Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Well then, I guess the next question is this:

Would the lock keep you from buying a new model if this is the gun you want? (don't worry TRH, I already know how you feel)

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It didn't stop me then, obviously, from a bet my life standpoint, but it might now from a resale perspective if I wanted another one. And has been said, the lock can fairly easily be deactivated if it concerns you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is the thread to which johnw referred: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ue/S_W_Revolver_locks_itself#Post2196198

I am getting rid of one lock gun, a model 60, but I just bought another, a Model 325 Night Guard in .45 ACP. My preference is to have a non-lock gun, all things being equal, but the Night Guard is new technology and not available without the lock. So, it will get a good shakedown before I trust it. It seems as though most of the lock problems involve light guns, not steel guns.

The model 60 never gave me any trouble, but I never fired any .357 from it.

Anything can fail. I can recall one incident about 15 years ago. I went to the range and shot my Beretta 92D. A few days later, I was starting to roll the hammer back on a charging pit pull that I managed to stop at the last second by yelling. I went back to the range a few days later and the trigger spring broke after the first shot. I'm glad I didn't have to find out if I would have made a one shot stop. I replaced the trigger spring and kept carrying the gun.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Model 60 is a great handgun in all its forms, but it should be pointed out the Model 60 Pro that War Eagle is considering takes things up a notch or three.

[Linked Image]

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Well then, I guess the next question is this:

Would the lock keep you from buying a new model if this is the gun you want? (don't worry TRH, I already know how you feel)
I know you do, but here's why: There are pre-lock Model 60s still available in great shape (even new in the box) for less than the new ones are going for. Why intentionally handicap yourself with something else that can go wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The main reason for ME not wanting one with a lock is that I think the lock us fugly as sin! If it were just less noticeable, like Taurus's.....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
The main reason for ME not wanting one with a lock is that I think the lock us fugly as sin!
That too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was thinking about an SP101 in 357 a while back too. While looking I found a lightly used S&W Model 60. I went with the model 60.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my girlfriend a 3� Model 60 many years ago, that�s the one with adjustable sights and full underlug. They were only in .38 Special at the time but that was a great little piece. The adjustable sights let you dial it in for any load, it was light enough but not so dang light that target loads snapped your wrist. Recoil even with full power .38�s was sharp but not punishing by any means, even for a lady. I wouldn�t care to fire full power loads in the .357 version unless absolutely necessary as I found .357�s in my much heavier SP101 to be real unpleasant.

Can�t say I will ever like the aesthetics of the new Smiths with the angled underlug but that�s just an old guy�s habituation to the �classic� style.

Not sure what use you intend for it, but a 60 in that configuration � 3� with adjustable sights � is a terrific little revolver for a trail type gun that will handle a range of ammo. That is a good deal considering the price of even older used Smiths. I�d say go for it, you will most likely really enjoy owning and shooting it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Yes I did.

Key lock?

[bleep] that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Due to states of residence and overseas travel, I din't own a handgun until I was in my thirties. At that time, after careful deliberation, I bought a 3" Mod 60. Great gun.

When it came out in .357 I upgraded, to an even better gun. With mild reloads I taught my wife and son to shoot, in the woods I carried it with 180 grain Federal Castcores, and it still does duty as the go-to home defense gun loaded with .38 PlusP's. Simple for anyone in the house to operate, even under duress.

I have been fortunate. Only twice in the past twenty years have I felt myelf in imminent peril from a potential opponent (rattlesnakes dont count). As luck would have it both happened this year.

Back in June while doing field work I encountered a 400 lb feral boar hog in the woods that weren't inclined to run. Twenty yards out it just stood while I yelled at it it to no avail. After a bit it abruptly ran into a dense thicket and stood there just out of site, blowing and puffing. I had to walk by that thicket. First feral hog I've ever run into that didn't run like a scalded cat.

For a number of reasons I didn't shoot it, not the least of which was I felt not certain that I could drop 400 pounds of inbound hog with that Mod 60 in just two or three seconds. That same week, mindful of that and the even bigger hogs I have run into from time to time, I bought a 10mm Glock 29.

The second occasion of apparent peril happened just a couple of weeks back: It is my usual practice to put in my daily five mile walk with the dogs early in the morning, but, not having been able to do that for a few days instead I headed out late at night, around midnight.

Here on the wrong side of town I was walking down a deserted stretch of street, empty lots, old businesses, no houses. I was walking on the left side sidewalk. An old, beat up eighties sedan cruises up from behind quite slowly, passes me and then makes a sudden abrupt turn to the left, stopping crossways in the middle of the street, driver's side toward me, maybe forty feet away from where I stood.

The driver was a rough-looking, older Black guy, thirties or forties. He was staring at me hard.

There's prob'ly a number of possible explanations for that sequence of events, but at that time, at that location, the most likely explanation still is that I was an intended victim.

For a moment there I really thought it was going to happen, to the point that I put a hand to the Glock (legally carried).

I dunno who would have prevailed, but I do know that the fact that MOST of my range time with handguns over the last two decades has been spent on close range "panic" drills at fifteen yards or less helped immensely just then. Even as the slow motion/tunnel vision thing began to kick in, I felt long familiar with the draw, aim and then shoot movements I was gonna make if it came to all that.

Just like that the guy drove off and it was over.

I'm sure that, had worse come to worst, I might have prevailed in both situations even with that familiar Model 60. But given a choice, in those situations I'd rather have eleven rounds of easy-to shoot 200 grain loads at 1,100 fps over five rounds of harder-to-shoot 180 grain loads moving slower than that.

The Model 60 is a fine handgun, it just ain't "enough gun" fer me anymore.

YMMV,

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Model 60 is a fine revolver. That being said as long as S&W puts the lock on their guns, I will not buy one. Sent them an email stating such. I am only one person but I let them know how I feel. If more did the same and refused to buy, they might grab a clue.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handguns come and go pretty quickly with me. A couple years ago or so Massad Ayoob wrote an article stating that S&W was going to 'give the customer what they want' and eliminate the locks altogether. That hasn't happened of course, but I haven't owned any S&W with locks since the article. If the locks were eliminated the value of used revolvers with locks will go through the [bleep].

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Due to states of residence and overseas travel, I din't own a handgun until I was in my thirties. At that time, after careful deliberation, I bought a 3" Mod 60. Great gun.

When it came out in .357 I upgraded, to an even better gun. With mild reloads I taught my wife and son to shoot, in the woods I carried it with 180 grain Federal Castcores, and it still does duty as the go-to home defense gun loaded with .38 PlusP's. Simple for anyone in the house to operate, even under duress.

I have been fortunate. Only twice in the past twenty years have I felt myelf in imminent peril from a potential opponent (rattlesnakes dont count). As luck would have it both happened this year.

Back in June while doing field work I encountered a 400 lb feral boar hog in the woods that weren't inclined to run. Twenty yards out it just stood while I yelled at it it to no avail. After a bit it abruptly ran into a dense thicket and stood there just out of site, blowing and puffing. I had to walk by that thicket. First feral hog I've ever run into that didn't run like a scalded cat.

For a number of reasons I didn't shoot it, not the least of which was I felt not certain that I could drop 400 pounds of inbound hog with that Mod 60 in just two or three seconds. That same week, mindful of that and the even bigger hogs I have run into from time to time, I bought a 10mm Glock 29.

The second occasion of apparent peril happened just a couple of weeks back: It is my usual practice to put in my daily five mile walk with the dogs early in the morning, but, not having been able to do that for a few days instead I headed out late at night, around midnight.

Here on the wrong side of town I was walking down a deserted stretch of street, empty lots, old businesses, no houses. I was walking on the left side sidewalk. An old, beat up eighties sedan cruises up from behind quite slowly, passes me and then makes a sudden abrupt turn to the left, stopping crossways in the middle of the street, driver's side toward me, maybe forty feet away from where I stood.

The driver was a rough-looking, older Black guy, thirties or forties. He was staring at me hard.

There's prob'ly a number of possible explanations for that sequence of events, but at that time, at that location, the most likely explanation still is that I was an intended victim.

For a moment there I really thought it was going to happen, to the point that I put a hand to the Glock (legally carried).

I dunno who would have prevailed, but I do know that the fact that MOST of my range time with handguns over the last two decades has been spent on close range "panic" drills at fifteen yards or less helped immensely just then. Even as the slow motion/tunnel vision thing began to kick in, I felt long familiar with the draw, aim and then shoot movements I was gonna make if it came to all that.

Just like that the guy drove off and it was over.

I'm sure that, had worse come to worst, I might have prevailed in both situations even with that familiar Model 60. But given a choice, in those situations I'd rather have eleven rounds of easy-to shoot 200 grain loads at 1,100 fps over five rounds of harder-to-shoot 180 grain loads moving slower than that.

The Model 60 is a fine handgun, it just ain't "enough gun" fer me anymore.

YMMV,

Birdwatcher
You attention whore. grin Can't you step out of your front door without some sort of dangerous thing happening to you? laugh

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Forgive me for not being up with the times but reading that thread linked from the S&W discussion page, someone mentioned a two piece barrel? Someone explain that to me, please.

Landrum

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You attention whore. Can't you step out of your front door without some sort of dangerous thing happening to you?

Well, no dark assassins in Ford Explorers yet.... wink

....and since I am currently averaging one scary situation every ten years, I hope to experience another three or four of these things.......

on a more serious note, the question that I hae been mulling over is whether I would have taken that route at that time of night had I not been armed. The answer is probably not.

A dangerous practice to fall into, taking risks you otherwise wouldn't.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Kinda like the old Dan Wesson guns, there is the barrel itself, basically a rifled tube threaded on each end, and a shroud, which is what you see on the outside.

The Dan Wesson guns used a nut to connect the two on the muzzle end that you could spin off to swap barrels. The Smiths are not intended to be swappable so the attachment is more "permanent", though I don't know exactly what it looks like.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just to add that the barrel is not really two pieces, one piece is the barrel, the other is the shroud.

Last edited by RufusG; 12/12/10. Reason: spellin
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I see, thank you.

Landrum

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 25aught6, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 54 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,924
Posts18,518,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.