbian who tours the gunshows - just to show what happened to him when his exploded in his hands. He rents a table - just to educate others. He's had no satisfaction from the manufacturer.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SWfivehundred
I had read this earlier on this thread and thought I would just interject some humor here - according to this I should fit into one of these catagorys. Sarcasm is free, I'm ususally pretty tame;)

we have a number of resident bullies, blowhards, troublemakers, trolls, and other Neanderthal hunting type azzholes here on this form driving their blue collar Remington rifles with McMillan lipstick (their is one particularly large obnoxious fellow here that likes brownings but we tolerate him as well), this place would be as boring as a retirement home for nuns without them. I like German optics, yet the straight pull German rifles whose only innovation is a switch barrel and a T-bolt type pull handle I just don�t know.

There has to be some strange yet powerful forces at work for a person to make a post like this, DFDS, ADD ??? you need to get some nerve meds and post back when they have taken effect grin

S
S
Of course you mustmean - in your opinion because of your medical background!

IC B2

S
S
This entry was posted on Friday, October 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm and is filed under product liability.
Remington Model 700 Rifle lawsuit claims defect caused misfire

Released: Friday, October 8, 2010
Another lawsuit was filed against the Remington Arms Company, on behalf of an individual who claims to have suffered damage due to a misfire Remington Model 700 rifle. The lawsuit claims that he met on the Remington model 700 rifle without triggering dangerous propensity as a trigger for decades.
According to the lawsuit filed by Jay Rambo, his father was carrying the .338 caliber Remington Model 700 rifle when he pulled the trigger without being touched. projectiles at high speed 200-grain Jay Rambo hit his forearm and his right buttock, according to the complaint. The gun was resting on the foam of the open case, because the gun was loaded from Jay's father, Dale Rambo.
This activation mechanism, known as the Walker Fire Control, "uses an internal component called" connector ". The lawsuit claims that Remington has experienced problems with the Walker fire control for decades. In a statement the company since 1979, Remington also admits his failure and recognize the danger to their customers.
Remington also redesigned the control of fire to trigger the Model 700 with a new design, the X-Mark Pro That project was completed in 2002. Even today, Remington installed new fire control in some but not all rifles Bolt Action. However, Remington has decided to continue with the Walker design for financial reasons, not warning the public.
Jay Rambo is one of thousands of people have applied for a Remington model 700 rifle misfires. In studies involving injuries Remington Model 700 rifle misfires, the manufacturer of the gun was ordered to pay substantial damages to plaintiffs. The company also paid about $ 20 million to settle these disputes out of court.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by repairman
Of course, for those that don't like the Blaser, there is the Mauser M03!

And neither has any issues of blowing up or safeties failing! Then again neither do the Sauers...

And both are shooters! Wonder how many folks here have ever looked at either of those rifles. I know some of the 24 hr guys are 202 fans but you don't seen the M03 mentioned here much at all. Maybe this thread will help change that too?

Last edited by thechamp; 12/02/10.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It should be noted that the H-S precision requires factory fitting of each barrel assembly. This fitting process involves some minimal material removal from the receiver ring and bolt. This leads to a practicle maximum of 3 barrel assemblies per rifle.

The Blaser R93/Mauser M03/Sauer 202 require no fitting so there is no limit on barrels per rifle and any barrel will fit any rifle.

I have 2 R93's with 9 barrels from .22LR to .416 Rem Mag.

Brazos Jack

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Brazos_Jack
It should be noted that the H-S precision requires factory fitting of each barrel assembly. This fitting process involves some minimal material removal from the receiver ring and bolt. This leads to a practicle maximum of 3 barrel assemblies per rifle.

The Blaser R93/Mauser M03/Sauer 202 require no fitting so there is no limit on barrels per rifle and any barrel will fit any rifle.

I have 2 R93's with 9 barrels from .22LR to .416 Rem Mag.

Thanks Brazos_Jack for confirming that info on the HS Precision. That was what I remembered when I checked into it. Funny their website doesn't even give the price for a barrel nor that information any longer. It used to be there. And the standard barrels from Blaser and Sauer are half the price of the American made HS barrels. I'm thinking the standard M03 barrels are a bit higher but still cheaper than the HS ones.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I had a blaser once but it rode rough and made poor gas mileage. So now I have a Tacoma that rides a little less rough ,makes better gas mileage to carry my $3300+ Shiloh Sharps. Only one gun worth more than $3000 and they are Shiloh Sharps 74's. Magnum Man

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cooperfan
Originally Posted by BarryC
Looking these up on Gunbroker, you could buy a new Winchester or Remington for the price of just one replacement barrel!

Nice, but too pricey for most to even consider.

You can regularly buy hardly used centerfire barrels for $650 range if you shop the classifieds on Blaser Buds or Blaser Pro. Really IMO you can get away with 3 barrels to cover most everyones needs. The rimfire barrel (which I have) is outragoues though. That one hurt.

That sounds interesting.
How did they make it fire on the rim? Bore it off-center? I can see how it might be pricey to pull that off AND make it removable!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I had a blaser once but it rode rough and made poor gas mileage. So now I have a Tacoma that rides a little less rough ,makes better gas mileage to carry my $3300+ Shiloh Sharps. Only one gun worth more than $3000 and they are Shiloh Sharps 74's. Magnum Man

You must be a comodian.
Butch

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That must be it,seems I'm catching sh*t for telling the truth. Magnum_Man

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cooperfan

You can regularly buy hardly used centerfire barrels for $650 range if you shop the classifieds on Blaser Buds or Blaser Pro. Really IMO you can get away with 3 barrels to cover most everyones needs. The rimfire barrel (which I have) is outragoues though. That one hurt.

That sounds interesting.
How did they make it fire on the rim? Bore it off-center? I can see how it might be pricey to pull that off AND make it removable!

The bolt head is removeable from the bolt on the Blaser. They make a number of interchangable bolt heads. Rimfire, .223 size, .30-06 size, belted magnum size, and a couple of oddball sizes for some odd Euro cartridges. So no need to bore the barrel off center. The bolt heads are all stamped with a 2 letter code. ST for standard .30-06, MA for belted magnum, etc. All the barrels are stamped with the 2 letter code of the bolt head it requires.

There are also magazine inserts for different cartridges. Because even cartridges of the same length and head size won't feed right out of the same magazine if the body taper and shoulder diameter are different.

This is why multi-barrel systems based on standard actions, like the H-S Precision or Dakota Traveler have to be chambered for cartridges with the same head size and length (.30-06 & .270 or 7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag) and still may have feeding problems.

Last edited by Brazos_Jack; 12/03/10. Reason: addition

Brazos Jack

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Jack. So the firing pin & spring is part of the bolt head?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, Jack. So the firing pin & spring is part of the bolt head?

It is only for the 22 bolt head as its an extension of the system.

But the firing pin/spring for the mini; standard, and magnum are all the same as part of the bolt assembly, not the head that adapts for different brass diameter.

The only other heads are for a 28ga shotgun and a Ultra-mag bolt for 300RUM+ 7STW.....they also use the same firing pin/spring system.

(I should add there are heads for a 22 hornet and 10.3x60r but they are rare to find in the US, and there are very few copies of either around)

Last edited by dinsdale; 12/03/10.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Jim I remember this, it destroyed a fellows face I believe.

this is pretty good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4AqMl1A4aQ

then:

http://www.deportiro.com.ar/english_articles/al10_english_version.shtml

I�ve taken notice that the following investigations are taking place:

1 Accident near M�nster with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber 6,5x68
1 Accident near Koblenz recently with a Blaser rifle R93 caliber .300 Weatherby
1 Accident in Africa with a Blaser rifle model R93 caliber .416 Rem Mag, that then was stolen
2 Accidents near Nantes, one with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H and another with a .300 Winchester Magnum
1 Accident near Paris with a Blaser R93 caliber .375 H&H
1 Accident in Austria

After the last accident, the CEO of Blaser company, Mr. Kn�bel, said to the press that in all the models of his brands sometimes wrong ammunition, in bad state or bad reloaded could cause the gun rupture and the shooter could be injured.

This is certainly valid: that a blown of a gun could be produced ocasionally for various reasons, but what is not normal or common is that the shooter results injured in his head or face. For this matter I�m distributing this information to every important media of the world so, by them, to communicate with me every users that have suffered problems or hurts with Blaser rifles Model R93 of any caliber.

A gun engineer of Germany, Mr. Arndt G. Kriegeskorte, after making a technical analysis of the R93 action and saying that they are risky and insecure for the shooters, was menaced formally by Blaser that if he continue telling about his findings will be demanded by Euros 200.000 (about us$ 250.000.-)

There's a British Columbian who tours the gunshows - just to show what happened to him when his exploded in his hands. He rents a table - just to educate others. He's had no satisfaction from the manufacturer.

this is a relevant post, there seem to be several Blaser failures. What is the gas handling mechanism in the rifle that deals with case failure?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Lutz Moeller is a known Blaser basher, his info is always one sided, nearly always leaving out the part about rifle cases filled with pistol powder, and the shooters beating the rifle open,and shooting it until fingers of the locking lugs were broken off the bolt head, and firing it again. While no one deserves to be hurt, the nature of stupidity is that if you ask for a bolt in the face enough times, nature will eventually give you what you ask for.
This crap has been around for a long time, and it is no more relevent now then it was then.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well when I down sized my gun collection, I sold a Dakota 76 in 270 that I bought for a very good price and sold it for a really good price. I used the proceeds from that to Buy a Blaser R-93, Mine is a 7mm RM. And I been hunting with it for going on 5 seasons now. Best rifle I ever owned. And I owned a bunch of them over the years. Most people who bad mouth them never even seen one let alone shoot one. When I got mine, the dealer didn't have a scope I wanted for it, very small shop so I when to my usual place and the first thing said are you worried about the bolt going in you eye, I said no. They are a little weird at first and they take a little getting use to, I took me all of 6 shots. That was it, and the bullets still go to the same place I zeroed it in for, 5 years ago, and I keep it broken down in my duffle bag when not in use. The main reason I when this route is for easy of storage, and transport. I can put the thing rolled up in a sleeping bag and the bag in my duffle and go! And you would not even know I had a rifle If I didn't tell you. Well made, more of a semi custom gun like a Dakota, if you want to talk about price, and I will say the blaser will shoot tighter groups than a Dakota will, I know I had three dakotas a one time and one was a Model 10. Its a kind of rifle you buy and keep, if you like to trade a lot then it may not be. Yea barrels are not cheap but you can find deals. I can add a tracker barrel and have a wonderful, Mountain Laurl thicket rifle.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
what happens if you want to use a harris bipod it looks like all the swivels are on the front. knowing everything I know now and if I didn't own any of my guns, which include 2 customs. I might just buy a blaser instead.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.