Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Couldn't score any geese today, but did very well on divers and spoonbills from the canoe. There were three of us hunting, but my buddy's dad found out too late that his gun was non-functional and wouldn't fire. So, we took turns letting him share one of our guns and he managed to kill a couple of birds before I left. Total bird count when I rolled at 9:30 AM (grrr...wife's freaking job cutting me short AGAIN) was 11 birds on two guns - 7 ruddy ducks and 4 shovelers:

[Linked Image]

It was hard work getting out in a man-powered vessel today, as the thick stuff below locked up much of the water, even in this big lake; it was 2"+ in many places:

[Linked Image]

My 3 year-old gets a kick out of it when I bring home birds. She always wants to "pet them" when I lay them out for dressing...heh. Here she is with my half of the pull:

[Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ruddy's are my favorite ducks to sit and watch in the summer. Ducks in a clown suit. Show off kings of the marsh. Spoonies get less credit than they deserve. Well brined they are good eating and reliable to the decoys.

I know nothing about 3 year olds, especially little girls. This is a fact though. She is cute as a button. A little young for cold weather hunting but has she shared the blind with Dad yet?

LuisL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BullGoose -

No, she hasn't shared a blind with me just yet. The one advantage of moving to Las Vegas is that the warmed weather should entice Mom out to keep an eye on our little one during the early season, something she won't readily do right now. Once she's willing to do that, the little one will be able to come. It's all a maturity/listening skills check before I take her out with me solo as her safety is my #1 priority when she finally does join me.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
She is a cutey. That's funny, my 3 yr old girl loves it when I bring home birds, too. I can't cut them in the field, bringing home meat just won't do. I do the dirty work in the garage, and invariably my daughter will pick up a bird and take it in for Mom to see, and is always met with delight! I shot a green wing teal a couple of weeks ago that I barely was able to clean--she had decided it was her pet and was carrying the darn thing around with her.

I've been taking mine along with me on nice days (above 30 deg here is pretty nice). Bring lots of snacks, lower your expectations for actually getting birds by ALOT, and be prepared to leave early. Sounds like fun, right? Well it is. I got "your the best dad in the world" last time, and "I'm having a great time" just about 5 minutes before "my feet are cold I want to go home now." I have waders for her made from Oaki (I think), only ones I could find. I put ear plugs in for her with a sock cap over, and we practice listening at home and practice some of the scenario before going out. More like play, but it does give her preparation and understanding of what to expect, as well as practice at listening.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,343
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.