Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Mild sweet shootin' and versatile 7mm-08; Rem 700 XCR or CDL, Warne Maximas, Leupold FX3 6x42mm, leather sling, hard case, cleaning kit and range membership. Budget rig would be a Stevens or Marlin bolt with a Redfield Revolution, same mounts or maybe Leupold DD. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks for the input fellas!

not sure i know what a 243 montucky is, but i understand 6x42.

budget isn't really set... i guess i figure i can be seperated from $750 for this exercise... maybe more if there was a need. i don't want to go top tier because it will be her first rifle, but i don't want her to have to replace anything because of performance issues.

targeted quarry will be predominantly whitetails on the prairie, though there is a definite possibility antelope and mule deer could enter the equation within the next 2 years. i doubt she'd get too interested in things like bears, caribou, or elk though if she does she will presumably have a job and can afford to outfit herself with more specialized stuff when she gets out of school.

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am going through the same thing with my wife trying to find a good rifle for her I have heard alot of 7/08 and 243. I am going to look at a browning and rem model 7. But there are tons of choices....

One my dad through out to me and a couple other guys here were the 25/06, 257 weatherby options. 25/06 being cheaper to shoot.

Last edited by JMort; 12/09/10.

take a kid hunting there will be no greater feeling than to watch them succeed.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
As I mentioned in the other thread, remington 700 sps youth .243 topped with a leupold 6X42 in talley lw's.

[Linked Image]

When they're full grown I'll get McMillan made to their preferred color, or we'll do a father/son father/daughter stock making project, their preference.

+1

I set-up my daughter with this same rig, but in a 7/08. IF she outgrows the youth stock just swap it out. I dropped this into a Ti to see how it would work. It fit like a glove and was well balanced. That's the route we'll go IF she wants to down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey big time, glad to see you around. A montucky is a Montana. In your stated price range, 700 SPS Youth or find a 700 ADL Youth in 7mm-08 and you may have enough left over for a new VX-II or pick up something off the classifieds. Someone had a 3-10 Grand Slam on the classfieds for $195 a few days ago.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by big time
if you were setting up a rifle for yourself with the intent of using it as a loaner for an aspiring young hunter that you also knew you would give the rifle to said young'un after her first kill or high school graduation, how would you set it up? what rifle, scope, etc?

i want my niece to have good, dependable equipment. she has demonstrated a real love for animals, hunting animals, and being outdoors. she bought herself some cold weather hunting gear w/ her summer work money and 2011 will be her 4th year of big game hunting (always w/ loaner guns), and she will be graduating high school and headed to the university of nebraska in fall 2011...

thanks for tips!

Is there any gun currently in your stable that you might bequeath to her? I think giving a rifle that already has its own story, is a far greater thing than picking one up off the shelf. You could say, "I took my 1st _________ with this rifle. Ah, I remember it well..." Or "I remember when your Grandpa first took me out to shoot this rifle...".

Of course, all this goes out the window if it's a .378 Weatherby, and she's an 80 lb. 12 year old. But if there's a reasonable match between rifle & shooter, and it's a rifle that you could see handing down in the future, anyway, why not do it now? That way, you'll get to see her enjoy it while you're still able to take to the field with her.

FWIW, I'm suggesting this with the knowledge that she's shown a tremendous amount of interest, & demonstrated the buy-in of using her own $ to buy the clothes to participate. In today's "all about me" mindset among youth, her actions speak extremely well of her.

Now, if there's no rifle you own that works for her, I'd suggest you take her to handle a few, & see what picks her. My 1st rifle was a surprise to me, and a wonderful surprise, to be sure. However, it didn't handle well for me, and that damned 18�" carbine barrel made enough racket at each trigger pull to help me develop a flinch that lingered for years.

If we have to pick cartridges, I'd suggest a 7mm-08. I don't notice any difference in recoil between a .243 with 100 grain bullets, & a 7mm-08 (well, a 7x57) with 139 grainers. Then again, she might. Ideally, you'd take her to the range, and shoot a .243, 6 mm Remington, 6mm-06, .257 Roberts, .25 Souper, .25-06, .257 Weatherby, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 7x57, 7x57R (just to make sure), .280, etc., and see which one she likes best. Oh, and it would be prudent to shoot the AI version of each one of those, too, just to be thorough.

Or, you could flip a coin to pick one. Whatever you choose, take her shooting often enough to become proficient in shooting from field positions, and then remember to bring the camera with you on opening day.

FC

PS - Since you asked about scopes, I don't know that you could do much better than a 6x42 in South Dakota. If you can spend $150 or better and stick with respected brand names, you're likely going to end up with serviceable glass.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 12/09/10.

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well, what are you looking to spend on this?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (117LBS, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 47 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,730
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.