Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Hello everyone. I would like to get a new Elk rifle but for the first time in my life I am not sure what gun / cartridge to get. I feel like my wife when she is looking for a pair of shoes in the shoe store. I have a rifle that I have been using for years on Elk, it works but is a bit lack luster in the take down dept, so I am looking for a bit more knock down in this new rifle. My concern is that I am missing or not considering options out there because I am unaware of them. So I am hoping you all may have some ideas. So far the only two things I am certain on is that I want stainless and would prefer synthetic stock. I have been looking at the following cartridges .325wsm, 8mm Rem Mag, .338 win or UM. I have looked at the Ruger All weather and the Browning A-bolt, but to be honest I have never even seen an A-bolt in use so it hard to form an opinion based on first hand use. Really I am so frusterated, I would like to have it bought and up for the 2011 season so I need to make a decision and get to work on it. So please any ideas suggestions and advice would be great, thanks for your time helping me out.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Because there are quite a few rifles/cartridges to choose from, you`ll have your work cut out for you.

You`ll read recos from the 6.5mms up to and including the 338s and a liitle larger with everything in-between, so hang on.

Best estimate on your average hunting distances?
Your recoil tolerance is?
For easier carryability, type of terrain?
Total rifle weight preferred?

Its not just the cartridge you need to consider, it`s also the rifle too. Both go hand in hand here.

Enjoy the recos from our elite group and I`ll chime in later after (if you will), answer those questions.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
XJ,

Not knowing what you currently use for elk, in my limited experience, "knock down" power on a critter like an elk is largely shot placement and bullet construction. I have several friends I hunt with who use a .270 on elk and do fine. My elk have all been taken with a 30-06 and I have never felt undergunned. I'd imagine any of the calibers you mention would work well.

With that said, it's always a good day when shopping for a new gun! As to brand, if it were me, I'd find a well-stocked gun shop and throw up as many rifles as I could and figure out what "fits" the best. Almost all the "popular" rifles shoot fairly well, but unless the gun is comfortable when up to your shoulder chances are you won't see it's full potential.

Lot's of good guys here with lot's more experience than me, so I suspect you'll get some good advice.

Enjoy the shopping experience! Are you gonna make the wife stand around in the gun shop while you "try on" a bunch of different rifles? "Honey, how does this Winchester look with my Realtree AP?"

Chris

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks guys for the quick replies.
I currently use a 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Partitions, Everyone says I am crazy but I really do not like it for Elk. This new gun will be used for early morning and late evenings when I hunt the open country, so ranges would be 50-400ish yards. As for recoil tollerace I think I am ok. I hunt the timber during the mid day hours with my 45-70 guide gun and according to the recoil calcualtor it produces 35 ftlbs of recoil and its no prob in the least to shoot on a bench. I am not sure where that puts me with other guns. Terrain is open rolling meadows to steep mountains, just depends on the day & weather. Yikes, rifle weight, I would think up to 9.5 lbs would be alright. And as far as knock down goes, that is really not a good explanation of what I am looking for. When I shoot an Elk with my 45-70 there is a definate reaction to the shot and bullet impact, and they hardly go anywhere. With my 7mm they seem to "take a hit" really well. I am very aware that I will not get a rifle that is goimg to lay them down like a coyote hit with my 7mm. I am just hoping to reduce thier travel distance after the shot. See you guys already have me thinking of stuff I had not thought of! thanks!

Last edited by WyoXJ; 12/16/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoXJ
Hello everyone. I would like to get a new Elk rifle but for the first time in my life I am not sure what gun / cartridge to get. I feel like my wife when she is looking for a pair of shoes in the shoe store. I have a rifle that I have been using for years on Elk, it works but is a bit lack luster in the take down dept, so I am looking for a bit more knock down in this new rifle. My concern is that I am missing or not considering options out there because I am unaware of them. So I am hoping you all may have some ideas. So far the only two things I am certain on is that I want stainless and would prefer synthetic stock. I have been looking at the following cartridges .325wsm, 8mm Rem Mag, .338 win or UM. I have looked at the Ruger All weather and the Browning A-bolt, but to be honest I have never even seen an A-bolt in use so it hard to form an opinion based on first hand use. Really I am so frusterated, I would like to have it bought and up for the 2011 season so I need to make a decision and get to work on it. So please any ideas suggestions and advice would be great, thanks for your time helping me out.

If you want a stainless 8mm mag I believe that you would have to build one. I have shot quite a few elk with a 8mm mag and you will not go wrong with it or any of the rest on your list. As to the Abolt, I have owned one it will be my last.

8mmwpiti

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thats easy: Try the new Extreme Weather winchester model 70. It is stainless, synthetic, has a fluted barrel, upgraded trigger (supposedly), and has a 1 moa guarantee. I've been hearing these are shooters and the 325 wsm you mentioned weighs in at 6 lbs and 12 oz's. It is also CRF if that is of any concern, bsa.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I will tell you to pick one with a good long track record first of all! I myself like the .300 Win mag or the .338 Win mag for shooting elk or other big game. There is a difference in recoil for some of these calibers verses the others and 5 pounds of recoil can and does make a difference to the majority of hunters.

Rifle wise you just can't hardly beat the Model 70 Winchester rifle...."The Rifleman's Rifle" period. It already has all the "bells & whistles" installed on it at the factory. Now those being the "Big Claw Extractor", Control Round Feed Magazine" and the only real safety in the industry, the "Three Positon Safety". Yes, it's the real deal in a rifle your going to hunt big game with and bring home the trophy's.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tonk
Well I will tell you to pick one with a good long track record first of all! I myself like the .300 Win mag or the .338 Win mag for shooting elk or other big game. There is a difference in recoil for some of these calibers verses the others and 5 pounds of recoil can and does make a difference to the majority of hunters.

Rifle wise you just can't hardly beat the Model 70 Winchester rifle...."The Rifleman's Rifle" period. It already has all the "bells & whistles" installed on it at the factory. Now those being the "Big Claw Extractor", Control Round Feed Magazine" and the only real safety in the industry, the "Three Positon Safety". Yes, it's the real deal in a rifle your going to hunt big game with and bring home the trophy's.

Very well said Tonk. You left out the part of it lasting longer than he will and he can pass it down to his grandchildren too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Savage has a new Model 16 Bear Hunter in 325 WSM. Accutrigger, fluted stainless 23" barrel, synthetic Accustock, etc.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by prm
Savage has a new Model 16 Bear Hunter in 325 WSM. Accutrigger, fluted stainless 23" barrel, synthetic Accustock, etc.

How much?

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
338 Win, 35 Whelen, .375 H&H would all fit your bill nicely. Or build a .358 WSM wildcat on a Kimber action! smile

.325 is a fun cartridge and the two elk I killed with it were very impressed. It's a handloader's deal though, and you won't have as many bullet choices. The two .325's I've run were both pretty easy to load for.

I like Remintgons and Kimbers myself... My buddy has an A-bolt in .338 he really likes; it's been his main "big" rifle for pushing 20 years I bet. Been to
Alaska a few times, couple grizzlies, few elk, moose etc. ABolts don't seem quite right to me, just a feel thing or maybe the Euro-look... but his sure has been a good tool for him.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted By: prm

How much?

MSRP is $973, but they never sell for MSRP. They are new and I haven't seen any of the new ones listed so I don't know what the real cost is going to be.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm still trying to figure out why a 7mm Magnum with 160 grain bullets is not a good enough elk gun for you. As for "knockdown". No such thing. mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mentioned the Remington 8 Mag in your post. One of my favorite cartridges but not a popular one with the masses. If you like different go for it, will fit your needs for elk and there are several good bullets available. Partitions and TSX's in the 200 grain weights. Pretty much a reloading affair as I don't think factory ammo is available.
Do not know what your budget for a build is but there are plenty of Rem 700 magnum rifles around like the 7mm/300 mags to build on. Have IT&D barrel it with a #3 or #4 contour and bed it in a McMillan sporter stock.

Good luck on your project.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
35 Whelen

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No vast experience on Elk but I haven't been able to tell much difference between a 7mm, 300 or 375 mag in their terminal effect. The 375 seems to have more mojo and visible reaction to a hit but might just be my imagination.

The .358 Norma just seems to be made to order for a middle bore Elk rifle but I have only shot one off the bench. Likewise for the Remington big 8.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

WyoXJ:

One manufacturer that you should include in your research is Thompson Center. http://www.tcarms.com/ They have been making muzzle loaders and hunting hand guns for several decades, and have earned a solid reputation for high quality.

Smith & wesson is the oldest firearms manufacturer in the U.S.A. but they have been primarily manufacturing handguns. A few years ago, Smith & Wesson bought T/C intending to use them as a platform for getting into the rifle business. S&W made a business decision that will benefit all sportsmen/women by choosing to offer rifles that are guaranteed to shoot MOA out of the box at a reasonable price. Only a few other manufacturers make that guarantee and they are all high end companies offering expensive rifles. The word is getting around and before long, I suspect that many, maybe most, rifle manufacturers will have to improve the quality of their production rifles in order to compete.

T/C still offers hunting handguns and muzzle loaders and the Icon is Thompson Center's top of the line offering for center fire rifles. It is wood/blue and it is offered in many calibers from as small as .204 Ruger up to .338 mag. It's a fine looking rifle.

I own a T/C Icon Weathershield 30-06 and it does shoot MOA right out of the box. It has a Hogue overmolded stock and a Ceracoated barrel, so it's ugly but extremely durable. I have used it hunting deer, elk, antelope and caribou for two seasons and have no complaints.

I also own a T/C Icon Precision Hunter .223 that shoots sub-MOA and is mercilous prairie dog thumper.

T/C also offers the Venture which has a synthetic stock and blue barrel, guaranteed to shoot MOA out of the box, for $480. IMO it's the best value on the market today. They also offer the Venture Predator with camo stock and ceracoated barrel for $100 more.

My next firearm purchase will be a T/C Venture in 25-06. I plan to justify the purchase by telling my wife that I'm buying it for my grandson and daughter-in-law.

BTW I've shot 30 elk since 1978 and used a 30-06 to kill every one of them. That's all the knock down power that I need.

KC

Last edited by KC; 12/16/10.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by mtmuley
I'm still trying to figure out why a 7mm Magnum with 160 grain bullets is not a good enough elk gun for you. As for "knockdown". No such thing. mtmuley

Dont waste your time trying to figure that one out lol. I have been trying to figure it out for 15 years, even after different loads & bullets I still feel the same way......wish I didnt though I love the gun to death.

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
That Winchester Extreme weather looks excellent! I am ashamed to admit I have never seen one. That in a .338 would fit the bill, I need to hold one and see how it fits. Thank you all for the great information, I feel like I am getting somewhere now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check this one out. I am not particularly fond of the stock but you might like it.

Ruger Alaskan

Where are you at in SE Wyoming? I am in Cheyenne & if you want to try a 375 to get a feel for recoil I can let you shoot a few rounds through mine.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dont waste your time trying to figure that one out lol. I have been trying to figure it out for 15 years, even after different loads & bullets I still feel the same way......wish I didnt though I love the gun to death.

Stoke that rifle with 140 or 150gr TTSX bullets, and I'm betting you'll be pleased...

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
WyoJoe I have looked at them, but I am not sure what to think to be honest. If I remember right the 375 Ruger should shoot wtih the H&H even with the shorter barrel..........I think, its been a while since I looked. I am in Cheyenne as well, nice day out lol 8�, wifes car would not start.....

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

Stoke that rifle with 140 or 150gr TTSX bullets, and I'm betting you'll be pleased...

That could be very true, everyone tells me its a great Elk round, just wish I could see it first hand lol. I have loaded three different bullets for and in two weights.
I used the Hornady 162 SPBT.........um never again. I used these on my first Elk and they came apart badly. It was not a good.
So then I loaded it with 150gr Partitions, these where a huge improvement.
After I ran out of those I decided to try some 160gr Accubonds and they worked well, shot my best bull with them.
Now I am using the 160gr Partitions. I like them, but to be honest I think the Accubond is where I will go back to and stick with once I use up the 600 Partitions I have.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think what you shoot matters a whole lot so long as it is "adequate", unless you break big structural things, they're most likely going to run 'til the oxygen in the blood already in the brain is used up.

The only elk I ever saw truly drop in its tracks was one that got a broken neck via a 180 grain .308 partition from my .300 win mag. I'd have been really impressed except for the fact I was aiming for behind its shoulder. frown Rather be lucky than good, huh?

.338 is, IMHO, pretty hard to beat as an elk cartridge, but if you think it, or anything else, is going to yank the carpet out from under elk your 7mm mag with 160 partitions let trot a ways, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have a 7Mag and when the time came to want to "step up" I didn't see much use in a .300 as that seemed a pretty small step. I went to the .340 Weatherby (.338 on steroids). A .375 is actually an interesting alternative also.

While I love what the .340 brings ballistically as I get older I'm less inclined to enjoy lugging it around. (I've still got that 7 and while accurate it's not too light either) Sometime soon I'm going to really start wanting to get my freak on and have a really light rifle built in some as yet determined caliber. As it is I'm already doing a large chunk my hunting of late with a light little .308 and 168gr TSX's.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm not in elk country so don't have a lot of personal experience with it, but a friend of mine that's hunted elk for over 30 years started out with a 7MM RM and was satisfied till he tried a 338. Never looked back. He loves it.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 70 extreme weather in 325wsm would be my pick

I use Model 70 Super Grade Stainless in 300wsm with 180NAB
Also have a BLR in 325wsm

If you can afford a custom build and want a freight train of flat shooting power build a 375rum. The 375 ultra mag has more velocity and energy than any factory cartridge in it's class.
This would fix your quest for DRT grin

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by US_Patriot

If you can afford a custom build and want a freight train of flat shooting power build a 375rum. The 375 ultra mag has more velocity and energy than any factory cartridge in it's class.
This would fix your quest for DRT grin

Some .378 Bee fans might want to contest that. smile

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a great fan of the .375's and were it me & had to have a stainless/synthetic rifle this is the route I would go.

Stainless Ruger Hawkeye in .300 Win

I would then take it up to the gunsmith up by Curt Gowdy Lake & have him rebarrel it to .375 Ruger.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good point...378 Bee would Bee OK with me too... wink

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
I have a 7Mag and when the time came to want to "step up" I didn't see much use in a .300 as that seemed a pretty small step. I went to the .340 Weatherby (.338 on steroids). A .375 is actually an interesting alternative also.

While I love what the .340 brings ballistically as I get older I'm less inclined to enjoy lugging it around. (I've still got that 7 and while accurate it's not too light either) Sometime soon I'm going to really start wanting to get my freak on and have a really light rifle built in some as yet determined caliber. As it is I'm already doing a large chunk my hunting of late with a light little .308 and 168gr TSX's.

Got me laffin' for several reasons. Mostly at myself probably.

I'm figuring out that the lightest thing you can reasonably do on a 700 action is still heavier than I want to carry. After picking up a Kimber Montana in .308, all my Remingtons gained about 8 pounds. Since the Kimber shoots good, it's hard not to take it hunting. Just found a 168 grain TSX load it likes, too.

I'm starting to think along the lines of, unless you happen to have a Rem Ti action to work with, screw Remington for hunting rifles, use them for heavy varmint platforms, and go with Kimber for packing rifles.

My .308 doesn't quite have the reach I want. I'm thinking about a "bigger" rifle. I've got a custom .338 which has disappointed me once too often, but instead of building a general purpose deer/elk rifle on that, I'm thinking about turning it into a Sendero type thing and picking up another Kimber for general use. Waffling between .270 WSM and .325 WSM. I think I'd like the .325 hunting elk, but I'm fond of .277 160 grain partitions. Could be the .270 WSM would be more generally useful for me. On the other hand, like you said, I have a thing for .375. Heavy, but what a cool hammer.

Dunno. Gotta save a lot of money before its anything but a theoretical question. Every time I get started, get a couple hundred bucks rounded up, a new fly rod gets in front of me. Itsa commie plot, or maybe an elk plot ...

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If your rifle is going to be a dedicated Elk rifle then the 338 WM or the 338 RUM would be hard to beat . I don't know how tough you are, but some just can't handle the recoil the 338 puts out, especially the RUM'S. The 7mm RM with 160 gr Partition is all you really need.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

WyoXJ:

One manufacturer that you should include in your research is Thompson Center. http://www.tcarms.com/

+1

thegreat thing about t/c you can always change barrels without having to buy a new gun - that way if ya don't like it you can easily change and swap/trade/sell - what ever and try different caliper without the great expence of buying a new gun eveytime -

sounds like u r looking for something to drop an elk in his tracks more than just kill one!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Dunno. Gotta save a lot of money before its anything but a theoretical question. Every time I get started, get a couple hundred bucks rounded up, a new fly rod gets in front of me. Itsa commie plot, or maybe an elk plot ...

Tom

Now you got me laughing. I saved myself a lot of flyrod money when I had my Dan Craft FT built years ago. It's a 5wt but still throws a 4 or 6 (and probably could a 3 or 7) better than I can cast. Other than my 6pc pure packing rod (the DC is a 4pc) I just stopped craving trout rods.

If I ever run across a .300 Montana at a price I like that shoots straight I'm afraid it might just be like that flyrod. Other than the sentimental use of my old Marlin 30-30 in the deer woods there'd be precious little reason to ever pull anything else from the safe.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bea175
If your rifle is going to be a dedicated Elk rifle then the 338 WM or the 338 RUM would be hard to beat . I don't know how tough you are, but some just can't handle the recoil the 338 puts out, especially the RUM'S. The 7mm RM with 160 gr Partition is all you really need.

Put me on the list of people who couldn't handle the .338 RUM recoil. Recoil was manageable on the shoulder, but perhaps because I crawl a stock badly, I kept getting clubbed in the center of the forehead by the scope. HARD.

Otherwise, if there's a perfect rifle for how I hunt elk, a 700 XCR in .338 RUM has to be it.

.338 win mag is not near so bad. .375 H&H is not near so bad.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 12/17/10.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Tom

Now you got me laughing. I saved myself a lot of flyrod money when I had my Dan Craft FT built years ago. It's a 5wt but still throws a 4 or 6 (and probably could a 3 or 7) better than I can cast. Other than my 6pc pure packing rod (the DC is a 4pc) I just stopped craving trout rods.

If I ever run across a .300 Montana at a price I like that shoots straight I'm afraid it might just be like that flyrod. Other than the sentimental use of my old Marlin 30-30 in the deer woods there'd be precious little reason to ever pull anything else from the safe.

2010 was my first year with a 300WSM Montana. Very easy to carry, a little much from the bench, but didn't notice it in the field. Alot of power in a light package. I would recommend it. Accurate too.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Logically I should go with the .300 WSM, I just can't warm up to .30 caliber. If my .308 Montana didn't shoot so good I'd probably turn it into a .257 Roberts.

I gotta laugh thinking about the number of rifles I've bought that didn't shoot, then the one in a caliber I don't have any love for that does. "Someone up there" must be laughing at me. Oh well, I think it's pretty funny too.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WyoXJ--this is just me, I totally love the big 7's for all game and have killed a lot of elk with them. I'also used the 300's and various big 33's quite a bit. And the 375's a bit.

If, I were in your shoes slamo dunk I'd grab a 700 XCR in 375 H&H, chop the tube to 23". Then I'd add a 260 Accu, 6x36 Leo with dotz, talley's and go forth and beat the living heckola out of an ark or three of elk!

Without an hesitation and or reservation I'd skip right past the big 30's and the big 33's and rock on with the 375.

Best of luck to you!

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/17/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my favorite Elk rifles is my 338 RUM. I have now got the rifle just under eight pounds . I use Rel 22 and the Nosler 225 gr Partition. I now use a straight Nikon 6x42 Nikon on this rifle. I just don't pay much attention to recoil . I don't like recoil but i don't really mine it and don't usually shoot over 20 rounds per session off the bench. I like my rifle light because Elk hunting you carry the rifle a hell of a lot more than you shoot it. I have yet to feel any recoil when shooting at a Elk.

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I have a 325 WSM and if you are considering it or a 338 WM may I suggest a 338-06? You get all the advantages of the superior bullet selection of the 338 cal with the reduced case capacity of the 325.

Take a look at the numbers; the -06 does pretty much everything the WM does with less powder, and when compared w/ the .325 there is no "pretty much". The 338-06 is all the 325 could ever hope to be and more.

Good luck,

efw

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
All this talk of .338s here is a .338 Ultra Maxx in action with a 300 SKM it's like a edge improved. turn it up it's hard to hear. grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RD29c6w40w

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
All of this has brought a few thoughts out that I find entertaining. First is recoil, one thing I have learned is that its personal, and individual. For instance my father is an average sized guy 6ft 2 and guessing 230lbs and an .30-06 is all he can tollerate. My best friends wife is a little thing and she will shoot a .416 without a thought. I have learned body size does not seem matter much in recoil, hell if it did I would be set lol.
Next is one that just occured to me. Maybe the distance my Elk have traveled after being shot is normal? I always thought they are going to far, but then again my hunting buddies use a .300wby & a .340wby and they are the only comparason I have. Thier Elk never seem to cover the distance mine do with a good double lung shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love my 338 RUM sporter weight 700 that is ported and has a Limbsaver pad. Recoils about like a 30-06 and is murder on elk out as far as I can hit them with 225 gr Accubonds.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WyoXJ,

Just load up a 140 or 150gr TTSX in that 7Mag, like I say, and you'll thank me later... smile

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Savage Weather Warrior in 7mm

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by kinser

If I was in the market for another Deer / Antelope setup that would be a top choice of mine. I hope you all do not get me wrong I love the 7mm, shoots flat, light recoil, I love mine ............just not on Elk.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Well how about a Savage Weather Warrior in 338 then ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kinser

If I was in the market for another Deer / Antelope setup that would be a top choice of mine. I hope you all do not get me wrong I love the 7mm, shoots flat, light recoil, I love mine ............just not on Elk.

Sigh.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thinkin I better clarify that. Didn't mean it as a poke at all.

I've just been researching 7mm on elk, and damned if for every experienced person who says a 7mm kills 'em just as fast/well as a bigger round.... there's an experienced person who says otherwise!

It makes me, well, "sigh"... and load up my .325 or .338! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I did not take it as a poke. I am used to it to be honest, most think I am nuts or assumes I am a bad shot. Well my hunting buddy doesn't, over the years he is as amazed as I am at the distance they go with good solid shots. What bothers me is I did not listen to the one person I should have, my uncle. He is a Montana guide, and he hit it dead on when I asked him about the 7mm. You'll love it till you hunt Elk is what he told me. He recommended a .300wm at the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I currently use a 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Partitions, Everyone says I am crazy but I really do not like it for Elk. This new gun will be used for early morning and late evenings when I hunt the open country, so ranges would be 50-400ish yards. As for recoil tollerace I think I am ok. I hunt the timber during the mid day hours with my 45-70 guide gun and according to the recoil calcualtor it produces 35 ftlbs of recoil and its no prob in the least to shoot on a bench. I am not sure where that puts me with other guns. Terrain is open rolling meadows to steep mountains, just depends on the day & weather. Yikes, rifle weight, I would think up to 9.5 lbs would be alright. And as far as knock down goes, that is really not a good explanation of what I am looking for. When I shoot an Elk with my 45-70 there is a definate reaction to the shot and bullet impact, and they hardly go anywhere. With my 7mm they seem to "take a hit" really well. I am very aware that I will not get a rifle that is goimg to lay them down like a coyote hit with my 7mm. I am just hoping to reduce thier travel distance after the shot. See you guys already have me thinking of stuff I had not thought of! thanks!
.............Wyoxj............Looks to me as though you just want "another" elk rifle, rather than a "new" elk rifle. Based on your opening post, my first impression was, that you didn`t own an elk rifle.

That 7mm Mag you already have, is one darn fine elk round. But if you want to reduce their travel distance after impact a greater percentage of the time, then as I have done and successfully experienced using their 30 cal, you just might want to consider trying the Berger "hunting" VLDs. The VLDs will drop elk "fast."

But if you want to expand and diversify a little, my suggestion is to go with with something in-between the 7 mag and your 45/70.

338/06, 338 Win, 340 Wby, 338 RUM?
35 Whelen?
375 H&H or 375 Ruger?

Although they can easily overlap hunting duties in certain respects, my three cartridges below and the rifles chambered for them, each have their own individual best purpose.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It sounds logical that as you go up in caliber that the elk will die faster but with the elk I have shot,and seen shot,this has really not been the case.

I have seen them dumped by 338's and 340's;poleaxed them myself with 300 mags and 7 mags.

The things that were common across the board with any of these cartridges is that good bullets were used(mostly Nosler Partitions or Bitterroots);and the bullets were well placed,and some bone(upper leg, shoulders, spine) were pentrated coming or going, along with chest cavity organs.

With pure lung hits with any of these, it was not uncommon for them to "death run",or stand,take a few steps and then expire.

I honestly doubt that there is any magic in Berger VLD's except maybe at really long range where their fragile construction helps them expand well,as I have seen Bitterroots(which fragment not at all)kill elk on the spot,and turn a chest cavity to soup.

I have dumped them where they stood with a single 160 Partition from a 7 mag,and ditto with 180 Partitions from 30 cal magnums.

I have been unable to see the magic of the 338's,but many believe in it which is good for them.Elk simply don't make it into my definition of "tough game",if they are hit properly.

Marginal hits with anything generally results in a three ring circus.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a solid consensus in elk camps I've pilfered knowledge from, that a .338 is basically unimpeachable as an elk cartridge. There really is no argument against it.

Of course, the same can be said of numerous other cartridges.

Being recoil-insensitive I have tended to err on the "big" side, and can't say that has ever let me down.

I've never ever been tempted to err on the side of crazy velocity... but I reserve the right to pull that wild hair at some point in the future! grin

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It's a solid consensus in elk camps I've pilfered knowledge from, that a .338 is basically unimpeachable as an elk cartridge. There really is no argument against it.

Jeff:Terminally you're correct...and I would hope so!A 338 is a potent cartridge!....

........but there is one drawback to it....and that is it recoils a bit stoutly for many to truly manage.

I suspect I could hunt elk for a lifetime without it, and never miss it.....I would not be terribly deprived.... smile

W
WyoXJ Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Well of course I want another rifle! Who doesn't? Truth be told I have been trying to get this new rifle for years. And everytime I get close to having the money all saved up life happens...... and that money has to go to the family. Hopefully it will work out this time. Your points are well taken that what I use now has a good rep and not to expect this new rifle to be majic. Since I am getting a new rifle I am making the adjustments that I feel should make some improvment in the one area that could use it. I dread saying aloud that I am not fond of the 7mm for elk some folks just wet their pants over it. And it always turns into a character attack on me by some. Its just my opinion and thats it. If I told you I think its a great elk round based on my experience with it I would be lying to you. Now when someone else tells me its great, do I think theyare full of it? Not at all it may have been a great elk round for them, wish it worked great for me dammit!! Thanks guys for all the great info and suggestions.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
WYO xj: I hunt your area of Wyoming,and there's not a cartridge mentioned that would not work swell there...for about anything that country has to offer IMHO smile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I've just been researching 7mm on elk, and damned if for every experienced person who says a 7mm kills 'em just as fast/well as a bigger round.... there's an experienced person who says otherwise!

+1. For every guy I know that loves his 7mm mag., there is one who does not believe in it. I am limited to 1 moose with the 7mm and was not impressed with it.
I love the 8mm mag,but it is not popular at all,which is to bad as it would "knock em dead" if you did your part. Any of the available 338's would work with the winchester being about best(IMHO). Bit if you are looking for the current best cartridge you need to look hard and long at the 325 wsm to come up with a reason as to why it would be no good for you. 30/06 size rifle(maybe even a tad smaller) with performance of nearly a 338 win mag and far less recoil.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I would probably pick the 300 Weatherby...over the 338 or 340 Wby...loaded with 200 grain Nosler Partitions...I have used all 3 calibers..the 300 Wby,338 Winchester and 340 Wby..all have worked fine for me on Elk and Moose...but I find myself reaching for an ol' pre 64 M70 30'06 loaded with 200 grain BBCs more and more when I go afield after Elk or Moose...just my opinion..

"To pick a rifle and bullet for use on game by muzzle energy alone is, at best, foolish...and can be dangerous to your own health..." Bill Steigers, April 23, 1980
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257STEW

+1. For every guy I know that loves his 7mm mag., there is one who does not believe in it. I am limited to 1 moose with the 7mm and was not impressed with it.

I know a lot of people whose bull elk tally numbers in the dozens......among them,a few are 338 advocates.Certainly not a 1 to 1 ratio.I find most of the more vocal medium bore advocates are the one's who have not killed very many bull elk....those that have, if you ask is a 7 mag enough elk rifle,will look at you like you have two heads....

I suspect most bull elk "problems" come from sloppy shooting,and not caliber.This is a tough pill for many to swallow.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I believe the Ruger Hawkeye All Weather you mentioned in .338 would leave you content.

As to the 7 mag not giving enough reaction on elk;I had a similar opinion for a time about the .30-06. I killed five elk elk with .308's and '06's. No problem. I then put three 180 partitions in the left shoulder of a larger elk. I couldn't tell I was hitting it from the reaction. It never took a step, just rolled over on its side dead. I realized a long time ago I was wrong. It is plenty for elk.

I figured I needed something bigger. The wife bought me a .338. I'm still happy. I believe the elk show more reaction to a hit from it than my '06. They don't seem to die a lot faster though.

A good friend used a 7mag for a long time. decided he wanted something bigger. Got a .375. After he killed a few elk I asked him how it did. He said if you shot them behind the shoulder they walked about 25 yards and fell over. He went back to his 7mm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

those that have, if you ask is a 7 mag enough elk rifle,will look at you like you have two heads....

Yep.

I should do a little poll at the jobsite sometime. We've got about 50 guys working right now, and to a man I'd bet that they have all killed elk. I should go around asking if a 7 mag is enough gun and see the reaction I get... grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by BobinNH

those that have, if you ask is a 7 mag enough elk rifle,will look at you like you have two heads....

Yep.

I should do a little poll at the jobsite sometime. We've got about 50 guys working right now, and to a man I'd bet that they have all killed elk. I should go around asking if a 7 mag is enough gun and see the reaction I get... grin

If you asked me if 7mm is enough for elk I would say "yes". Would I recommend a 7mm..nope. I would recommend 338win if you can shoot it and 325 wsm if you need less recoil and then the 30/06. A buddy of mine got to "cull" some Elk one year and started with a 7mm.Elk ran a ways as if not hit and then piled up.He then switched to a 375 and they piled up where they were hit. He does not recommend the 7mm and it DID kill the elk for him.
Another buddy says that the 7mm is not a very well liked round in the farm country he deer and elk hunts in. It is about a 50/50 split between like and dislike. If you like the 7mm and it works for you then do not stop using it because of little old me. All the power to you. Will it work YES. Would I recommend it...NO. 338win or 325wsm or the good old 30/06 if I was asked.

Last edited by 257STEW; 12/19/10.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rancho: Let us know poll results.... smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There's a bunch of 7mm's bouncing around the hills during elk season around my part of Montana. Bunch of dead elk too. mtmuley

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
can't be...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
We've got about 50 guys working right now, and to a man I'd bet that they have all killed elk. I should go around asking if a 7 mag is enough gun and see the reaction I get... grin

Bullchit....I bet there's a couple Mexicans(or eastern Montana hicks) that haven't even seen an elk let alone killed one.....(grin)

Last edited by SamOlson; 12/19/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those sheetrockers ain't there enough to qualify for my head count! [bleep] need to get busy!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
laughin'!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you asked me if 7mm is enough for elk I would say "yes". Would I recommend a 7mm..nope. I would recommend 338win if you can shoot it and 325 wsm if you need less recoil and then the 30/06. A buddy of mine got to "cull" some Elk one year and started with a 7mm.Elk ran a ways as if not hit and then piled up.He then switched to a 375 and they piled up where they were hit. He does not recommend the 7mm and it DID kill the elk for him.
Another buddy says that the 7mm is not a very well liked round in the farm country he deer and elk hunts in. It is about a 50/50 split between like and dislike. If you like the 7mm and it works for you then do not stop using it because of little old me. All the power to you. Will it work YES. Would I recommend it...NO. 338win or 325wsm or the good old 30/06 if I was asked.

Sorry....have to call BS on the whole thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dread saying aloud that I am not fond of the 7mm for elk some folks just wet their pants over it. And it always turns into a character attack on me by some.

You are the only one you have to satisfy. You want to hear one of my dirty little secrets. I am not overly fond of the .30/06. To me it is plain Jane vanilla when there is Rocky Road out there. I have no problems with other people using it. It is just not for me.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The 30-06 is never wrong!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
You want to hear one of my dirty little secrets. I am not overly fond of the .30/06.

LMAO. Yep. Me, too. I'm not real fond of anything in .30 caliber, not big enough to be big, too big to be small, and with a functional, if not ideal, .308 in the safe, it'd be hard to rationalize buying an '06. .270, now that's a different story. Everyone needs at least one damned adequate coyote rifle. Bwah hah hah hah ... thanks, St. Elmer.

Everything is tradeoffs.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 12/20/10.

Here be dragons ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WyoXJ: Since I've not had the PRIVILEGE to hunt elk YET, I don't presume to tell anyone what to use.

However as a LONG TIME gunner, shooter, & handloader I would like to tell you which GUN/CALIBER I would not choose. I am NOT particularly recoil sensitive. I have chosen to hunt the last three deer seasons w/a LIGHT M70 300 WM. (harvested 8or9 deer, 3 very nice bucks for the area.)

I HAD a tang safety Ruger 77 338WM shooting 225 gr. bullets. It is the ONLY gun/cartridge that HURT,HURT to shoot. (straight stock, MINIMUM butt pad) NOTICE I said HAD. I had already shot an 8mm RM, which I now own; and loaded and shot a 375 HH which was not mine. Those were PLEASANT compared to that Ruger 338.

I am NOT saying the 338 is a BAD elk round. I'm saying be careful WHAT GUN it is in.

I suspect you already have, but in case you haven't, check out the thread "Best Elk Cartridge in the World" here. Then go to page 30, check out KC's post about TWO surveys. The 338 and some other big calibers were LOW in percentages, even just barely mentioned. Must be some reason.

I'm only trying to give you some suggestions that might help you have a HAPPY RELATIONSHIP with your new elk rifle.

JWALL

An Old Handloader Deaf in Left Ear

Last edited by JWALL; 12/23/10.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I currently use a 7mm Rem Mag with 160gr Partitions, Everyone says I am crazy but I really do not like it for Elk.

Crazy? Not hardly � the 7mm RM and 160 Partitions are a very effective combo for elk.

This new gun will be used for early morning and late evenings when I hunt the open country, so ranges would be 50-400ish yards. ...

My first choices would be a Ruger in .338 WM or RCM, and I�d lean toward the RCM with its 20� barrel.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I used to hunt iwth a guy that shot a 340 Wby. I think Swift A Frame 250's. That IS and elk thumper!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used the Hornady 162 SPBT.........um never again. I used these on my first Elk and they came apart badly. It was not a good.

I made the same mistake on my first elk. Wasn't at all happy with the results, although the bull was cooperative enough to lay down and take a finisher.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the OP -

have not read this hole thread, but am sure you are taken good care off.

These guys kno their stuff. Only one thing they can not get into their thick heads -

nothing does it like a .45-70 Gov. Especially one shot from a Marlin.

I see an avid pro at work that ditches the inferior tool used for stand hunting to go into the thick after the elk with a Marlin .45-70.

It is what I do with their european breathren:

[Linked Image]

You will not get that kind of "oumph" from any other cartridge.

That said - since you are hunting open country, just take the money and pay a spotter and a finder/packer and continue using the 7mm/160gr.

or just sitch to an TSX.

There is a thought...

whistle

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont think there is a better elk cartridge around than a .338 RUM if you are considering bigger bores than .284. Mine puhes 250 gr Accubonds or TSX's at 3010 fps. with RL25 or Retumbo. It delivers as much energy at 400 yards as an 06' does at the muzzle. Kicks like a dirty whore - 60 lbs of recoil with that load. Elk hammer.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I dont think there is a better elk cartridge around than a .338 RUM if you are considering bigger bores than .284. Mine puhes 250 gr Accubonds or TSX's at 3010 fps. with RL25 or Retumbo. It delivers as much energy at 400 yards as an 06' does at the muzzle. Kicks like a dirty whore - 60 lbs of recoil with that load. Elk hammer.
....................Maybe I`ll keep that in mind for my next elk hunt. I can load my 338-378 Bee Accumark down to 338 RUM levels.

It`ll be just like shootin a 338 RUM but from a Wby rifle....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've only killed 4 elk with mine, but all were one shot boom flops and the distances were 425, 330, 210 and 85 yards. Shot placement was perfect on 2, not so good on 2 (offhand on the 210 shot, strong crosswind on the 425). I've killed elk with .243, .25-06, .264 Win, 7mmSAUM, .280AI, .300 Win. and they all die if the bullet is in the right spot. We have some huge bodied Rosevelts over here though and I love the way the .338 puts the smack on them.

That .338-378 is a beast. Have you tried the 250 AB in it?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Killertraylor
I've only killed 4 elk with mine, but all were one shot boom flops and the distances were 425, 330, 210 and 85 yards. Shot placement was perfect on 2, not so good on 2 (offhand on the 210 shot, strong crosswind on the 425). I've killed elk with .243, .25-06, .264 Win, 7mmSAUM, .280AI, .300 Win. and they all die if the bullet is in the right spot. We have some huge bodied Rosevelts over here though and I love the way the .338 puts the smack on them.

That .338-378 is a beast. Have you tried the 250 AB in it?
...........Not yet! I have some 225s I`ll go through first. Using H1000 and Retumbo for starters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would recommend a Mannlicher Pro Hunter in Stainless in 300 Winny. You can find (but very rare) one in 8x57. I missed my chance a couple of years ago on GB. Keep your eyes peeled as they show up occasionally.

.243 Win
6,5x55 SE
.25-06 Rem
.270 Win
7 mm-08 Rem
.308 Win
.30-06 Spr.

magnum-caliber:
.300 Win. Mag.
7 mm WSM*
.270 WSM*
.300 WSM*

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the assumption that you plan to hunt in Wyoming (we live in Pinedale) you don't need a cannon or a sniper wannabe rifle.

Don't know your budget but if
Low: an older 700BDL in 7mm remmag with VX III 2.5-8 Leupold
Middle: A SAKO or Kimber in 300 WinMag or 338 WinMag with the same scope or upgrade to a Zeiss, Nightforce or Kahles
Big Bucks: Dakota with Schmidt or Swaro in 300/338WM

Now all that said you can kill any Elk that walks (on the assumption you are a hunter) with a Marlin XL 30-06 and a 4X Weaver and Remington softpoint factory ammo.

There is more BS about Elk hunting (mostly written by experts who have never killed one).... second only to Antelope "experts".

These killed our last three:
1932 RF Sedgley Springfield, 400 Whelen, 2.5x Leupold Alaskan, 350 gr X, 250 yds
1809 Baker British Military flinter 1.2 ounce .61 cal cast bullet, 80 gr FFG, 18 paces
R-1 Benelli, 300 Winmag, 168 TSX, 2.5-10x32 Nightforce, 280 yards.
The best one was taken with the flinter......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Newt-Condi 2012
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoXJ: I recommend the Remington 700 SPS Stainless in caliber 7mm Remington Magnum!
These SPS Rifles are lightweight and rugged have great triggers, are very accurate and are very economical.
For Wyoming country I would also recommend a Leupold silver finish scope and either handloads or factory ammo that features the wonderfully accurate and lethal Nosler 160 grain Partition bullets!
I have used the 7mm Remington Magnum and the Nosler 160's for much of my Elk Hunting for the last 25 years and am VERY impressed with them.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd look at a new Winchester Model 70 EW in .325 WSM. I'm not exactly a huge fan of the short mags but this one should thump nearly as well on the business end as a .338 Winny but should be noticeably kinder to your shoulder.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Killer, you are correct with good shot placement, you can kill an elk with any medium to large caliber cartridge. Anything from a 264 Win to a one of the 300 Mags will work fine.

I've taken two elk in AZ and NM both with a muzzle loader but "my" elk rifle is a Browning Stainless Stalker in 7mm Mag. Distance and especially wind are you biggest factors in having good shot placement. In general faster flying heavier bullets tend to have less wind drift. Pick a rifle that you can shoot well and know how drop and wind at the ranges you will shoot and you'll be good to go.

Hookman

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
325 wsm is what I use. Kimber 8400 Montana. .75 to 1 inch groups at 100 yards Recoil is very managable even in this light short action rifle. Definatly a handloader round as a box of shells runs about 50-60 bucks and very few offerings avaible.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BossLady
On the assumption that you plan to hunt in Wyoming (we live in Pinedale) you don't need a cannon or a sniper wannabe rifle.

Don't know your budget but if
Low: an older 700BDL in 7mm remmag with VX III 2.5-8 Leupold
Middle: A SAKO or Kimber in 300 WinMag or 338 WinMag with the same scope or upgrade to a Zeiss, Nightforce or Kahles
Big Bucks: Dakota with Schmidt or Swaro in 300/338WM

Now all that said you can kill any Elk that walks (on the assumption you are a hunter) with a Marlin XL 30-06 and a 4X Weaver and Remington softpoint factory ammo.

There is more BS about Elk hunting (mostly written by experts who have never killed one).... second only to Antelope "experts".

These killed our last three:
1932 RF Sedgley Springfield, 400 Whelen, 2.5x Leupold Alaskan, 350 gr X, 250 yds
1809 Baker British Military flinter 1.2 ounce .61 cal cast bullet, 80 gr FFG, 18 paces
R-1 Benelli, 300 Winmag, 168 TSX, 2.5-10x32 Nightforce, 280 yards.
The best one was taken with the flinter......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Is the flinter an original or a reproduction? Nice looking rifle BTW.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would add a Weatherby Vanguard stainless/synthetic in 300 Weatherby Mag for about $400 new under the low category, but think that used Rem BDL in 7mm Rem Mag is a great choice also!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
Select the gun you shot the best. Shot placement is more important than caliber. If you have some friends with different caliber ask to see if they will let you shoot them. The question is how much recoil can you accurately shoot after hiking up a mountain to shoot across the canyon?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by yellowstone
Select the gun you shot the best. Shot placement is more important than caliber. If you have some friends with different caliber ask to see if they will let you shoot them. The question is how much recoil can you accurately shoot after hiking up a mountain to shoot across the canyon?

I think the recoil question is a good one, but if it bothers you it will bother you from the bench first, which will be reflected when you shoot it in the field. If you're recoil sensitive get a 270 Winchester, shoot lots of varmints or targets with those lovely Sierra 90g HPs at around 3200 fps (a light load) and shoot a premium 150g bullet (Nosler Partition IMO) at 2900 fps or a little better for elk. It kills them like lightning out to 400 yards, never shot an elk any further so can't tell you how it works out to 500 ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
if you are getting stainless then you need to get a remington sendero or a remington 700ti depending on which weight you want.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I'd look at a new Winchester Model 70 EW in .325 WSM. I'm not exactly a huge fan of the short mags but this one should thump nearly as well on the business end as a .338 Winny but should be noticeably kinder to your shoulder.

The .325 indeed whacks elk with authority, and indeed kicks a bit less than a .338.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by yellowstone

Hmm, I'm still trying to decide why he's directed his statement towards me. Are you asking me which rifle I shoot the best after hiking up a mountain? Do you want me to ask my friends if I can borrow their rifles? I've got more rifles than all my friends put together so I don't think that will work??? Do I have the option of shooting off a pack or stump or do you want me to offhand it?? How far will I be shooting??? Will anyone else be shooting and will money be involved??? Beer??? I'm puzzled.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This sort of thread, regardless of which type forum, is always good for 50-500 responses with 50-500 opinions.

When a man wants a new gun, he just has to go get it. I've done it many times.

I know a guy or two who have killed everything I ever hunted with a 30-06. You definitely are not undergunned.

I have killed a few elk with a 7mag, but I got a lot better performance out of 175 partition rather than 160s. For some reason the drop at 300 was significantly less for the 175. Gotta feedem what they like.

That said, the last 20 years I have considered my gun to be 338WM, with Nosler 210s. Only had one case where I had to shoot twice, but I was lucky enough that all the shots were well placed.

Naught's had, alls spent
When desire is got without content
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bobelk99
When a man wants a new gun, he just has to go get it.

I like that answer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,823
Posts18,516,764
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.