Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My wife was in San Francisco last week on business, stepped off a curb into one of those semi storm drain sort of small culvert like things and nearly broke her ankle. As it is, very bad high ankle sprain, mucho swelling, partially torn ligaments.

She was staying at the Fairmont Hotel which has a doctor they referred her to, $250 to exam her and recommend she go to the hospital and get xrayed. He prescribed some ibuprophen for swelling and vichoden for pain, they picked up crutches and the drugs at Walgreens(cheaper than it would have been here I think) then off to the hospital. Lesley waited about 5 minutes to see the Doc who got 6 xrays done right away, put it in a spint(xrays were probably negative) and gave her a referral to an orthopedist.

Lesley was surprised and impressed by how fast she was seen and they kind of shocked that nobody in the hospital on Saturday could tell her what the bill would be other than to say we would get it in the mail.

She got back yesterday, it was really bad so I took to our family Doc, it took 3 hours to get all the same stuff again and $121 for an inflatable boot.

We have good insurance, plus she was at a company function when she hurt herself so I'm pretty sure it will all be covered, but what do you guys think it will cost?

Exam in the emerg room, xrays and a splint, how much?.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$3200

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm guessing $2,000 +/-.

Hope your Lady is okay.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Agreed. $2500. You're paying for your wife, and the two people who came in after her that paid zilch.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hope everything is fine.
a couple of years ago I ended up in the ED with a kidney stone. I was there for less than 3hours, got a CT scan, 1 liter of IV fluid, 1 round of morphine and ketorolac and CBC and urine test. It was over $8000.
The insurance paid everything since I worked for the same university that runs the hospital, but it was shocking to say the least.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by derby_dude
I'm guessing $2,000 +/-.

Hope your Lady is okay.

Thanks Derby, she's in pretty rough shape today but i'm sure it will get better fairly quickly.

I'll report back when we get the bill.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Agreed. $2500. You're paying for your wife, and the two people who came in after her that paid zilch.

I guess a hospital must not be able to insist on payment prior to treatment, but we were surprised they are just mailing us a bill. If they do we will pay it, but it would be pretty expensive for them to pursue us if we chose not to pay, likely not worth the legal fees if they had to sue us in Canada.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
San Francisco is an asylum city. They have illegals in there every day so they probably assume that every 2d or 3d person won't pay.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I find it incredible you weren't billed before you left the hospital...especially being from another country. They don't expect payment.

All American

All the time
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
but wait....Obama told us Americans are dying in the streets because they can't afford medical insurance......you mean....he lied? and hospitals really do have to treat everybody with an emergency? imagine that.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy of mine lives in Novato, a town 45 minutes north of SF. Getting his paper in the morning and forgetting that he was having the porch resurfaced, he fell through the joists and knocked himself out (Gawd, I wish I had that on tape). Anyway, he had an ambulance trip to the hospital, an overnight stay, a scan of some type (MRI or CT?), and a consultative visit from a neurologist. Bill: $25,000. No $hit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm guessing SF has some of the highest medical bills in the USA...

I guarantee your buddy had insurance!

Last edited by Stan V; 12/15/10.

All American

All the time
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Stan V
I find it incredible you weren't billed before you left the hospital...especially being from another country. They don't expect payment.

I disagree. They likely don't expect to be paid the full amount, although most providers know that Canadian healthcare plans are pretty good about paying. Payment will be at a discount. Like any HMO payment, including Medicare.

Total bill will be about 2K-2.5K, I'd guess.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket

I disagree. They likely don't expect to be paid the full amount, although most providers know that Canadian healthcare plans are pretty good about paying. Payment will be at a discount. Like any HMO payment, including Medicare.

Total bill will be about 2K-2.5K, I'd guess.

I see, you're looking at this as a health provider bill paid by Canada?

$2-2.5 would be an amazing low figure from SF, Kali.

found this:
http://travelinsurancefile.com/always-up-to-date/alert-to-snowbirds/

Last edited by Stan V; 12/15/10.

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by John_G
Buddy of mine lives in Novato, a town 45 minutes north of SF. Getting his paper in the morning and forgetting that he was having the porch resurfaced, he fell through the joists and knocked himself out (Gawd, I wish I had that on tape). Anyway, he had an ambulance trip to the hospital, an overnight stay, a scan of some type (MRI or CT?), and a consultative visit from a neurologist. Bill: $25,000. No $hit.

wow, total bill for my daughters knee surgery last Jan was less than that and they screwed two chunks of bone back together.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well my visit to the ER and then a week in hospital for Pancreatitis and gall bladder, including gall bladder removal totaled $137,879!

My open heart in '92 was $113.000.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T LEE
Well my visit to the ER and then a week in hospital for Pancreatitis and gall bladder, including gall bladder removal totaled $137,879!

My open heart in '92 was $113.000.

And people get pizzed with insurance premiums.....

All American

All the time
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last trip to the ER was a year ago when our youngest son got his arm broken by a kid stepping on it. Lesson learned, don't slide into bases, it ain't worth it. I think we were there for all of 6 hours, he got some x-rays, pain killer, they knocked him out to set the bone and in case they needed to do surgery.

I honestly don't know what the total was, but even with insurance we forked over about $2k. AK is one of the most expensive states for medical care.

They did a great job, he recovered quickly with full mobility, so I'm not complaining. We kept a loose tally of all the different docs and nurses that saw him, and I swear there were 2 dozen people in those 6 hours.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
but wait....Obama told us Americans are dying in the streets because they can't afford medical insurance......you mean....he lied? and hospitals really do have to treat everybody with an emergency? imagine that.
..... (Let me finish your statement)

..... which is why a number of hospitals/emergency rooms have closed in the past 2 decades. Many folks do not have health insurance, so the hospital renders emergency care, is not reimbursed and, then passes on the loss to others, thus making medical care even higher. If they cannot pass them on (medical insurers limit the reimbursed costs), the hospital takes it from their reserves, thus depleting the reserves, followed by closing their doors.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm guessing SF has some of the highest medical bills in the USA...

I guarantee your buddy had insurance!

His insurance covered all but 3 grand. Still pricey, IMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,640
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.