Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend at work that has this issue and I do not know the answer...maybe y'all do?

If you run an ad on GB and let's say that you run as a NO RESERVE auction with a BUY IT NOW. Let us also say that you intend for the gun to sell for at least the BUY IT NOW, but it sells for less.....

1 - are you legally obligated to sell to the winner?

2 - What recourse does the 'winner' have if the Seller refuses to make the sale?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
GUn is sold at the end of the auction in a no reserve situation.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don't think you are legally obligated to sell to the winning bidder. The only recourse the winning bidder has if the seller refuses to make the sale is to report it to GB and the seller will more than likely get kicked off.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. Yes

2. Breech of contract suit??

Cancer Sucks
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't think you are legally obligated to sell to the winning bidder. The only recorse the winning bidder has if the seller refuses to make the sale is to report it to GB and the seller will more than likely get kicked off.

You actually are obligated. But recourse is tough. Small claims, and might be out of state for the buyer.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It's very unusual for a gun to sell for more than the BUY IT NOW price. If it's a few bucks under, and someone wants it, all they have to do is click the BUY IT NOW button and the auction is over.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
tell him in future use a reserve price or start the bid at lowest amount you are willing to sell it for

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I don't think you are legally obligated to sell to the winning bidder. The only recorse the winning bidder has if the seller refuses to make the sale is to report it to GB and the seller will more than likely get kicked off.

You actually are obligated. But recourse is tough. Small claims, and might be out of state for the buyer.

BMT

Seems like it would be a pita.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
H
H
Hope I don't try to buy a gun from someone who doesn't intend to really sell the gun to the winner just because he was too dumb to set a reserve price.

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself. Monty Python
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by haus_von_stein
Hope I don't try to buy a gun from someone who doesn't intend to really sell the gun to the winner just because he was too dumb to set a reserve price.

Same here brutha, I'd be pissed!!!!!!!

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
1. Yes

Agreed, the way to protect what you want is to start it at the minimum you are willing to accept for the item.

Read the rules there, your bid is a CONTRACT, buyers and sellers agree to that when they sign up to use the site.

My advice, Man up and honor the deal and LEARN.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I never cease to be amazed that people will sell their good name/honor for a few bucks.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NH K9
I never cease to be amazed that people will sell their good name/honor for a few bucks.

George

+164

Me, If it has a reserve I won't bid. It's not an auction. Auction indicates sale to the highest bidder.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

George

+1

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

George

You are assuming that they HAVE a good name and honor.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by denton
It's very unusual for a gun to sell for more than the BUY IT NOW price. If it's a few bucks under, and someone wants it, all they have to do is click the BUY IT NOW button and the auction is over.

that's what had me scratching my head....I'd say your pal is a few fries shy of a happy meal, or reading challenged, if he thought an auction was going to yield more than the buy it now price.

as far as remedy....unless it was a very expensive gun and very underpriced, it would never be worth the candle to litigate interstate over a defaulted gun purchase agreement. but I guess it could get you banned at Gunbroker.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

George

r08ert209cali did

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
1. Yes

Agreed, the way to protect what you want is to start it at the minimum you are willing to accept for the item.

Read the rules there, your bid is a CONTRACT, buyers and sellers agree to that when they sign up to use the site.

My advice, Man up and honor the deal and LEARN.

+ 1

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257wby
Me, If it has a reserve I won't bid. It's not an auction. Auction indicates sale to the highest bidder.

Generally speaking, there are "auctions" going on all the time where there is a reserve price, but bidding pricing starts well below the "reserve" and/or the "buy it now" price. The reason is so that if/when someone is willing to sell at a certain price, but is unsure if the item may be worth such a price to anyone else - thus the reserve price.

Point being, having a reserve price doesn't mean it's not an auction, because it can/will still sell to the highest bidder as long as the seller-provided minimum sale price is met. It's only if/when it doesn't meet that price that the items ends up not having to be sold.

That said, I can understand your position on not participating in auctions with reserve prices ... but having a reserve price doesn't mean it's not an auction, as you stated.

-WGM-
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You bid, you win, you pay..period. If you are the seller you honor your selling price.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,934 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,754
Posts18,514,763
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.