Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I bought a 300 wsm ss vangaurd bansher stock luepold scope 6x here on the campfire..i love the rifle,but..
It will put the first 2 shots touching or almost touching everytime from a cold barrel..3rd shot opens it to 1 1/2 to 2'' low and left ..im pretty sure its the barrel..
I AM IN NO WAY COMPLAINING ABOUT MY PURCHASE i love the rifle..but its driving me nuts trying to decide if i should rebarrel it because i love everything about it or should i just be grateful i can count on 2 shots to almost touch at 100 yds?
ive never shot anything more than once..and very few times had to fire twice..most game here is GONE after the first one if you miss..i havent killed alot of big game but varmints galore and still its rare to get 2 shots at fleeing game..and then im left to wonder if the NEW barrel will be as good with the first 2 as this one is..any opinions?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like a bedding issue my friend...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It would bug me. I once chased a Ruger MKII to the tune of around $1K in work trying fix something just like you describe. It never went away. In the end decided it needed a new barrel. Lots of folks told me it wasn't worth rebarreling a Ruger. So I never did.

Probably should have.

Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bedding is my bet. Barrel heats after two and throws 1" off original POI. If it is a hunting rifle all three are bringing home dinner. First check to make sure barrel is free floated by running a dollar bill under it. If it gets tight, relieve a little stock with fine sandpaper on your finger untill the dollar runs free to the action. That is the cheapest, first test. I think it will probably get rid of the flyer.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
ran a dollar up to 1/4'' in front of the scope then it stuck..needs to be all the way to the action?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your shooting factory ammo, most are fairly hot loads. The barrel's heating up and getting twisty.

I have a 7WSM that will make a big hole with the first 2 shots, then 3rd will wander a bit when the ambient temp is 80 or better. Stress in the bbl will cause it as well.

I would fully free float it to see if that helps, 2" is quite a ways for one to throw the 3rd shot.

Even if bedding don't solve it, it's still a good hunting rig, just not a group shooter.

JM

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JDinTexas
ran a dollar up to 1/4'' in front of the scope then it stuck..needs to be all the way to the action?

Bedding is usually done to about an inch, or so, beyond where the barrel meets the receiver. From your original description "first 2 shots touching or almost touching everytime from a cold barrel..3rd shot opens it to 1 1/2 to 2'' low and left" I'd think the barrel is touching the right side of the barrel channel closer to the end of the forearm when the barrel heats up. Take it to the range and shoot two shots then try the dollar bill - you'll then see where it's hitting and where you need to remove material from the stock channel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JDinTexas

Yep, or nearly so. Up to within an inch or so anyway. Sounds like you have found your group gremlin. while it is apart, might want to bed the action area, there is a stickied methodology to that here.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (44mc, B52RadarNav, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 35, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,485
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.