-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know it's not truly a 1911 clone, but if you had the opportunity to buy a 1911-pattern Llama .45 ACP, what would you pay?

It seems reliable, has a great trigger, smooth wood grips, and bluing is about 85% with a few scratches. Been wanting a .45 for a while, but usually the ones I see are out of my price range.

I'm wondering what the right price is if I were to buy it low and trade up. Any thoughts?

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It wouldn't be much because I have had such poor luck with Llama guns. The slides seem to be pretty soft and allow lots of wear real fast. Also keeping the mags feeding was a constant problem. Please realize that I haven't even handled one in 20 years now, so YMMV.

But to answer your question. I would be hard pushed to give more than $100 for one. Bad memories linger a long time.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. I bought it. The price was $100, and I got 2� boxes of ammo plus a set of RCBS carbide dies for another $20. I'll probably trade up at some point.

Funny you should say that the slides seem soft. Elsewhere someone was of the opinion that they're pretty hard. I'm guessing it relates to the issue of inconsistent QC.

The guy who owned this pistol had some really nice stuff and took care of it. I'm guessing he had some trikker work done on this gun because I've never felt a better trikker on a semi-auto pistol.

Thanks. Haven't shot it yet, but maybe this weekend I'll take it deer hunting and snap off a few rounds to see how it functions.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I certainly hope it works good for you and you get lots of enjoyment shooting it. I killed quite a few jackrabbits with mine 'back in the day'. smile and learned a lot about shooting and reloading with it. Sounds like you paid a fair price and got a good deal.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You can't beat it for that price. I'd think you could easily get $150-200 out of it at a gunshow. Congrats.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one and love it, I had a bit of work done to it but it fires and feeds flawlessly. I gave $200 for it and would buy another if I could find one . You got a great deal for 100 bucks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's a reliable gun, it's worth every penny you paid for it and you shouldn't have too much trouble tripling your money. I'll take reliable Llama .45's for $100 all day long.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The owner died, and his widow asked his son-in-law (a friend of mine) to dispose of the stuff. He said he'd pay me for selling some of it on eBay. I think I'll tell him I'll sell the stuff in exchange for the .45 ACP dies, so I might not have to give anything for them.

I can't identify a few of the items in the box he sent home with me last night. Some of the dies are not marked, and it's hard to tell what they are. I suspect they'll do well to bring $10-$15 per on eBay. There is a balance beam from a powder scale, so the scale must be somewhere. Also, a bunch of shell holders (Herters and two other brands), plus some stuff like primer seating pins, decapping pins, etc.

He also has a monstrous Herters press, which I don't want to deal with due to the weight. And there is still one box o' stuff he hasn't gone through yet.

The stuff I can't ID, I might line up for a photo and post it here at the Campfire and ask people to tell me what it is.

Steve

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.