Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The other post was interesting and wonder how this will turn out.

Hours per week or how ever you want.

Also interested in how you go about it?

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wish I could say equal parts of both, but in reality, i live 1 mile from the gym and get there considerably more than the range, hence my 400 yard limit. Working up to one of my elk hunts, I work out 1-2 hours a day 4-6 days a week and then also do doubles. I make it shooting 3-4 times prior to the hunt and again at the range after the trip.

Last edited by salmonhead; 12/11/10.

Salmonhead
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I'm desperate. My ass has gotten burned on the last two topics so now I need to divert attention.

Yep..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If I had horses to haul me around, and pack out my gear, meat, and 10lb rifle, I wouldn't spend a minute in the gym..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You think Burnsy is going to sign another contract here after this one is up?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking NO.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm almost 61 and i still enjoy running, which is the only physical conditioning i do these day. i make it a point to exercise one hour per day, usually around lunch time as i eat some type of snack an hour after each run. i don't run on sundays. i'm retired, so i can run in the am or pm if something fouls up my noon plan. one will find a way to do the things one enjoys.

as for shooting, i don't shoot past 300 yds, so i rarely practice further than 300. if the animal is out past 300, either i try to get closer, or let it walk. there is always tomorrow (God willing).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I like to backpack hunt for elk and deer, and being in good condition is a prerequisite. Plus, the older I get, the more I need to work at it. I hit the gym 5 days a week, and do long walks on the weekend, with a loaded pack as it gets closer to hunting season.

When I bowhunt, in the months before the season I'll shoot at least every other day for a half hour at a time. With the muzzleloader, not nearly as much, 4-5 times in the two months before the season.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That being said, I live 1.5 miles away from where I shoot. I live 6 miles away from the gym.

I do my morning p90x with a buddy at 6:30am. Get done about 7:45.. Pretty good workout. I'm also tossing in lap swimming for some low impact cardio 2-3x a week.

When I shoot, I typically shoot from 1-400 yards. In the spring when I'm all bucked up, I'll shoot almost every day, and make sure my stable of rifles are ready for the coming season. I'm a tad burned out from many days in the field this season, so I'm fishing instead of shooting.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
You think Burnsy is going to sign another contract here after this one is up?

Do you really think he cares what you think of his system, or that your OPINION will make or break his business?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I think you might want to reconsider as there is still a tremendous amount of physical effort when using stock, unless you are on a hunt where others will handle the stock and ride lead. Not really the point and �gym� time usually doesn�t pay off as well as real outdoor conditioning.

For me the hills and the range are a lot closer than a �gym�

Rancho,

Got to you did I. Think next time before you post and I won�t have to do it again.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remember, it's a two way street, an a lot of folks are watching traffic go by.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And it ain't going your way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rancho,

Got to you did I. Think next time before you post and I won�t have to do it again.

LOL!! You going to try to get me banned?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I think you might want to reconsider as there is still a tremendous amount of physical effort when using stock, unless you are on a hunt where others will handle the stock and ride lead. Not really the point and �gym� time usually doesn�t pay off as well as real outdoor conditioning.

Rancho,

my back has hurt alot more after shoeing a dozen horses in a day than hiking in 6 miles.

mercy triumphs over judgement
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm only attempting to get maximum exposure for my sale, thanks.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...689624/F_S_257_Weatherby_Mag#Post4689624

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Agreed that time in the hills are good for you, but being it's damn tough to top being in the gym year round, as well as being active in the outdoors.

Come to my town and take a look at who is in the gym early in the morning, all year long. All big game hunters, and some extremely successful ones too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
If I had horses to haul me around, and pack out my gear, meat, and 10lb rifle, I wouldn't spend a minute in the gym..

Hey hey hey!!! Horses and mules get you and your gear into the general area, but you normally have to climb straight up the mountain from there if you plan to get a shot. Not always, but that is how most people do it. I ride in about 10 miles to my camp, but then climb a couple thousand vertical feet across deadfall and all sorts of other crap in the dark to get to where I hunt.

Getting the animal out is another story. Horses can also save a hunt in warmer weather by getting the meat out faster. It also takes a LOT of work to load up a packstring with everything needed, including feed. It's a different kind of "in shape". I'll bet lots of strong hikers would have a hard time preparing a packstring, and getting on/off to adjust loads.

I know you're being relatively sarcastic, but don't lump all us stock users into Mr. Burn's catagory.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Not trying to disparage the gym Calvin.

I just don't do it. Probably should but we all have to prioritize our time.

Steelhead says BUMP laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by whambasted

Rancho,

my back has hurt alot more after shoeing a dozen horses in a day than hiking in 6 miles.

Hiking in has never hurt me. It's the hike out with camp/meat that tends to put things into perspective.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (320090T, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 270cowboy, 31 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,847
Posts18,517,487
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.