Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am new to the Forum and trust the Savage 99 experts to be able to help me out. I presently own a 99C but have been searching for an older model F. I have come across one that is in great condition in .300 Savage that the owner claims to be a 1947. I am a little suspicious due to the fact that there is no serial number on the receiver! The only serial number that I could find was stamped on the underside of the buttplate. Every other 99 that I have seen has the serial number stamped on the bottom side of the receiver directly forward of the lever hinge boss. This particular rifle has a blued barrel, case hardened lever, but the receiver is polished metal. My question is this receiver a factory original or a copycat? I am not really looking for a collectors item but I am concerned about its originality. If you can offer some advise it would be appreciated. Thanks.

DeanA
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
sounds bad

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
keep shoppin...

Andrew
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Either a case of a stupid Bubba polishing job, or something more nefarious.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lauren
sounds bad

It's always something! And let me add, if it don't look like there is, look closer wink

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pictures help.....it's all speculation otherwise.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lunchbox special?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the receiver's been polished, odds are that they just polished the serial number right off of the metal. Can't be a 99F made in 1947 tho, only 99EG's were made in 1947. No serial number on the buttstock or forearm, just the buttplate?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reciever is likely from the factory....guess that was the real question. There would have been no F recievers in 47. So thats myth. It's just about impossible to say without actually seeing the rifle.

When it comes to choosing friends....I'm at an age where I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or, mebbe a really skilled Bubba made it in his basement and hadn't gotten around to putting a number on it. laugh (Well... it COULD happen!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it is worth, I had a 99G in .250 years ago that had the serial number either ground or filed off. I took the rifle to the State Patrol and their lab was able to re-establish the serial number for me. That didn't fix the butcher job on the receiver but they were able to assure me that no one was looking for that rifle. The sad part about it was that the only thing wrong with that gun was the butchered serial number, the rest of it was pretty good. And the re-established serial number did agree with the buttplate and forearm. Whoever butchered the serial number on the receiver didn't know that number was also on other parts...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Guy I know sent one back to Savage in the 60's for receiver replacement and his came back with numbered receiver. In most states it would be illegal to own that unnumbered gun. More than likely number was removed to hide identification.

Keep looking, lots of guns out their that are legal. Who needs the problems and the possibility of confiscation. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In most states it would be illegal to own that unnumbered gun.

Prior to the GCA of '68, serial numbers were not required. Not saying that this firearm has not been altered. I know I have several rifles that don't have serial numbers and the PO-PO haven't bum rushed the house yet. YMMV

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for all the comments guys. Much appreciated. The owner lives about an hour away from me...next time by I'm going to take a closer look to see if any numbers are visible on the buttstock and forestock. I will also take some photos to share. Just as an example of how great our Canadian Firearms Registry is this 99 is legally registered using only the number on the butt plate which could be removed and attached to almost any other gun you wished!!! I'll post some additional info when I get it...maybe in the next week or two.
Thanks to all.

DeanA

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.